Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Time Capsule -settings question

Time Capsule -settings question
bdeprez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2010, 05:16 AM

Dear all,

I have a question (newbie one, my apologies for that) on how to set up the Time Capsule...

My Time Capsule is the new dual-band one - I would like to use it only for N-connections but on both bands 2.4 and 5 Ghz (I have a Belkin which I use for older connections style b/g and to which this TC is bridged for internet connectivity).

I have it set as: radio Mode - automatic - SSID WIFIBJM -> my iMac 27" connects on channel 11, 2.4 Ghz

When I manually connect to the WIFIBJM via 'network preferences', it connects to the 5 Ghz band.

But when I reboot - gone, back to 2.4 Ghz

For sure, I would like my iMac to use the 5Ghz band for higher throughput speed...

Is there a way to force the iMac to use the 5 Ghz? Or am I missing something?

I'm at a bit of a loss here - any advice / help would be apprciated!

Just for the completeness of things, I have the TC model MC343Z/A version 7.5.1
My iMac is the brand new one with the i5 QuadCore

Cheers,
B.
( Last edited by bdeprez; Jun 13, 2010 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Simplified my question after further research :-))

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2010, 12:41 PM

802.11n uses both 5.6Ghz and 2.4Ghz frequencies. Where do you see an indication that it is only using one or the other? Why do you think that would affect the speed of your connection? How fast is your internet connection? My internet connection is 6Mbps, so it doesn't really matter if I have a faster connection between my laptop and my router, because the connection between my router and the internet is only 6Mbps.

bdeprez  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tuoder View Post
802.11n uses both 5.6Ghz and 2.4Ghz frequencies. Where do you see an indication that it is only using one or the other? Why do you think that would affect the speed of your connection? How fast is your internet connection? My internet connection is 6Mbps, so it doesn't really matter if I have a faster connection between my laptop and my router, because the connection between my router and the internet is only 6Mbps.
Hi Tuoder - when clicking the 'airport symbol' while holding ALT / OPTION, you can see on which band you're connected.
The bandwidth of my internet is not the real problem - I have a NAS attached to my network - the faster I can write to it (or to my time capsule), the faster data is transferred - and that's where the band I use comes into play... The 5 Ghz band allows for speeds up to 300 Mbit /sec - that means a lot when transferring gigs of data!

Anyway, I moved my 'time capsule' to a distance of 2 meters from my iMac and still the same issue - so I'm not sure there's not something wrong with that machine...

Cheers,
B.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2010, 05:18 PM

You might try changing the channel from whatever it is to 1, 6, or 11.

sfederman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2010, 03:36 AM

Channel 1, 6 & 11 are on 2.4 GHz, so probably not what you want, but if you want to force the iMac to connect at 5GHz, this should work:

You can manually force the TC to use the 5GHz radio signals by holding option down while selecting the Radio Mode on the Wireless config page in Airport Utility. If you select one of the options like "802.11n only (5GHz) - 802.11b/g", your iMac should then attempt to connect at the fastest rate, & use the 5GHz frequencies...

Alternatively, you can click on the "Wireless Network Options", also on the Wireless config page in Airport Utility to create a 5 GHz network name (SSID), then connect to this network from your iMac...

Hope this helps,

-Scot

Forum Links
Forum Rules