Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MacPro case redesign?

MacPro case redesign?
striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2007, 11:14 AM

I realize to most who need a MacPro substance is more important than style but wouldn't you think the current MacPro is in need of a case refresh? Basically it is the same case design as the Powermac G5 released in August 2003. It seems like after 4 years Apple could come out with a case refresh.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2007, 11:42 AM

I was hoping for the same thing just before the MacPros were released. If they were going to redesign the enclosure it would have been with the release of the MacPro. Since that didn't happen, I think it may be a little while (read a long time) before we see anything. Consider the Alu Powerbooks and MacBook pro, same situation.

Finally since Apple just released an imac in alu, I don't think we'll see a radically different MacPro design. The form and function is a great design, plenty of expansion within an eye pleasing enclosure. Internally everything is fitted perfectly which is normal for an apple design.

cgc
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2007, 12:15 PM

The MacPro case rocks...I would expect only minor tweaks.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2007, 01:20 PM

The MP case is very good. It has a lot of slots and bays. Its design is good for air flow which keeps it quiet. Opening it and swapping components is a breeze. There's hardly a reason to make major changes. The only thing I could think of is two additional internal disk bays to use the two SATA ports on the MLB. Of course an eSATA port could be added, but since there are enough PCIe slots that's not really a big issue.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2007, 10:39 AM

What would you change?

The current case is a great mix of expansion, accessibility, and size.

Captain Curt
Aug 12, 2007, 02:49 PM

The current mac pro case is great. Apple could keep it the same for the next thirty years and I wouldn't care. If Apple does keep the same design, they should mount a model or refresh number on the front of the case below the drives. That way newbies and the Mac regulars alike could easily see which mac they were looking at.
Mac Pro 2.66, 30 inch Apple Cinema Display, Scansnap S510m, Brother 4070cdw, MX Revolution

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2007, 09:21 PM

On the outside the G5 and Mac Pro cases look the same but on the inside, it's much different if foir the only reason that with the removal of the G5's liquid cooling system, more space for internal HDDs has been put to good use.

ninahagen
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2007, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I could think of... two additional internal disk bays to use the two SATA ports on the MLB.
Amen! It seems a shame to waste them. There is the eSata cable which routes through the case allowing you to use ports 5 & 6, but instalation looks to be a pain, and in the end produces yet another external enclosure.

Also, I could imagine slightly more ergonomic handles.
( Last edited by ninahagen; Aug 13, 2007 at 03:22 AM. )

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2007, 12:08 AM

What I really dig from the G5 to Mac Pro inner design.. much easier hard drive upgrade path.

It would be nice to see some better ports' layout in the back and keep the power supply in the bottom.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2007, 08:44 PM

Personally I feel no need for case changes so long as they properly upgrade the internals, especially graphics and memory management. Soon.

I second Capt. Curt's idea of a model number. For decades Apple has been driving us crazy with grossly incompetent model identification.

-Allen Wicks

BlueJungle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2007, 11:53 PM

Just two things, make it lighter so that one can carry it from one's building to the parking lot and not lose parts of self getting there. And two, make the height a little smaller. Doesn't fit under desk.

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2007, 12:04 AM

I am really happy with the internal design of the Mac Pro case and the aluminum chassis is great especially coming from PCs my whole life. Apple has hit a home run in my book and can't wait to see what they come up with next.

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

sts24
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2007, 12:20 AM

I think it needs a facelift. Keep the same basic layout, but maybe add some black in there on the case. I would also make the thing more smoother looking than so boxy with sharp edges as it is now

Aegis
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2007, 02:08 AM

I'm also for a facelift. It still looks good, but a fresh look would help spice things up a bit.
The only internal addition I'd like would be a couple more HD bays.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2007, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Curt View Post
...they should mount a model or refresh number on the front of the case below the drives. That way newbies and the Mac regulars alike could easily see which mac they were looking at.
There is actually a "name tag" on the MP. The configuration label below the PCI slots tells you the speed and number of cores.

That said, I do agree though that they need some kind of proper naming scheme. At least something like Mac Pro 2007 or Mac Pro 8x3.0 or something like that. It's become really confusing to talk about a certain Mac especially if it's in a line that has seen many revisions. A name like 'iBook dual USB ports' becomes simply ridiculous once you note that after that model all revisions actually came with dual USB ports.

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Aug 16, 2007, 12:23 AM

The handles need to be designed better, agreeably.

Moving the old G5 I sold a few months ago was always a painful experience, b/c it was heavy, and the handles were basically thin plates...very non-ideal for grasping with a human hand.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2007, 06:26 AM

I don't see a need for a case redesign. It's hidden under my desk so I can't see it anyway. The internal design works very well for me, too. Easy to upgrade, clean. It's got all I need as it is now.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2007, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by BlueJungle View Post
Just two things, make it lighter
Its not so much the case but the innards have heavy parts too.

Originally Posted by BlueJungle View Post
so that one can carry it from one's building to the parking lot and not lose parts of self getting there. And two, make the height a little smaller. Doesn't fit under desk.
Laptop
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Madison, WI (College) and Frankfurt, Germany (Home)
Aug 17, 2007, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by kentuckyfried View Post
The handles need to be designed better, agreeably.

Moving the old G5 I sold a few months ago was always a painful experience, b/c it was heavy, and the handles were basically thin plates...very non-ideal for grasping with a human hand.
well carrying a G4 or G3 powermac isn't much better of an experience

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2007, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Biest View Post
well carrying a G4 or G3 powermac isn't much better of an experience
Huh?

The G3/G4 handles were big and rounded. The G5/MP handles are fairly thin and have hard edges. If you carry the thing around for a while you'll definitely notice the difference.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2007, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by ninahagen View Post
Amen! It seems a shame to waste them. There is the eSata cable which routes through the case allowing you to use ports 5 & 6, but instalation looks to be a pain, and in the end produces yet another external enclosure.
I've installed the eSATA cable & bracket that XLR8 (I think that who it is) sells. I didn't follow the instructions, as I didn't really want to disassemble the whole darn thing, so I used a pair of curved, long nosed forceps to slip the SATA connectors on to the motherboard posts. Took a bit of trial and error to do as its essentially a blind spot in the case, but in the end still faster than taking all the fan brackets out to do the "proper" way.

Yes, it does result in another external case, but can't beat the speed.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2007, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Huh?

The G3/G4 handles were big and rounded. The G5/MP handles are fairly thin and have hard edges. If you carry the thing around for a while you'll definitely notice the difference.
I carry the G5 in between classroom labs and my office/storage room from time to time. The handles are ok-ish, may be it's the weight causing the problem. The B&W G3 to pre-MDD G4 are like 30 lbs, MDD G4 to G5 are between 40 - 50 lbs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules