Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Clamshell+Slot loading SuperDrive=NewLife!!

Clamshell+Slot loading SuperDrive=NewLife!!
DmbShn41
Sep 25, 2006, 11:32 PM

So I was browsing around eBay, checking for some good deals or maybe some parts for my 366 Clamshell. I occasionally toy with the idea of upgrading to a 466, and low and behold I found this:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...D_CDRWLIST.jpg

Check it out. This is the only picture he provided of the Slot load upgrade, but I haven't seen anything like this around here yet, and I figured it would rejuvenate some Clammy owners who feel held down by their friends lack of upgradability. Essentially, he found a SuperDrive that was compatible with the 466 board, fit within the area of the old optical drive, and then mounted the old CD-ROM cover over the SuperDrive. It may make you wonder what was wrong with the old optical drive. I know some the drives failed after a while. Was the optical drive failure mainly related to the 466 models? I sent this eBayer a message to see what drive he used, I'm seriously considering this modification to my own. We just got a new Laser cutting machine at work that boasts to be able to cut any material, from paper to aircraft aluminum. Works similar to a waterjet, but with adjustable laser width, and temperature. This just might be the project this Clammy needs...

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2006, 02:41 AM

120 gb hard drive? slot loading superdrives? laser cutting machines? you want a wolf in sheep's clothing? man appreciate the clamshells for what they are ---a good web surfing,great keyboarding, word processing machine with style. mucho style. but at the end of the day you still got 800x600 with a 366 processor. i love mine for what it can still do, but you got to realize its limitations and it has a few. any chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

DmbShn41  (op)
Sep 26, 2006, 11:08 PM

Completely agreed gooser, def got it for the style. But ultimatley my main interest in this machine was to upgrade it, and to release(or lengthen) the chains attached to it. Yeah its a 366, and that limits a lot. I mainly want it for an iTunes storage computer. I have a 17" iMac on order as we speak, and another 466 Clammy coming off eBay. I don't really want to bog my iMac down with 60+GB of just music. I have other plans for it...And the 466 is to upgrade alos, with the plans of transfering the 366 to 466, and passing the upgraded 366 down to my brother, who has never owned a Mac, much less used one. The Clammy, although limited, is very Handi-Capable. RAM is upgradable to a respectable number, HD to any realistic size for these days, and with an external DVD/CD Burner, you have magic. I love Apple for their quickness in innovation, but I certainly don't have the interest in dropping $2000 everytime they release a new model or product. You may fancy tomatoes, but I my friend, fancy in the potatoes.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2006, 12:05 AM

AHA -----external dvd/cd burner. now you're thinking. mce makes one that is bus powered and will work with a g3. not too cheap though. a fine nevadan that goes by the handle of chasingapple says that he doesn't notice the speed difference between a 366 and a 466. 2 clamshells huh? what colors?

P.S. don't get rid of os9. it can be a lot of fun to horse around with from time to time. quite snappy on a clamshell.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

DmbShn41  (op)
Sep 27, 2006, 01:46 AM

Both Graphite actually. My friends 466 has lengths over my 366, but I'm still bogged down by Jaguar, Panther CD-ROM is on the way... I think that is where the speed is. I've had the pleasure to chat wth ChasingApple a few times on these. (S)He has a vast amount of knowledge on Macs and especially Clamshells. I've seen a few USB External DVD/CD Burners. DOn't know if they're for Mac or not, is there any quality to them? Clamshell has a USB 1.1 I believe, which means the transfer rate is roughly 12 Mbps?? Capable enough to handle DVD/CD burning?? And the original Airport cards... they're outrageous in price on eBay right now, are they even decent? Would they work with a D-Link Wireless? Thank god for these boards....I asked these questions at the Micro Center near my house and all I got was a $1490 bill for a custom iMac and a sore

EDIT: I used to have a 233mhz 1st Edition iMac that ran OS 8.6 I believe, and I hated it, but I'm friendly to OS 9, def need it for a couple of apps still...Thanks gooser

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2006, 02:10 AM

go for a firewire burner not usb. original airport definately expensive but works nicely. not quite as fast on downloads as the newer ones but has a greater range. and finally, chasingapple is a he. BTW mine is also a graphite purchased off ebay. got lucky, found a good seller. if you don't have firewire on your 366 i really don't know the answer to your questions about speed on usb. finally again a g3 makes a better laptop, won't toast your thighs. time has proven the clamshells to be the most reliable and rugged of the apple laptops. any pismo owners disagee with me?
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2006, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by gooser
you want a wolf in sheep's clothing?
i agree with all your points, but i like to refer to my clamshell as a sheep in sheep's clothing

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

ChasingApple
Senior User
Sep 28, 2006, 02:10 AM

Since my fanclub is talking about me a little I must respond

Clamshells are THEE best laptops that Apple has ever released. They run cool, they are dependable, and they are alot of fun to modernize. I have owned 2 Pismos and I love them as well. They are not quite as rugged as the Clamshell, but they are handy none the less. 2 Batteries anyone?

I have had more time to play with my 366mhz Indigo Clammy, and I would ike to take back the no difference in speed when compared to the 466. I have found a few things that show the difference. Java and Multitasking. While both speeds compute well in OS X Panther, the 466 is a little faster feeling.

Make sure if you have Firewire to get anything external in Firewire over USB, the clammys use USB 1.1 and it is a tad slow. As for the superdrive option in a clammy that sounds like a neat project. If you think you can get it in there and working perfectly while not defacing the clammy then I say go for it. Everyone that sees my clammy asks me if I am selling it, or where to get one

Cheers and have fun!
iMac G4 / Macbook

Forum Links
Forum Rules