Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.3.7 is out!!

10.3.7 is out!! (Page 2)
addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2004, 03:21 AM

upgraded to 10.3.7. no probs as of yet.

Till 10.3.6 my external USB Hard drive did not mount automatically after a restart. I had to switch if off and turn on again for a succesfull mount. Now it seems to be fixed. It mounted automatically.
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2004, 03:43 AM

Originally posted by nJm:
Native support for firewire DVD burners would be nice.
Don't wait for Apple to do it, do it yourself with Patchburn.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2004, 03:46 AM

Originally posted by midwinter:
Didn't resolve the wake from sleep problem for me.
Which wake form sleep problem?

I have been having trouble getting my rev B 12" PowerBook to wake from sleep, but I don't know exactly which update introduced it. Maybe 10.3.4 or 10.3.5? The PowerBook's screen will just stay black, no keyboard/mouse input has any influence, all I can do is reboot the PowerBook. Rather nasty. Should 10.3.7 fix that? Haven't read anything about it...

VValdo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2004, 04:04 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
Which wake form sleep problem?

I have been having trouble getting my rev B 12" PowerBook to wake from sleep...Haven't read anything about it...
http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...04121407475622

W

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2004, 04:06 AM

Thanks for the link. I guess that's why I'm experiencing as well.

JKT
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 05:16 AM

Originally posted by Krusty:
I was wondering that as well. Disk Utility hasn't changed at all. hmmmmm .. and it clearly says "functionality" which I assume means something more that just compatibility with new devices.
If you are installing the combo update, it lists all the features that have been added since 10.3.0 and not just the ones from 10.3.6 to 10.3.7. If you look at the kb article for the delta update (10.3.6 to 10.3.7) that improved burning info is not mentioned. In other words it was something added prior to 10.3.7 in one of the earlier updates.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by JKT:
If you are installing the combo update, it lists all the features that have been added since 10.3.0 and not just the ones from 10.3.6 to 10.3.7. If you look at the kb article for the delta update (10.3.6 to 10.3.7) that improved burning info is not mentioned. In other words it was something added prior to 10.3.7 in one of the earlier updates.
ahhhh ... good catch. I did, in fact download the combo since I have a few machines to put it on (plus makes it easier if I wanna do a restore). So .. probably nothing new. I actually searched my HD for files changed by the update too and found nothing that looked related to disk burning.

Super Mario
Dec 16, 2004, 09:12 AM

Super Mario updated to 10.3.7 over 56k modem.

mishap
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by Super Mario:
Super Mario updated to 10.3.7 over 56k modem.
impressive enough

JMII
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2004, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by deepdarkfunky:
still no fix on the powermac G4 MDD audio bug...
I've got a G4 MDD... what bug are you talking about?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2004, 10:59 AM

Installed over 10.3.6, with the Voiceover (nee Spoken Interface) beta installed from way back when. LoginWindow.app now refuses to run.

This was apparently also a known issue with the previous security patch (which I did not install because of that), so I doubt this is just my machine. Thus, a warning: If you've installed the VoiceOver betas, do not install this update.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go find my System Restore disks...
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 11:43 AM

I woke up today and my internet connection dropped for no reason. So I decided another restart may help. I restarted and now the Finder won't launch on startup.

Not sure if it;s 10.3.7 or what. I have no haxies installed either...
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Orion27
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 12:22 PM

Curious thing happened to me. As veteran of Software Update, I was not surprised to see the Update App Open and displaying several updates available to me for download. As I was only interested in the System 10.3.7 update, I deselected the other updates. I clicked on install one and to my surprise a got a dialogue saying something like "expanding". I didn't see a Stuffit window or anything and the next thing I know I get the restart my computer dialogue. I click restart and magically I have updated to 10.3.7 without downloading the file. I do have "download important updates in the background" selected in system preferences. Do system updates download automatically? Where are the updates downloaded to? It wasn't on my desktop where they are normally directed. Besides, I don't remember this ever happening before and I doubt I was connected long enough for a 17MB update to download via a 56K dial up. Well maybe I was. Is this what happened? or was this some strange anomaly? About this Mac says I'm running 10.3.7 and the update is no lnger available to me via Software Update. I'm downloading the standalone as we speak to update my Powerbook. So?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2004, 12:27 PM

Yes, important updates are downloaded in the background if that setting is turned on. All Software Update downloads are downloaded to some temporary directory not the Desktop. I don't think there's a point to download the standalone updater again.

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2004, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by JMII:
I've got a G4 MDD... what bug are you talking about?
It's the bug that increases the volume on MDDs (some to the point of distortion) This bug was introduced in OSX 10.3.6. The temporary workaround is the unplug and then replug the mini jack of your speakers back into the tower.
PowerMacG4 MDD Dual867Mhz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
2GB Ram, 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, 80GB HD & 160GB HD
MacBook Black: Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2004, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by MacGallant:
It's the bug that increases the volume on MDDs (some to the point of distortion) This bug was introduced in OSX 10.3.6. The temporary workaround is the unplug and then replug the mini jack of your speakers back into the tower.
Yeap.. it's louder! I have the DP 1.25 (FW800).

SafariX
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 04:12 PM

So far so good on my rev B 2x2 G5. My ext FW HD has better mountability too. Yes thats a new word. No you can't use it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2004, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by SafariX:
So far so good on my rev B 2x2 G5. My ext FW HD has better mountability too. Yes thats a new word. No you can't use it.
Google hits: "about 3,820 for mountability".

You lose.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2004, 04:46 PM

Running fine on a GigE G4 w/ a OWC 1.4GHz processor, and a rev. C 12" PBG4. Haven't had time yet to install it on my G5.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2004, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Google hits: "about 3,820 for mountability".

You lose.
He's just that much of a trendsetter.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

SafariX
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by Chuckit:
He's just that much of a trendsetter.
Its just one of those its so old its new again type things.

Or something.

DeeKat
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2004, 07:23 PM

intalled update on my PB 17" this morning. no problem so far. Actually the OS feel �snappier�

...it's probably just the �update placebo effet�

NB: repaired permissions before and after install with no apps running while installing.

I'll been reading about the �combo� install. Pardon my ignorance but why is it better to use the combo install instead of the regular one? I always used the regular one and i have no problems.

deekat

Super Mario
Dec 17, 2004, 03:37 AM

Super Mario says 10.3.7 is snappier and games are smoother too.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2004, 03:44 AM

Originally posted by midwinter:
Didn't resolve the wake from sleep problem for me.
It didn't resolve it for me either. My rev B 12" PowerBook didn't wake from sleep properly this morning again. Had to reboot it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2004, 04:55 AM

Unfortunately some Macs just don't handle sleep well. It's a very weird thing. I know I didn't trust sleep mode on the G4 towers I administered. I used to have problems with it on my iBook, but the issue was cured by 10.2 onward. If you have major wake from sleep issues, do what you have to do to get to the bottom of it. Hassle Apple. While you're not alone, it certainly is not the norm, either.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2004, 08:46 AM

The problem is that it's just a software bug. Sleep worked perfectly on every Mac and PowerBook I ever had from the OS 9 days right up to 10.3. But with 10.3.4 or 10.3.5 problems came up. And now it's as if they're here to stay. It's really a bummer.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2004, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by Super Mario:
Super Mario says 10.3.7 is snappier and games are smoother too.
curious... why in the 3rd person?
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2004, 09:53 AM

Royalty.

JMII
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2004, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
Yeap.. it's louder! I have the DP 1.25 (FW800).
Funny I never noticed it... I've got a dual 1GHz CPUs with FW400 if that matters

The only odd sound issue I have is that during start up the audio/speakers "click" on and off about five times

lexhair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2004, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
The problem is that it's just a software bug. Sleep worked perfectly on every Mac and PowerBook I ever had from the OS 9 days right up to 10.3. But with 10.3.4 or 10.3.5 problems came up. And now it's as if they're here to stay. It's really a bummer.
My monitor wouldn't wake from sleep when I went to 10.3.6. I thought it was the ATI ROM flash update from Oct 04 that did it but I wasn't sure. Replaced the battery and reset the PMU. Still notthing. Anyway, I applied the software update patch to 10.3.7 and the problem remained. On a whim, I downloaded the Combo Updater and applied it. The monitor now wakes from sleep consistently.

real
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2004, 03:26 AM

Is anyone have slow internet|network proformance. It's only with the Airport, When i use a wired connection everything is fine. Useing a 12"PB Ver A. and a ver A(I guess) Basestation.

Tried restarting the basestation and router but did not help. Anyone else having this trouble.

Thanks
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

Buck_Naked
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2004, 10:27 AM

Everything seems very good on my Dual800 machine.

handras
Dec 18, 2004, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by real:
Is anyone have slow internet|network proformance. It's only with the Airport, When i use a wired connection everything is fine. Useing a 12"PB Ver A. and a ver A(I guess) Basestation.

Tried restarting the basestation and router but did not help. Anyone else having this trouble.

Thanks
"I installed 10.3.7 on three different computers...all of them ran slow. What caught my eye was how slow Web pages loaded after upgrading. It was taking 2 to 3 minutes when it took a few seconds on 10.3.6. My mail program would not respond...I remembered a problem with a previous OS: The DHCP would not get stored correctly, [but] if you put in valid DNS numbers in the Network [preferences], Safari would work just fine. I put in the DNS numbers in all three computers and everything including Mail works just fine."

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2004, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by UnixMac:
curious... why in the 3rd person?
gorickey/manofsteal

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

bgotori
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2004, 02:39 PM

Hey All

Pismo with update works GREAT!!! Now it sees my older FireWire Drive!!! With 10.3.6 it somehow lost it... Didn't have any update for the FireWire Drive system so was out of luck until this Update... HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!

Oh one other thing,my Dial-up seems faster, yea I know(Dial-up), but what the hay anything faster is better!!!hahaha

Have Great Holiday's!!!

Brad
Pismo 400 OS X 10.3.9, SuperDrive, 1gb Mem, 80gb HD.
New GREEN 6gb Mini!!! 1gb Shuffle, and 30gb iPod.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2004, 09:37 PM

Anyone else having problems with menu extras since the update?
Menu Meters now no longer functions (selecting to display the different Menu Meter's in the control panel coms up with a "Menu Extra Could Not Load" (someone needs to teach Apple the correct use of capitalisation) error sheet.
Also the Volume, and more worryingly the CD eject button has stopped working on the Keyboard (all the other keys, including the Fkeys which are mapped to Expos� work fine).

As a more general OS updates by 'Software update' question. Every time there is a OS update, it wont work via the 'Software update' app on my moms Mac (it will download, but when it gets to the uncompressing part it comes up with a error along the lines of 'unable to decompress update, make sure you have permission to open files in *******/temp'. I have repaired the permissions using both the OSX Disk Utility and OnyX, but the result is the same. If I download the update manually from Apple then run it from the desktop it updates fine, it's don this for the past 2 OS updates.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2004, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by real:
Yes, I'm having lousy networking issues over Airport, seemingly a DNS lookup thing. I'll try the static IP idea.

jonzilla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2004, 11:00 PM

no problems so far.
PB G4 1.33Ghz/2GB Ram/60GB/Combo, ibook G4 800Mhz/640 Ram/30GB/Combo, iMac (purple) 333Mhz/160 Ram, 23" Apple Cinema Display (Alu), G3 20GB Ipod, 4GB Ipod mini (Pink & Silver), Airport Express, iSight & GriffinTech Powermate.

bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2004, 11:42 PM

Hello Mithras

Try this ...

Trash Software Update Prefs ..
Users/Home/library/preferences/com.apple.softwareupdate.plist

Reference:
Apple - Troubleshooting Software Update
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106695

For your other problem always as a precaution:
Before & After any System Update .... Repair permissions: Close all open files and applications. Go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and double click it. Then select "Macintosh HD" in the left panel and First Aid at the top. Then click on "Repair Permissions."

Reference:
Apple - Unix Maintenance & Repairing Permissions
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...onID=anonymous|44855325&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com%3a80%2f
Tiger 10.4.8

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2004, 01:53 AM

I've been reading that 10.3.7 causes a slowdown for bootup and loading Mail.App. I'd just like to say I haven't noticed either of these problems on my iBook G4 or iMac G5. The update seems to be working perfectly. I didn't have any issues with 10.3.6, and still don't have issues with 10.3.7. Maybe I'm just lucky?
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

bgotori
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2004, 02:11 AM

Anyone else having problems with menu extras since the update?
Menu Meters now no longer functions (selecting to display the different Menu Meter's in the control panel coms up with a "Menu Extra Could Not Load"

Menu Meter still working for me!!!

Have Great Holiday's!!!

Brad

tigas
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2004, 03:23 AM

On a Pismo G3/400. Interface is faster, but Expos� does not dim background windows in application or global mode. It's faster, though.

Everything seems to be working peachy, so far...

minton7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2004, 03:26 AM

256 ram dimm is not recognized in the upper slot after update (Pismo powerbook). As Richard Pryor would say, "the b*tch smoked half my stash!"

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2004, 03:33 AM

Working fine on my PB17 after the update. AirPort actually seemed better. But the only real thing I noticed is my uptime number went to 0 after the restart.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

real
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2004, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by handras:
"I installed 10.3.7 on three different computers...all of them ran slow. What caught my eye was how slow Web pages loaded after upgrading. It was taking 2 to 3 minutes when it took a few seconds on 10.3.6. My mail program would not respond...I remembered a problem with a previous OS: The DHCP would not get stored correctly, [but] if you put in valid DNS numbers in the Network [preferences], Safari would work just fine. I put in the DNS numbers in all three computers and everything including Mail works just fine."

Thanks for the help Yeah That was my nexted guess Have no idea why I didn't change them.

real
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2004, 10:52 AM

I just noticed I have no sharing pref pane. It is completely blank.

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2004, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
I just noticed I have no sharing pref pane. It is completely blank.
Try logging in on another user account. If it works, it is probably something with privileges or user prefs.

A universal fix method is to repair permissions. Download combo updater and run it. Then repair permissions again.

Hope this helps.

Could also be disk trouble.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2004, 11:12 AM

I tried another user, a reboot and the obligatory repair permissions. Those did not work. BTW, the only permissions problems was the usual CD9660 one.

I downloaded the combo update and that fixed it. I must say though that this Mac had gone through each developer seed update. I haven't seen any other problems.

bgotori
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2004, 12:17 PM

Hey tigas

On my Pismo Expos'e Works fine, dim's backround all button's and scroll wheel work Great!!!

Have Great Holiday's!!!

Brad

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2004, 04:06 AM

I'd like my firewire DVD burner to work
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Forum Links
Forum Rules