Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Crazy iDea: wired AirTunes

Crazy iDea: wired AirTunes
arcticmac
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2004, 07:07 PM

Would it be possible to use the AirTunes technology where a wired network is used instead of wireless, and an ibook or powerbook serves as the "airport express"?

like I have the ibook plugged into the network, and then I plug into its sound out and it appears as a play location in iTunes on my iMac?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 07:37 PM

No, but why don't you just share your music through iTunes and play it on whatever computer is connected to the speakers?

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
No, but why don't you just share your music through iTunes and play it on whatever computer is connected to the speakers?
What he said...

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2004, 12:46 AM

We have a home server Mac in our house. It's connected to the stereo and plays iTunes and also announces incoming phones calls thanks to the magic of Phlink. Anyway, when I'm sitting on the couch with my Powerbook, I want to be able to play music through the stereo without getting off my ass. This is what airtunes allows you to do and it would be cool if my home Mac could do that too.

Actually, there is Nicecast, which by all accounts is an excellent app, but to be honest I don't need to play audio through the stereo often enough to pay for it.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2004, 01:10 AM

Then how about you set up VNC and use it to control the computer remotely?

Amorya
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2004, 06:29 AM

You can use an actual Airport Express device with a wired network too...
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Macrat
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2004, 09:11 AM

There are several apps out there designed to let you do just that, control itunes from a remote computer on a lan. Just do a search on macupdate.com for itunes and look throught the listings. iHam on iRye looks to be a good candidate.

arcticmac  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2004, 11:30 AM

well, there are actually two reasons I'd like this.

first, there's the occasional lazy time when I like to play music from across the room without getting up.

second, we do a little family play at christmastime most years, and I've got the speakers in one place (backstage 1) and I often end up in backstage 2 when I want the music to play. I can't very easily run back and forth (at least, not without the audience seeing me) and I still need to play the music.

Last year, I used VNC to do it, but you have to admit that it is slow and doesn't work as well as would be nice, unless you are running over gigabit ethernet, which I'm not.

ihad forgotten all about iHam on iRye... but you're right that may be a good solution... of course, I'd still really like it if I could send music from the control computer to the other one to play, but it's good enough...

oh, and I guessed that airport express's airtunes would work wired, but part of that is that I don't want to buy the airport express... if I already had one of those, I wouldn't have a problem with buying an airport card for my mac then...

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 10:15 AM

Is this what you are looking for?
http://ovolab.com/remotetunes/

Forum Links
Forum Rules