Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Canon PIXMA MP830 printer?

Canon PIXMA MP830 printer?
HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2006, 04:56 AM

Does anyone have this printer? I am thinking about getting it because it has everything I want (print-scan-copy-fax, individual ink cartridges, document feeder). It got generally good reviews, but I want to hear from any Mac users that have it. I know that there are some who are against multifunctions, but I want a multifunction int he interest of space and the fact that I like having just one machine. Anyway, I am open to other models that are max $300ish in price that have all the same features....it would be nice if there were built in networking, but I don't mind setting it up manually through one base computer (like I would have to do with this one). Bt is not a requirement for me because non of my comps at the moment have it, but I will have it next year when I get my mbp (grad gift).

Anyway, your reviews on this printer or suggestions for something similar would be appreciated because I am ready to upgrade my printer.
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2006, 05:21 AM

I've used the MP500, and it's great! It gives excellent quality prints (with the right paper - i.e. high-grade gloss/satin Canon paper)! I've not used the MP830, but all I can presume, is that it's going to be better than the MP500, which can't be bad at all!

onlyone-jc.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 29, 2006, 12:56 PM

All canon inkjets are pretty much EXCELLENT!

"Hello, what have we here?

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2006, 05:52 PM

I have the M830, and it's nice. I haven't had a problem with it, having scanned and printed a bunch. No faxing though, so I have nothing for you there. It works well with my Intel iMac running 10.4.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2006, 09:24 PM

i use an mp760 and i like it thus far. no complaints.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

HazelGirl  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2006, 09:40 PM

thanks you guys, i think i may end up ordering the above model because my current printers lack of functionality is getting on my last nerves....lol.

brachiator
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 11:21 PM

Thanks for this thread HazelGirl and everyone else. I am looking at the MP830, too, and finding this thread may just have settled the issue for me.

I was also looking at the Epson Perfection 4490 Office, with ADF, but the reviews on here are generally crappy for Epson, while I know and like Canon products.

Three things that are not clear to me - perhaps someone can answer?

(1) is it possible to scan directly to PDF on this machine?

(2) is the scanbed cover like the LiDE covers, that will kick up a few cm to enable easier scanning of books or other thick media?

(2) The Epson comes with some dinguses for scanning photo negatives and slides. Are similar dinguses available for the MP830? Can one even scan negs and slides on this?

Thanks very much!
Mike

HazelGirl  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2006, 01:51 AM

1. yes you can scan to pdf....either through the ADF OR through the scanner bed.
2. yes it will kick up a little bit for larger items.
3. I have never used slides...perhaps someone else can address this.

fyi, I am low on black ink but this is the first notification i have received about it...i have printed otu a LOT of stuff (mostly documents but some color) and i think the ink lasted about as long as my old epson printer. I really like this printer and it hasnt let me down so far. I still reccomend it.

brachiator
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2006, 04:24 AM

Thanks, Hazel. I am pretty sure I'm going to get this printer soon.

I'm going to open another thread about how one scans slides and negs on a flatbed scanner, if I can't google it easily.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 03:35 PM

Yet another person here who was looking at this very same printer. I have a few questions though:

1) What is the main difference between this and the MP530? Besides the design, the only real difference I see is that the MP830 prints 30 PPM while the MP530 prints 29...and I think I can live with one less page a minute for almost $100 less on amazon.

2) I know that airport extreme only works for sending printing materials to the printer, and cannot be reversed by scanning to the computer wirelessly. My question is, is there any way (like a hub or splitter or something) that can allow 2 usb cords to be hooked up to the printer? This would make it so much easier because I wouldn't have to unplug it from the airport, plug it into my mac, and then back to the airport when I am done. If not, it's not that big of a deal because I scan much less than print. Which leads me to my final question,

3) Is there any reduction in speed when printing throuhg airport extreme, or does that not have any effect on the printer speed?

Thanks guys.

stanford88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2007, 04:30 PM

Thank you for this post. It encouraged me to buy the MP830 from Amazon!

BlueJungle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2007, 09:40 AM

After reading alll the bad reviews for the HP Photosmart C7180 and the good ones for this Canon, I'm thinking of switching to the Canon! I searched Canon's website, but was unable to find any information. Is the Canon MP 830 wireless?

I have just so much space and too many wires, would really love an all-in-one that is wireless. Also would like to have my sister be able to print from her hp notebook wirelessly.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2007, 01:56 PM

Mine certainly isn't, and unless there's another version out there somewhere, i would say no.

Forum Links
Forum Rules