Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just picked up my 17"

Just picked up my 17"
kmingis
Mar 18, 2003, 01:51 PM

Posting from the Cambridge Apple Store. I had put my name on the waiting list in January and to my SHOCK got a call today about 11:15 at work saying they had gotten in 5 of the 17-inch PBs here, and was I still interested in mine? Duoh!!@!! So here I am with a 17" in my hand. No time to post pix yet as I have to get back to work, though the Apple Store guy took one and said he'd send it to me by e-mail (stupid pic of me and the box). The box is like the one for the PB 12, black, by the way. I CANNOT believe this. I've been lurking these forums for weeks now, waiting to hear about the latest on when these beauties would be out.
Well they're here, folks. I have one. It's real. Get psyched! More details to come when I can get to it this afternoon. (How will I EVER get work done today?)

exodar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2003, 01:57 PM

DUDE!!! Get sick, and leave work now!! We need pics of it pronto. Especially with the backlit keyboard turned on. I have read so many things about the color of it being white instead of blue-ish.

Jacket
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2003, 02:00 PM

ughh. i hate my life... mine hasn't even shipped yet....

tick tock tick tock..

just tell me that it's well worth the wait.
Another PC to PB17 Switcher
Became the proud new owner of a PB17 on 03/22/03
http://www.mattmargolis.com (Part of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy)

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2003, 02:01 PM

It is more whitish than bluish.
Am I still here?

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2003, 02:04 PM

I am sure it will take very little time for some Japanese dude to figure out how to change the lights on the keyboard

erichen
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2003, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by exodar:
DUDE!!! Get sick, and leave work now!! We need pics of it pronto. Especially with the backlit keyboard turned on. I have read so many things about the color of it being white instead of blue-ish.
Good idea! I will call-in sick on 28th, the arrival day for my PowerBook 17" here in Taiwan! Spend the whole day installing all the software, back-up datas from my iDisk....
I'm going to Tokyo this Friday, hopefully they will have many 17" related products/cases.

~Eric
http://homepage.mac.com/erichen

(just hang-on for 10 more days.......)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2003, 02:10 PM

Congrats! Looking forward to the review.

When you get the chance, please post your SuperDrive firmware revision number here.

maelstrom65
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2003, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by kmingis:
Posting from the Cambridge Apple Store. I had put my name on the waiting list in January and to my SHOCK got a call today about 11:15 at work saying they had gotten in 5 of the 17-inch PBs here, and was I still interested in mine? Duoh!!@!! So here I am with a 17" in my hand. No time to post pix yet as I have to get back to work, though the Apple Store guy took one and said he'd send it to me by e-mail (stupid pic of me and the box). The box is like the one for the PB 12, black, by the way. I CANNOT believe this. I've been lurking these forums for weeks now, waiting to hear about the latest on when these beauties would be out.
Well they're here, folks. I have one. It's real. Get psyched! More details to come when I can get to it this afternoon. (How will I EVER get work done today?)
no no no...work bad....playing with new powerbook gooooood. Need review...need pics...must have....resistance is futile (hehehe)

Congrats dude

"Hermann Goering would have been better than Rimmer. Okay, he was a drug-crazed transvestite
but at least we could have gone dancing" - David Lister 3rd Technician JMCS Red Dwarf

PowerBook G4 17"
ADS External FW HD Enclosure w/ a WD120Gb 7200 RPM Drive
30Gb iPod
Logitech MX500 Optical Mouse
Logitech Elite Keyboard
Sony SJ22 Clie'
Powermate
Powerwave
iCurve
iBot Pro (Deceased)
iSight

SummitWynds
Mar 18, 2003, 02:17 PM

Any idea how many the Cambridge store got in??

I am 4th on the list for the Rockingham store (put my name on the list in January) and am anxiously awaiting a phone call.

djjava
Senior User
Mar 18, 2003, 02:47 PM

I live 40 minutes frmo Cambridge, I also ordered from apple.com at Rockingham Mall, NH (tax-free baby). Geez.. who woulda thought.

i live closer to the North Shore, Mass. Mac Store. Unfortunately, they never have a clue there as to when they're getting anything. I'll just stick it out on Apple.com.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

GeekyJeff
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2003, 02:48 PM

CRAP! I want mine. I ordered on 1/15 and estimated ship is still 3/28. No tracking or CC charge. ARGGHHH!

kmingis  (op)
Mar 18, 2003, 02:53 PM

Okay guys, back at work, and of course HAD to fire it up. Co-worker took pix. Hope to be able to post at least one of them shortly.
It's running 10.2.4 version 6J25. So far it's flawless. Screen is bright with no dead pixels. Trackpad clicker shows no signs of sticking as some of the early PB 12s did. No wobble. Screen frame is solid and it opens smoothly. It's heavier than I'd expected but I'm sure I can get used to it!!!! Someone up higher in the thread had asked about the superdrive firmware version. Checking Apple System profiler shows its a MATSHITA drive, product ID: DVD-R UJ-815. Hope that answers the question. Keyboard is as solid as the PB 12s. Hard Drive is a Fujitsu MHS2060AT (Rev 8105).... More to come. Questions? My god I AM so psyched about this machine. Co-workers were oohing and aahing. :-)

maelstrom65
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2003, 02:59 PM

Okay guys, back at work, and of course HAD to fire it up. Co-worker took pix. Hope to be able to post at least one of them shortly.
It's running 10.2.4 version 6J25. So far it's flawless. Screen is bright with no dead pixels. Trackpad clicker shows no signs of sticking as some of the early PB 12s did. No wobble. Screen frame is solid and it opens smoothly. It's heavier than I'd expected but I'm sure I can get used to it!!!! Someone up higher in the thread had asked about the superdrive firmware version. Checking Apple System profiler shows its a MATSHITA drive, product ID: DVD-R UJ-815. Hope that answers the question. Keyboard is as solid as the PB 12s. Hard Drive is a Fujitsu MHS2060AT (Rev 8105).... More to come. Questions? My god I AM so psyched about this machine. Co-workers were oohing and aahing. :-)
You realize of course that I hate you. But in a healthy, good, envious sort of way...

Can't wait to see more pics and comments.

Cheers

"Hermann Goering would have been better than Rimmer. Okay, he was a drug-crazed transvestite
but at least we could have gone dancing" - David Lister 3rd Technician JMCS Red Dwarf

PowerBook G4 17"
30Gb iPod
Logitech Elite Keyboard
Sony SJ22 Clie'
Powermate
Powerwave
iCurve
iBot Pro (Deceased)
iSight

dettociao
Senior User
Mar 18, 2003, 03:06 PM

seriously, you need to post a review right now. I'm waiting to decide if i should get a 17" or wait for a 15"AIbook. cmooon....
-.-
12" SuperDrive

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2003, 03:13 PM

Someone up higher in the thread had asked about the superdrive firmware version. Checking Apple System profiler shows its a MATSHITA drive, product ID: DVD-R UJ-815.
Thanks, but I was actually looking for the "Device Revision". See here:

It should be something like "D0CB" or D0C7" or something like that.

And when you finally come down off that 17" cloud, when you get the chance I'd appreciate it if you could vote in the firmware poll. Give me time to change the poll though, if necessary.

Somehow I'm guessing the 17" laptops will NOT have the D0C7 firmware that the Macworld display one had.
( Last edited by Eug; Mar 18, 2003 at 03:20 PM. )

tanhauser
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2003, 03:15 PM

Woo hoo!!

That's great news! Congrats dude!! Wish I was lucky enough to live close to an Apple Store. Alas, I still have to wait till they start shipping here in Sweden...

F

euphras
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2003, 03:16 PM

REAL WORLD PIC�S P L E A S E

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

kmingis  (op)
Mar 18, 2003, 03:19 PM

Maelstrom65, I understand. I would never have dreamed driving into work today that I'd get a call from the Apple Store. I guess it DOES make a difference getting in line there online or in person. (I actually called them back after hanging up to make sure this wasn't a goof.) I'm really amazed at how bright the screen is. It reminds me of the iMac, of course, but it doesn't seem to be *quite* as bright. Still, it's brighter then the 12-inch PB, and seems to be on par or slightly brighter then the TiBooks. I took it into a dark room to see the keyboard light up. As I'd seen posted elsewhere it's much more of a white light--not purple as it seems on the Apple site. The screen dims very gradually as the keyboard comes up. TOTALLY cool!. As you'd expect, system response is very, dare I say, snappy. Apple System Profiler for example, launches the second time around in about 2.5 bounces. I should note that this is totally stock, so it has the 512MB RAM chip in it. I will, of course, be ordering another 512MB chip later today.
As for heat: none so far. It's been charging for about 40 minutes (battery was at 88% when I plugged it in)....

maelstrom65
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2003, 03:39 PM

Maelstrom65, I understand. I would never have dreamed driving into work today that I'd get a call from the Apple Store. I guess it DOES make a difference getting in line there online or in person. (I actually called them back after hanging up to make sure this wasn't a goof.) I'm really amazed at how bright the screen is. It reminds me of the iMac, of course, but it doesn't seem to be *quite* as bright. Still, it's brighter then the 12-inch PB, and seems to be on par or slightly brighter then the TiBooks. I took it into a dark room to see the keyboard light up. As I'd seen posted elsewhere it's much more of a white light--not purple as it seems on the Apple site. The screen dims very gradually as the keyboard comes up. TOTALLY cool!. As you'd expect, system response is very, dare I say, snappy. Apple System Profiler for example, launches the second time around in about 2.5 bounces. I should note that this is totally stock, so it has the 512MB RAM chip in it. I will, of course, be ordering another 512MB chip later today.
As for heat: none so far. It's been charging for about 40 minutes (battery was at 88% when I plugged it in)....
Damnit...since you posted your initial comments about recieving the PB, I've been checking the apple order status page every few minutes hoping to see a tracking number...but, alas, none yet. My email is screwed up right now so I keep thinking Apple may have emailed me the change in status but that I'm not getting it. I lead a sad life apparently and this wait is killing me.

PowerBook G4 17"
30Gb iPod
Logitech Elite Keyboard
Sony SJ22 Clie'
Powermate
Powerwave
iCurve
iBot Pro (Deceased)
iSight

kmingis  (op)
Mar 18, 2003, 03:43 PM

Eug, I just looked again. The Rev number is: DWDB. Hope this helps. Oh, and for anyone who wants to see the silly pic of me with the box in my hand at the Apple store it's here: http://www.kenmingis.com/kenpowerbook.jpg
If I could crop myself out, I would, but at least you know it's real. :-) Close-ups of the Powerbook opening to come once my co-worker downloads them, which hopefully will be soon. ken

SummitWynds
Mar 18, 2003, 03:44 PM

The wait is killing me too.

I called Rockingham earlier and they told me they had gotten some in and had made their calls.

Then I called back to see how many they had gotten (Im #4 on the list) and was told by someone else that they hadnt gotten any in.

I sure hope they didn't get some in and call their friends to buy them. I really need mine seeing as I sold my Ti in January. I think I will take a ride up there tomorrow and see what the scoop is.

SummitWynds
Mar 18, 2003, 03:47 PM

Congratulations, Ken!!!

drainyoo
Senior User
Mar 18, 2003, 03:48 PM

Godo for you man. Enjoy it.

I called the APPLE Store in Roosevelt Field Mall on Long Island and they said they had 2 in stock and sold both of them. DAMN IT!
i hate project managers.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2003, 03:49 PM

Eug, I just looked again. The Rev number is: DWDB. Hope this helps. Oh, and for anyone who wants to see the silly pic of me with the box in my hand at the Apple store it's here: http://www.kenmingis.com/kenpowerbook.jpg
If I could crop myself out, I would, but at least you know it's real. :-) Close-ups of the Powerbook opening to come once my co-worker downloads them, which hopefully will be soon. ken
Thanks. DWDB? Interesting. For some reason I can't modify the poll however.

BTW, handsome picture. (I'm talking about the PowerBook of course. )

exodar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2003, 04:01 PM

COME ON KEN!!! Where are those pics man!!! I know you are not actually able to do a single damn thing at work with that new 17" in your hands. So STOP BEING GREEDY and share some kick ass pics

kmingis  (op)
Mar 18, 2003, 04:04 PM

The powerbook is MUCH better looking than I am. :-) But who doesn't look good with one of these in your lap!

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2003, 04:05 PM

hehe..funny picture.. Have fun with your new toy
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Jacket
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2003, 04:10 PM

give us the scoop. the photos... the glory, the joy, the wonder, the excitement..

also, there's been talk on another thread regarding the reliable of burning DVDs. anyone who's acquire a PB17, and intends to burn DVDs, please give the scoop on the "coaster factor" and any other issues revolving around the DVD... like can you operate other programs while burning.. which program is best.. etc. etc. etc..
Another PC to PB17 Switcher
Became the proud new owner of a PB17 on 03/22/03
http://www.mattmargolis.com (Part of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy)

gpco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2003, 04:14 PM

Thats the greatest pic of a Mac user with his brand new Mac, smile dude, you're very lucky.

Congrats !!!

Think different.

SummitWynds
Mar 18, 2003, 04:20 PM

He looks pretty proud of his 17", and he should be!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

kmingis  (op)
Mar 18, 2003, 04:24 PM

As soon as I get home, I'm whipping out the digital camera and will take loving shots from every angle. I'm just jazzed for everyone who is getting one of these. I have to admit I was a little nervous, given that this must be one of the first batch of a Rev A machine. So far, as I said, no problems. Battery is topped off, indicates a full charge and the charging light for the power adapter turned green, as it should. I know some folks have had problems getting their PB 12 batteries to charge fully. That does not seem to be a problem with this machine.

macnnhelpme
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2003, 04:35 PM

Grrr...the store in Columbus got 6 and they are all gone. should have gotten my name on the list earlier.

Simian
Mar 18, 2003, 04:38 PM

I wanna see some pictures! Please (with a sad puppy dog face)
They say the mind bends and twists in order to deal with the horrors of life...
...Sometimes the mind bends so much it snaps in two. :)
TMB-PS2

kmingis  (op)
Mar 18, 2003, 04:40 PM

Sorry folks, this is the best I can do til tonight.
Picture links:
http://www.kenmingis.com/pb.jpg
http://www.kenmingis.com/pb2.jpg
http://www.kenmingis.com/pb3.jpg

exodar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2003, 04:41 PM

I think we should start composing a list of particular pictures we would like Ken to take or questions we would like him to answer.

I will start:

1. Picture of the lit keyboard turned on

2. Close-up picture of the hinge mechanism (that is a lot of screen to support, curious about the build)

3. What does the keyboard feel like to type on? I always had problems with past powerbooks in that my fingers would catch on the keys above the ones I was using as the keys travelled back up. (does that make sense?)

4. How is the rigidity of that big bad boy? If you lift it with one side, does it bend like a gymnast or what?!?

5. Does the screen feel too flimsy when opening or closing?

exodar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2003, 04:43 PM

Sorry folks, this is the best I can do til tonight.
Picture links:
http://www.kenmingis.com/pb.jpg
http://www.kenmingis.com/pb2.jpg
http://www.kenmingis.com/pb3.jpg
It looks so sweet man...I AM SO JEALOUS! Thanks for the immediate pics! It doesn't really look as big in someones hands as I imagined. Either it is smaller than I was imagining or you are a large man?!? Not saying that you are fat or anything

urrl5201
Mar 18, 2003, 04:44 PM

Someone posted about his 17" hinge being a bit weak on another forum. Have you noticed this? Also does the screen lid close reasonably evenly? Congrats on your purchase and thanks for sharing. Wow; it really doesn't look that big and imposing at all...
( Last edited by urrl5201; Mar 18, 2003 at 04:49 PM. )

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2003, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by urrl5201:
Someone posted about his 17" hinge being a bit weak on another forum. Have you noticed this? Also does the screen lid close reasonably evenly? Congrats on your purchase and thanks for sharing. Wow; it really doesn't look that big and imposing at all...
which forum? link please?

exodar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2003, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by urrl5201:
Wow; it really doesn't look that big and imposing at all...
My thoughts exactly! It doesn't appear to be the monster I envisioned. Maybe it is not Lapzilla after all.

urrl5201
Mar 18, 2003, 04:55 PM

It is a macosrumors forum. Sorry, no link, very busy at job. He did get his 17" and posted pictures. You guys/gals should check it out if interested.

GreenwoodMO
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2003, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by Patcarla:
which forum? link please?
Try this link

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2003, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by GreenwoodMO:
Try this link
Thanks

euphras
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2003, 05:12 PM

Quote:
"Originally posted by kmingis:
Sorry folks, this is the best I can do til tonight."

Congrats, man!!!!!

You�re a lucky dude i know how you feel, i know it if it was yesterday.

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

kmingis  (op)
Mar 18, 2003, 05:58 PM

Actually, to me it seems pretty large, mostly because I've been playing with a PB 12 for the last month or so. (I was lucky enough to get one with no flaws, and will likely be selling it soon, as even I have no need for more than one laptop!) Regarding the keyboard, if you've typed on the PB 12, then you'll know what it feels like. Seems to be the same, though the distance between the front of the machine and keyboard seems enormous at first!!!!! The PB 12 is an incredibly sweet machine in its own right and for travelers is a great choice. You can definitely feel the weight difference with this one.
I'm not seeing any flex when I pick it from the side, though I'm a little nervous to be tossing it around too much! Ha! The hinge seems to be very well balanced and weighted, too. When I push in the release button, the screen pops up about an inch and half.
Regarding its size vis-a-vis me, I'm 6'3, 220 or so, which makes me on the large side, I guess. So the PB 17 doesn't seem quite so big in comparison in the pictures.
As for pix you'd like for me to take, yes, DO let me know what you want photographed. I'll be glad to snap some tonight while moving files, etc.
And THANKS for all the kind comments and cheers. I just happened to be lucky to get one so early. Believe me, I've been sweating the wait as much as everyone else!

exodar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2003, 06:38 PM

Actually, to me it seems pretty large, mostly because I've been playing with a PB 12 for the last month or so. (I was lucky enough to get one with no flaws, and will likely be selling it soon, as even I have no need for more than one laptop!) Regarding the keyboard, if you've typed on the PB 12, then you'll know what it feels like. Seems to be the same, though the distance between the front of the machine and keyboard seems enormous at first!!!!! The PB 12 is an incredibly sweet machine in its own right and for travelers is a great choice. You can definitely feel the weight difference with this one.
I'm not seeing any flex when I pick it from the side, though I'm a little nervous to be tossing it around too much! Ha! The hinge seems to be very well balanced and weighted, too. When I push in the release button, the screen pops up about an inch and half.
Regarding its size vis-a-vis me, I'm 6'3, 220 or so, which makes me on the large side, I guess. So the PB 17 doesn't seem quite so big in comparison in the pictures.
As for pix you'd like for me to take, yes, DO let me know what you want photographed. I'll be glad to snap some tonight while moving files, etc.
And THANKS for all the kind comments and cheers. I just happened to be lucky to get one so early. Believe me, I've been sweating the wait as much as everyone else!
Thanks for the response to my questions. It sounds as though the 17" is just as rugged as the 12" even though it is thinner. Another quick question...and my biggest worry overall...any dead pixels? I have had some bad luck with my last two Macs. Seems I always end up with one or two.

BrettOZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2003, 06:56 PM

kmingis, Congrats on your new Dream machine - I think everyone can tell from the MASSIVE smile on your face that you are one Happy Customer (even with the long delay in shipment)!

Guess we will have to wait for some time down here in Australia before we even see one of these wonders

dedpixhl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2003, 07:08 PM

Congrats on receiving the 17-inch! I'll probably have a longer wait than most (need $$$), but I'll manage to somehow maintain my sanity. Looking forward to those pictures!

spathi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2003, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by BrettOZ:
Guess we will have to wait for some time down here in Australia before we even see one of these wonders
I know i can't wait myself! anyone have a guestimate for oz?

Last time i contacted my reseller they said they honestly didnt know when they would receive stock, but would let me know when. (That was about a week ago).
17" PB /w 1 gig of ram

BrettOZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2003, 08:03 PM

spathi, I was told end of April up here in Brisbane by a reseller

The mini me Powerbook ad got plenty of TV commercial time - and the 12" PBs weren't even on the shelves Although I have noticed them showing up in Apple Centres all over Brisbane now...

kmingis  (op)
Mar 18, 2003, 08:20 PM

Hi exodar. As best I can tell, there are no dead pixels on the 17. I'm about to take pix of it and the PB 12 side by side. I'll also *try* to get pix of the keyboard in the dark. I'mm not sure how they'll show up though.
Links with pix to come shortly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules