Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Google OS

Google OS
jarcoal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2005, 06:43 PM

Think we'll ever see one?
Lots of cool things google could do with an operating system.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2005, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by jarcoal
Think we'll ever see one?
No.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2005, 06:46 PM

No.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2005, 06:52 PM

Why would anyone try to enter the OS market? Would you start with an existing base? Or try something brand new? And how would you convince software makers to code for yet another OS?

I'd have to say that Google couldn't do anything with an OS that MS or Apple isn't already doing or trying to do. (Maybe Sun too.)
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2005, 07:54 PM

The opposite of yes.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2005, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
Why would anyone try to enter the OS market? Would you start with an existing base? Or try something brand new? And how would you convince software makers to code for yet another OS?

I'd have to say that Google couldn't do anything with an OS that MS or Apple isn't already doing or trying to do. (Maybe Sun too.)
I agree unless they branded a version of Linux...

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2005, 08:07 PM

I think Google's business tactics involve circumventing the OS, ie, creating web applications that do everything traditional applications do, but without the need to install them on your computer and run them on an operating system.

MM-o4
Senior User
Dec 4, 2005, 08:11 PM

make more sense for them to bring out their own browser.

MM

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2005, 08:12 PM

.... which is why they are such a big threat to Microsoft. They render the OS irrelivant.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2005, 08:16 PM

Technically there is a Google OS already: it's the custom-built stuff they use to power their servers. I don't think they have any intention of offering it for sale or download or otherwise outside the company, though.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2005, 09:19 PM

This thread reminds me of the Apple + Nintendo thread.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

Fred_Cokebottle
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2005, 09:43 PM

This thread reminds me of lunch.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2005, 10:03 PM

At this point there is simply no point in competing with free, especially considering how Linux is on the up and up...

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2005, 10:08 PM

What interests me about Google is that, since they have come along, interest in operating systems has really dimished as far as I can tell. People used to argue all the time on this forum about Windows & Linux & Mac, and which was best. Now it seems that the only app people use is their web browser, and the OS itself is irrelevant.

I consider myself a fairly capable computer user and yet I rarely ever use any apps beside Firefox and iTunes. I never mess around with the OS anymore, because everything I need to do to organize my life and find information can be done online.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2005, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
What interests me about Google is that, since they have come along, interest in operating systems has really dimished as far as I can tell. People used to argue all the time on this forum about Windows & Linux & Mac, and which was best. Now it seems that the only app people use is their web browser, and the OS itself is irrelevant.

I consider myself a fairly capable computer user and yet I rarely ever use any apps beside Firefox and iTunes. I never mess around with the OS anymore, because everything I need to do to organize my life and find information can be done online.

I think this is exactly why Microsoft Office will become more irrelevant, and why OpenOffice will become more and more viable with the room that is left for local/client office software.

However, while a lot of things can benefit from being migrated to the web, there is still use for some local applications.

brapper
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2005, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939
The opposite of yes.
wait, I'm confused.

And no, I don't think it's about the OS anymore, it's about services on the web. And they're clearly focused on that.

paul w
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2005, 10:50 PM

Nintendo OS, that'd be awexome!!!

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2005, 11:53 PM

I find that my appreciation for local applications increases more and more each time I don't have an internet connecton. (Such as when I'm sitting on an airplane <-- Where I spend about 60-80 hours per year.)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

DarwinX
Dec 5, 2005, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by BasketofPuppies
This thread reminds me of the Apple + Nintendo thread.
Oh man that was great. Nice memory! haha

jarcoal  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2005, 03:38 AM

you guys don't think that an OS that is built around search and smart folders wouldn't be kinda cool? imagine a smart folder that always contains the search results of a set query. or an rss feed contained in a folder. as some of you said, the browser is replacing the OS, but a browser is not nearly as user friendly as an OS, which makes me think that the OS won't move towards the browser, but vice versa.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2005, 03:45 AM

you guys don't think that an OS that is built around search and smart folders wouldn't be kinda cool? imagine a smart folder that always contains the search results of a set query. or an rss feed contained in a folder. as some of you said, the browser is replacing the OS, but a browser is not nearly as user friendly as an OS, which makes me think that the OS won't move towards the browser, but vice versa.

What business incentive does Google have to put in the absolutely exhaustive effort it would require to come up with a new operating system?

I don't think you have a strong idea what goes into an operating system. A few interesting user features alone are probably not enough to inspire this effort.

loki74
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2005, 03:57 AM

for MOST people its about services and the web. I for one, am HIGHLY concerned with the OS, and how stable it is.

But I would most certainly not mind seeing an OS from Google, especially if it was specialized for servers. I highly doubt it will happen. But it would be cool.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2005, 05:11 AM

Ha.... a Google OS....

Maybe it would have a good search function though.

jarcoal  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2005, 05:29 PM

i think i have a fairly good idea of what goes into OS's. i don't think google has any problem finding the people for the job.

i just think that a near completely online operating system would be pretty damn sweet.

jarcoal  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2005, 05:31 PM

"What business incentive does Google have to put in the absolutely exhaustive effort it would require to come up with a new operating system?"

i don't wanna have to quote john dvorak, but "a business plan will immerge"

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2005, 08:04 PM

Despite what I said earlier about people not caring much about the OS, I still think it's possible Google may introduce some new type of OS.

There may be a lot of buzz around OSes next year during the Vista release, and who knows, Google may want a piece of it.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2005, 08:17 PM

An operating system is the most complicated piece of software ever conceived. Its never been done right (without big problems). There are 3 big players in the OS market who've been playing for many many many years. Google can indeed attract talent, but the economic factors would keep them away from a project like this. Google has their hands in a ton of stuff right now, and taking on the creation of a new OS would just drain their resources resulting in lesser quality products.

This will never happen. Now, a partnership might be more feasible. If Google teamed up with, say Apple, then we might see some seriously revolutionary code.

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2005, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
An operating system is the most complicated piece of software ever conceived. Its never been done right (without big problems). There are 3 big players in the OS market who've been playing for many many many years. Google can indeed attract talent, but the economic factors would keep them away from a project like this. Google has their hands in a ton of stuff right now, and taking on the creation of a new OS would just drain their resources resulting in lesser quality products.

This will never happen. Now, a partnership might be more feasible. If Google teamed up with, say Apple, then we might see some seriously revolutionary code.
Agreed. Google is seems to be focusing more on information retrieval more than anything, and an OS would push Google in a whole new direction. Plus, I don't think Google could take on Microsoft, Apple, and Linux and succeed much...if at all.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2005, 08:23 PM

An OS? Probably not.

A filesystem? Much more likely.

drmcnutt
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2005, 07:15 AM

i think i have a fairly good idea of what goes into OS's. i don't think google has any problem finding the people for the job.

i just think that a near completely online operating system would be pretty damn sweet.
Completely online operating system?

I guess that's wonderful if you NEVER lose your connection. Even if you are online 99.9 percent of the time that small percentage will be time you can't use your system for productivity. That doesn't make sense to use something (or pay for something) you can't use due to outside interference (loss of internet access).
DRM

---------------------------------
Gigabit Ethernet G4 OWC mercury upgrade 1.33
15" Powerbook G4 1.5GB/80GB/SuperDrive

Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2005, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by drmcnutt
Completely online operating system?

I guess that's wonderful if you NEVER lose your connection. Even if you are online 99.9 percent of the time that small percentage will be time you can't use your system for productivity. That doesn't make sense to use something (or pay for something) you can't use due to outside interference (loss of internet access).

The idea of "losing" an internet connection will sound quaint in a few years.

Insurgent
Dec 7, 2005, 08:56 AM

Might be cool if it runs on top of the OS (OS X, Windows, Linex, etc), and ties all its services together in a seamless way and with the OS.
Tonight may have to last me the rest of my life.
uruknet - the real news from Iraq.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2005, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Insurgent
Might be cool if it runs on top of the OS (OS X, Windows, Linex, etc), and ties all its services together in a seamless way and with the OS.

Would it really be an OS then, or an application framework?
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2005, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Moderator
Not really. Even fiber lines go down occasionally. Power outages, fires, natural disasters happen. Redundancies fail, solar flares interfere with radio communications, basically there is no such thing as perfect reliability.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2005, 01:52 PM

I couldn't disagree more. There is only so much one can do in a web browser.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

drmcnutt
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2005, 03:02 AM

I'm still waiting for a crashless computer.

I disagree even "always on" connections lose connections from time to time. If you had to rely on something as vital as your OS imagine you couldn't do anything with your computer if say your router conks out or the weather is bad and your internet providers service is down. Plus being required to connect to the internet sounds like another way hackers could exploit you considering it will never be a closed system.

Imagine something like Katrina happens and you can't even boot your operating system to check your contacts for a phone number on your battery operated laptop. Even if it was free do you think people will want to be part-time users of their computer?
DRM

drmcnutt
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2005, 03:07 AM

I'm still waiting for a crashless computer.

I disagree even "always on" connections lose connections from time to time. If you had to rely on something as vital as your OS imagine you couldn't do anything with your computer if say your router conks out or the weather is bad and your internet providers service is down. Plus being required to connect to the internet sounds like another way hackers could exploit you considering it will never be a closed system.

Imagine something like Katrina happens and you can't even boot your operating system to check your contacts for a phone number on your battery operated laptop. Even if it was free do you think people will want to be part-time users of their computer?
DRM

drmcnutt
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2005, 03:07 AM

<Double post due to non responsive browser how appropriate.>
DRM