Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 4th gen ipod problem

4th gen ipod problem
treebark7182
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2004, 10:12 AM

Ok ive had this new ipod 40gb 4th gen for like a month. Starting today it is randomly pausing. Usually when im walking. It did this even when the hold button was on. I rebooted it and it is still doing this. Should i return it?? Does apple just hand you another one at the store or would i have to wait? AHHHHHHH

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2004, 10:23 AM

First of all, are you using the lock switch? If not, you might be accidently bumping the scroll wheel.
Does it do this on every song, or just specific ones? Have you tried running Disk Utility and/or DiskWarrior on the iPod? And finally, have you tried to start fresh on it?

And if you take the iPod in, the techs will try and fix it. It could be a day or two, maybe more. You will not get a new one unless there's a serious problem, and even that will take time to determine.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2004, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
First of all, are you using the lock switch? If not, you might be accidently bumping the scroll wheel.
Does it do this on every song, or just specific ones? Have you tried running Disk Utility and/or DiskWarrior on the iPod? And finally, have you tried to start fresh on it?

And if you take the iPod in, the techs will try and fix it. It could be a day or two, maybe more. You will not get a new one unless there's a serious problem, and even that will take time to determine.
He did say that he had the Hold Switch on and it still had the problem.

Personally I would do the following :-

1. Check it's not a particular song or songs causing the problem

2. Do a clean install of the software on your iPod and reload all the music again. That should not be a big job, just use the iPod Software Updater, it will reinstall the software for, then let iTunes reload the music.

3. Make sure there is no dirt, etc in the dock connector, just incase it is cause a short circuit.

4. If you still have problems then I would take it back, in the UK we could ask for a replacement after such a short time (Sale of Goods Act)

I hope you get it sorted soon,

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2004, 10:49 AM

Just because he said the hold switch was on, doesn't automatically mean that it was switched over. Sometimes, if it's in the middle, it won't lock even if a little bit of orange is showing.
Secondly, Boston is not in the UK. Hasn't been for a very long time. A month of usage is likely to result in repairs, not replacement.
Still, if the above advice doesn't help, you do get one free call with an Apple tech. Might be able to figure out the issue that way rather than having to take it in (unless that's the recommendation).

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2004, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
Just because he said the hold switch was on, doesn't automatically mean that it was switched over. Sometimes, if it's in the middle, it won't lock even if a little bit of orange is showing.
Secondly, Boston is not in the UK. Hasn't been for a very long time. A month of usage is likely to result in repairs, not replacement.
Still, if the above advice doesn't help, you do get one free call with an Apple tech. Might be able to figure out the issue that way rather than having to take it in (unless that's the recommendation).
No need to attack me!!!

I was trying to help.

I mentioned the Hold Switch because it sounded like he had tried it.
And I only said about the replacement in the UK because that is what WE get, I did not suggest he would get the same in the USA.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2004, 10:55 AM

An Apple store should switch it out for you on the spot. My defective 2nd Gen. iPod was a lot older than one month -- but still under warranty -- and they handed me another one, no questions asked (at Apple Store Chandler, near Phoenix, AZ). Maybe things have become more strict along with the iPod's soaring popularity. My experience was quite some time ago.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2004, 11:00 AM

Wasn't attacking, just clarifying from my experiences and offering some troubleshooting (starting with the most basic) in the hopes that the problem could be fixed without reverting to taking it into a shop for repairs.

treebark7182  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2004, 12:35 PM

it only does it when the headphones are plugged in. It does it with every pair that i have. Think it may be wise to just turn it in for a new one :-/

Vauxhall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2004, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by treebark7182:
it only does it when the headphones are plugged in. It does it with every pair that i have. Think it may be wise to just turn it in for a new one :-/
Yes, don't fuss with it any longer and turn it in for a new one. What's happening with your iPod is not normal and not acceptible. At the risk of being branded a "troll", I dare say that you've got yourself a mechanically defective unit. A lot of 4th gen iPods have this exact same problem you've described. Don't let those who were lucky enough to get good iPods tell you you're doing something wrong. All the suggested "fixes" will not help. Mine started messing up on the second day and after 4 frustrating days of reinitializing, resetting and reloading my songs over and over I decided to return it. I'm waiting until Apple improves their QC before taking a chance on another one. Unfortunately, you've had yours too long to get your money back but you're well within your right to demand a fully functioning replacement. Best of luck!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules