Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Problem With 17" Powerbook!!!

Problem With 17" Powerbook!!!
rcarlosnyc
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2003, 12:20 AM

OK, people... I have a problem.

As I'm using my 17" PBook and I quit apps or change windows, if I move the mouse around while doing so, the most will freeze in place, then jump and start moving again. Is this happening to anyone else?

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2003, 12:37 AM

Make sure your wrist isn't leaning on the trackpad or something...thats probably the #1 cause of issues like that.

PS. No problems like that on mine whatsoever.
Am I still here?

Karim
Senior User
Mar 21, 2003, 12:39 AM

No problem here

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2003, 12:42 AM

Yeah, that trackpad is so big it would be easy to contact it in more than one place at the same time.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

rcarlosnyc  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2003, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by JayTi:
Make sure your wrist isn't leaning on the trackpad or something...thats probably the #1 cause of issues like that.

PS. No problems like that on mine whatsoever.
No, it happens when I quit an application.

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2003, 02:16 AM

That's weird. I would suggest that you erase ths HD and do a fresh install of the OS. Sounds like a corrption somewhere.

I don't want to worry you, but the preproduction units at MWSF did that. I'm am 99% sure that it's the install though - problems like what I mentioned are exceedingly rare in production units, and noone else is having a similar problem. I would also reccomend a small (a couple GB) partition to store your OS9 stuff. Keeps it simple when you don't get Classic stuff mixed in with native stuff.

Good luck. Let us know if that doesn't work. If it doesn't also run the Hardware Test CD to determine if there is a hardware malfunction somewhere. If the fresh install fails, it's time to give Apple tech support a call - there might be an easy hardware fix.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2003, 03:12 AM

Try rebooting.

If that does not work, threaten it. Do you have a cat?
I, ASIMO.

rcarlosnyc  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2003, 03:35 AM

Originally posted by ASIMO:
Try rebooting.

If that does not work, threaten it. Do you have a cat?

If I had a cat I would punch it in the neck, put it in the freezer then throw it out the 4th story window. I hate cats!

rcarlosnyc  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2003, 03:37 AM

Originally posted by swsteckly:
That's weird. I would suggest that you erase ths HD and do a fresh install of the OS. Sounds like a corrption somewhere.

I don't want to worry you, but the preproduction units at MWSF did that. I'm am 99% sure that it's the install though - problems like what I mentioned are exceedingly rare in production units, and noone else is having a similar problem. I would also reccomend a small (a couple GB) partition to store your OS9 stuff. Keeps it simple when you don't get Classic stuff mixed in with native stuff.

Good luck. Let us know if that doesn't work. If it doesn't also run the Hardware Test CD to determine if there is a hardware malfunction somewhere. If the fresh install fails, it's time to give Apple tech support a call - there might be an easy hardware fix.

I already removed OS 9. If it's not OS X native it doesn't run on any of my Macs.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2003, 04:02 AM

Originally posted by rcarlosnyc:
If I had a cat I would punch it in the neck, put it in the freezer then throw it out the 4th story window. I hate cats!
I would not recommend such cruelty. From the fourth floor, you realize you could kill someone with a frozen cat, right?
I, ASIMO.

Radiosity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2003, 10:45 AM

It sounds like you're hitting Cmd-Q and moving the trackpad at the same time. Uncheck the "ignore trackpad while typing" box and see if this fixes the problem.

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2003, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by Radiosity:
It sounds like you're hitting Cmd-Q and moving the trackpad at the same time. Uncheck the "ignore trackpad while typing" box and see if this fixes the problem.
I second this. If all else fails, erase and install OS X again, freshly. There's nothing like the smell of a fresh install to get you up in the morning.
Am I still here?

drainyoo
Senior User
Mar 21, 2003, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by rcarlosnyc:
OK, people... I have a problem.

As I'm using my 17" PBook and I quit apps or change windows, if I move the mouse around while doing so, the most will freeze in place, then jump and start moving again. Is this happening to anyone else?

Im getting the exact same thing. Its happening to me. Did you figure this out?
i hate project managers.

hall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2003, 12:07 AM

i 've noticed the same..

i think it is the apple-q with the left hand...

l think you end up putting your hand or arm on the huge trackpad when you do shortcuts be accident....

i'll try to watch my position when im using keyboard shortcuts

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2003, 12:21 AM

Don't worry guys, I've got this under control. I'll need a young preist and an old priest.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2003, 12:22 AM

Since I started using an external keyboard and mouse all has been well so...one can only imagine that your just touching the trackpad a bit.
Am I still here?

TekTitan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2003, 01:40 AM

As stated before "Uncheck the ignore trackpad while typing" box and see if this fixes the problem". I had the exact same problem and this fixed it

rcarlosnyc  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2003, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by TekTitan:
As stated before "Uncheck the ignore trackpad while typing" box and see if this fixes the problem". I had the exact same problem and this fixed it

Yes, unchecking ignore trackpad while typing in the mouse system preference fixed the problem. Everyone should do this.

Thanks for the info.

Forum Links
Forum Rules