Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Core i5 & i7 iMac shipping thread (quads)

Core i5 & i7 iMac shipping thread (quads)
Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2009, 10:26 AM

I hear that the Core i5 iMacs' shipping is imminent.

"Apple this morning began sending notices that it has started shipping at least Core i5-equipped versions of the 27-inch iMac. The company's first quad-core consumer desktop is now listed for Electronista and readers as "prepared for shipment" with an unspecified ship date. Such scheduling suggests that the earliest orders may arrive within the week."

I'm still waiting on my Core i7 though. Unfortunately, all Core i7 iMacs are "Configure-To-Order" (CTO) orders, which usually adds a several day delay. Still, that suggests to me that if we're lucky, we could see i7s ship out as early as later this week.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2009, 02:15 PM

"Update: Apple has confirmed it's shipping the new iMacs and expects the earliest orders to arrive within the next two days."

As expected, Apple was unable to give me any ballpark shipping timeframe for my i7. They claim the standard shipping will be a week or longer, but I suspect/hope I'll get the same expedited shipping as everyone else. Whenever I've ordered standard shipping of some existing small product and it's come from a US warehouse, it's taken more than a week to Canada. However, whenever I've ordered a brand new product and it's come from Asia, I've gotten expedited air shipping, with arrival in a few days.

freaktornado
Nov 9, 2009, 04:27 PM

I also have an i7 on order. The puzzling thing to me is, AFAIK, no one who ordered a quad iMac (i5 or i7) got a ship date more specific than "November." I guess Apple really wanted to hedge their bets about when they expected to have them ready...

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 9, 2009, 10:37 PM

Let's keep this thread to only shipping information, shall we. We don't need to duplicate anything of importance in the existing i7 thread. I (or someone else on the staff) may move the shipping related posts in that thread to here, but I think it would be good to keep the focus of the two threads distinct.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SCHMEGGA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2009, 11:45 PM

I assumed that all Apple was waiting for was the finished version of 10.6.2. Now that it is released maybe they will all start going out. My status (i7) hasn't changed yet however.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2009, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
They claim the standard shipping will be a week or longer, but I suspect/hope I'll get the same expedited shipping as everyone else. Whenever I've ordered standard shipping of some existing small product and it's come from a US warehouse, it's taken more than a week to Canada. However, whenever I've ordered a brand new product and it's come from Asia, I've gotten expedited air shipping, with arrival in a few days.
Yup it's shipping from Shanghai via FedEx, despite "Standard Shipping" being chosen.

Note, Z0GF is the 27" Core i7 CTO model, which is why it hasn't shipped yet in that pic.
( Last edited by Eug; Nov 10, 2009 at 12:55 AM. )

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2009, 09:54 AM

The i7 is imminent too? I was just going through my credit card details and noticed that while I haven't been charged yet for my i7, there were several thousand bux missing from my available credit.

I called the CC company and they confirmed that Apple has put a temporary authorization for what appears to be the full amount of the iMac on my card, as of near the end of last week.

freaktornado
Nov 10, 2009, 03:40 PM

The i7 is imminent too?
Yes, my order went from "Not Yet Shipped" to "Prepared for Shipping" this morning. Not sure how long it takes for actual shipping to commence.

P
Nov 11, 2009, 08:29 AM

My BTO Core i7 iMac is now shipped out, planned delivery this Friday! It went from "shipping sometime this month" to "it's on the road". It's definitely flying - from Shanghai to Gothenburg in little over one day.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2009, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by freaktornado View Post
Yes, my order went from "Not Yet Shipped" to "Prepared for Shipping" this morning. Not sure how long it takes for actual shipping to commence.
Same here. Not surprisingly, my order is no longer cancellable.

Cancel Items
Your item(s) have already been prepared for shipment, so they cannot be cancelled. However, once they ship, you may be able to make a return from the Order details page.

I ordered on Oct. 20 between 4 pm and 5 pm PST.

Originally Posted by P View Post
My BTO Core i7 iMac is now shipped out, planned delivery this Friday! It went from "shipping sometime this month" to "it's on the road". It's definitely flying - from Shanghai to Gothenburg in little over one day.
Yeah, I see other posts elsewhere saying that i7 iMacs have started shipping, both for Europe and North America. Friday would be perfect, but I'm guessing Monday for me.

P
Nov 11, 2009, 11:40 AM

I ordered October 26...
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2009, 06:47 PM

Damn Swedes!

I wonder what's holding mine up then, since I ordered almost a week before you did. Maybe it's that wired keyboard or the 2 TB drive (unless you got those too).

Oh well, c'est ma vie. Hopefully my iMac will ship by the end of the week.

richardh99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2009, 07:51 PM

Ordered i7 (no other options) on 20 October: latest from UPS: SHANGHAI, CN 12/11/2009 5:27 DEPARTURE SCAN

Given that it's those UPBs (Useless Parasitic B*****ds) at UPS, it'll take 24 hours to reach the UK and a fortnight to reach me...

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2009, 01:37 AM

Sweetness!

Shipped on: Nov 12, 2009 via UPS (FOR CANADA ONLY)

Delivers by: 19 Nov, 2009

Tracking Number: ABC123ITSUNMEGRL In case you hadn't already guessed, I didn't post my real tracking #.
Shipped To: TORONTO, ON, CA
Shipped/Billed On:12/11/2009
Product:WORLD EASE
Type:Package
Service:EXPEDITED
Special Instructions:SIGNATURE REQUIRED
Weight:19.40 Kgs
Multiple Packages:2
<--- Why??? Separate keyboard? Apple Care?

FireWire
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2009, 02:24 AM

Multiple Packages:2 <--- Why??? Separate keyboard? Apple Care?
That's because just as the UPS guy was leaving Apple, Steve Jobs came out of nowhere and said to the guy : "Wait... there's one more thing..."

P
Nov 12, 2009, 03:51 AM

Damn Swedes!

I wonder what's holding mine up then, since I ordered almost a week before you did. Maybe it's that wired keyboard or the 2 TB drive (unless you got those too).
I did not get the 2TB drive, but I really think it's just a question of the amount of delivery capacity to each part of the world. I also doubt that mine will be here by Friday as initially indicated, and if it shows up by Monday or Tuesday...no big difference.

docnarc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2009, 09:26 PM

I ordered the i7 w/2TB drive and 8 meg memory. According to FedEx it left Shanghai on Nov 11, made it to Anchorage, AK sorting facility on Nov 12, and departed the same day for the states. I am in the Atlanta, Georgia area. FedEx is estimating delivery on Monday Nov 16, but my experience with them is they usually deliver a day earlier then they estimate, so I figure it will come in on Saturday Nov 14(home delivery). Oh, and this is regular delivery, not expedited.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2009, 09:10 AM

Shipped/Billed On:12/11/2009
Product:WORLD EASE
Service:EXPEDITED
The shipping status has not yet changed. UPS's online site and automated phone system claim that they have not yet actually received the items for shipment.

World Ease is UPS's aggregate shipping method for large batches of items to reduce brokerage fees (compared to separately brokering individual items). Perhaps Apple is taking its time getting the batch together for its Canadian "Standard Shipping" shipments? Either that or there's some serious delay in the tracking, since Apple's page says it's already shipped out.

Oh well, I'll just have to assume I won't get it until mid week.
( Last edited by Eug; Nov 13, 2009 at 09:24 AM. )

richardh99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2009, 10:38 AM

Mine was showing as delivery next week - it arrived 30 minutes ago - i7/27"/4GB/1GB.

Richard

docnarc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2009, 02:11 PM

I received my i7 a few minutes ago from the FedEx guy. I was not expecting it until tomorrow, Nov 14, and that would have been a day earlier than FedEx had predicted delivery. It shipped out of Shanghai on Nov 11 and showed up at my door today on Nov 13, and that is not expedited. Pretty damn good! Thanks.

P
Nov 13, 2009, 02:14 PM

I need a bigger desk...

Further impressions after I actually boot the machine. Currently backing up the old one.

EDIT: So far the only flaw I've found is that the new display is much too bright when using the Photobooth flash effect - the picture is wildly overexposed. It is however impressively silent. The only thing you hear is the HD every now and then, not the fans.

Performance tests will have to wait until I get my main installation onto there.
( Last edited by P; Nov 13, 2009 at 04:01 PM. )

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2009, 05:10 PM

I bet Eug is looking out the window to hunt down the UPS guy!

duffman33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2009, 04:50 AM

When did everyone order theirs? I ordered mine on Thursday, after my macbook pro passed away. Mine still says shipping: November. It sucks being without my own computer, so I'm anxious to get it. At least I know this is the latest model for now, it would suck buying a new computer and then having Steve Jobs pull something even better out of his hat the next day...

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2009, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by polendo View Post
I bet Eug is looking out the window to hunt down the UPS guy!
I never expected mine until next week, and Apple's target arrival date is Nov. 19.

I'm not liking this UPS World Ease though. My order tracking still just states "Billing Information Received".

I'm guessing/hoping that means that Apple put in the tracking info, and then packaged it up with a bunch of other Macs destined for Toronto in a single palette for UPS World Ease, and then UPS is only updating tracking information internally for that palette as a whole. Once that palette arrives in Toronto and it is split back into individual items, I suspect I'll get a tracking update. So, if they started organizing all the shipping Nov. 12, then it got to Vancouver Nov. 13 or 14 (today) and then it might be in Toronto by today or tomorrow. The palette will be split by Monday, and after all the paperwork is done, then it could be delivered by Tuesday or Wednesday. That might be somewhat optimistic though, as the scheduled delivery date is Thursday according to Apple.

I'm just guessing though, since I have no idea how UPS World Ease really works.

Originally Posted by duffman33 View Post
When did everyone order theirs?
I ordered mine on Oct. 20.

I ordered mine on Thursday, after my macbook pro passed away. Mine still says shipping: November. It sucks being without my own computer, so I'm anxious to get it. At least I know this is the latest model for now, it would suck buying a new computer and then having Steve Jobs pull something even better out of his hat the next day...
That's why it's useful to read these sites!
( Last edited by Eug; Nov 14, 2009 at 09:43 AM. )

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2009, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by me View Post
I never expected mine until next week, and Apple's target arrival date is Nov. 19.

I'm not liking this UPS World Ease though. My order tracking still just states "Billing Information Received".

I'm guessing/hoping that means that Apple put in the tracking info, and then packaged it up with a bunch of other Macs destined for Toronto in a single palette for UPS World Ease, and then UPS is only updating tracking information internally for that palette as a whole. Once that palette arrives in Toronto and it is split back into individual items, I suspect I'll get a tracking update. So, if they started organizing all the shipping Nov. 12, then it got to Vancouver Nov. 13 or 14 (today) and then it might be in Toronto by today or tomorrow. The palette will be split by Monday, and after all the paperwork is done, then it could be delivered by Tuesday or Wednesday. That might be somewhat optimistic though, as the scheduled delivery date is Thursday according to Apple.

I'm just guessing though, since I have no idea how UPS World Ease really works.
Nope. It only got on the plane today.

SHANGHAI, CN 15/11/2009 22:15 DEPARTURE SCAN
15/11/2009 13:19 HUB SCAN
15/11/2009 13:05 ORIGIN SCAN
CN 12/11/2009 0:00 BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Oh well, I'll be optimistic and hope it will still arrive in Toronto by tomorrow, for delivery by Tuesday or Wednesday.

EDIT:

Has arrived in and then left Anchorage. It was in Anchorage for quite a while.

ANCHORAGE, AK, US 16/11/2009 1:55 DEPARTURE SCAN
ANCHORAGE, AK, US 15/11/2009 10:25 ARRIVAL SCAN

As of Sunday afternoon it was indicated to be delivered on Wed, but after that 15 hr layover in Alaska the date is back to Thurs again.
( Last edited by Eug; Nov 16, 2009 at 08:16 AM. )

SCHMEGGA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2009, 12:30 PM

Got my 27" Quadcore i7 this morning! Not quite set up yet, but posting this from it now.

SCHMEGGA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2009, 04:38 PM

Nobody else getting their's yet?

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2009, 11:18 PM

^^ Bah! Lucky bastards.

Mine got its Anchorage departure scan at 1:55 am, or 5:55 am Toronto time. It is now 10:18 pm Toronto time (over 16 hours later), and it still hasn't arrived anywhere yet.

EDIT:

Now 3:55 am Toronto time the next day, and still no change.

My understanding is that from Anchorage, our Canadian shipments will head to one of their main distribution centres, in Louisville, KY. Here is a list of UPS flights for that route. There certainly is no shortage of flights, so hopefully it made it onto a flight that arrived/is arriving this morning. (I'm assuming it hadn't already arrived yesterday in Louisville, sitting there unscanned, but who knows.)
( Last edited by Eug; Nov 17, 2009 at 04:55 AM. )

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2009, 10:29 AM

New thread title: "Tracking Eug's Core i7 iMac from Shanghai to Canada - Complete with links to UPS flights"

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2009, 10:34 AM

Yep, it's an iMac shipping thread afterall.

ps. No i7 iMacs here in retail stores yet either. Are the stores going to keep the i7 in stock? Or will it be i5 non CTO models only?
( Last edited by Eug; Nov 17, 2009 at 10:41 AM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2009, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
New thread title: "Tracking Eug's Core i7 iMac from Shanghai to Canada - Complete with links to UPS flights"
I LOL'd reading that.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2009, 12:47 PM

So, the local Apple Store still has no idea when their shipment of quad iMacs will arrive either. (They still don't have either i5 or i7 iMacs.) They also don't know if they'll actually be carrying i7 iMacs in stock at all.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2009, 12:53 PM

So Eug, where's it at now? Did it make it to Kentucky this morning on UPS2997?

P
Nov 17, 2009, 02:17 PM

Most likely they will not be carrying i7 iMacs. They rarely do carry CTO models.

iM@k
Senior User
Nov 17, 2009, 03:08 PM

Attention packages and post, welcome aboard UPS flight 2997 with non stop service to Toronto. At this time we would like to offer an extended welcome to the first class mail traveling with us today.

In preparation for departure, we would like to ask that you please make sure all cargo cans are securely stowed to the rails and bulk cargo is behind the nets.

Our flight time today is 2 hours and 15 mins, and with a nice tail wind, we may be arriving a few mins ahead of schedule.

We now invite you all to shift down, relax, and enjoy the flight.
What, me worry?

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2009, 05:34 PM

Heh. Dunno which flight it actually took. It never "arrived" in Kentucky but I now have a recent departure scan from Kentucky.

LOUISVILLE, KY, US 17/11/2009 15:32 DEPARTURE SCAN
SHANGHAI, CN 15/11/2009 23:35 DEPARTURE SCAN

Unfortunately, UPS tells me I shouldn't expect it in-hand until the 23rd.

P.S. I suspect there were be a lot of people getting it the same day as me. My shipment is in a lot of 145 units.

However, this could also mean that the local Apple Store won't get them until next week either.

Most likely they will not be carrying i7 iMacs. They rarely do carry CTO models.
Yeah maybe I'm confused. Some stores I've dealt with have had upgraded models, but I can't remember if it was the Apple Store or just 3rd party Mac stores (which may have special ordered 1 or 2 upgraded models to keep in stock).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2009, 03:52 AM

P
Nov 18, 2009, 06:16 AM

They're right: noone in Sweden reports any 27" iMacs in stock, according to a few price comparison sites I checked.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 18, 2009, 09:41 AM

Heh. Dunno which flight it actually took. It never "arrived" in Kentucky but I now have a recent departure scan from Kentucky.

Unfortunately, UPS tells me I shouldn't expect it in-hand until the 23rd.
I have noticed on many occasions that items coming to me through UPS have had "inconsistent" tracking data. Items will show as "arrived" in a hub city before they show "departed" in their previous location, or "departed" and "arrived" statuses for cities thousands of miles apart show with times separated by only a few minutes. The only solid thing I've noted is that when it's scanned as "on truck for delivery" that actually means it's on the truck. As many have noticed, UPS's system doesn't handle crossing the International Date Line well, either.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2009, 09:52 AM

They're right: noone in Sweden reports any 27" iMacs in stock, according to a few price comparison sites I checked.
Well, AFAIK, our retail stores (Apple and non-Apple) in Toronto have never had any quad iMacs in stock in the first place. The first shipment comes this week for them.

OTOH, there are some Core 2 Duo 27" iMacs still in stock in the city.

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I have noticed on many occasions that items coming to me through UPS have had "inconsistent" tracking data. Items will show as "arrived" in a hub city before they show "departed" in their previous location, or "departed" and "arrived" statuses for cities thousands of miles apart show with times separated by only a few minutes. The only solid thing I've noted is that when it's scanned as "on truck for delivery" that actually means it's on the truck. As many have noticed, UPS's system doesn't handle crossing the International Date Line well, either.
It seems Louisville is the only one that didn't get the arrival scan. Whatever the case, I am happy:

CONCORD, ON, CA 18/11/2009 8:48 OUT FOR DELIVERY
18/11/2009 7:36 ARRIVAL SCAN
MOUNT HOPE, ON, CA 18/11/2009 6:35 DEPARTURE SCAN
18/11/2009 5:53 IMPORT SCAN
18/11/2009 5:02 ARRIVAL SCAN
BUFFALO, NY, US 18/11/2009 2:54 DEPARTURE SCAN
18/11/2009 1:49 ARRIVAL SCAN
15/11/2009 22:15 DEPARTURE SCAN
15/11/2009 13:19 HUB SCAN
15/11/2009 13:05 ORIGIN SCAN
CN 12/11/2009 0:00 BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

That's a big change from "You won't get it until Monday, Nov. 23." which is what they told me in no uncertain terms yesterday.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2009, 10:44 AM

So it's today then, the 18th.

Shipped on: Nov 12, 2009 via UPS (FOR CANADA ONLY)

Delivers by: 19 Nov, 2009
IOW a day earlier than Apple estimated.

P
Nov 18, 2009, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
All timestamps are in the local time zone, even if this is not noted on the webpage, and the actual update to the database sometimes arrives with several hours delay - say that someone scans your package with a portable scanner and that scanner then connects with the network some hours later. The items are then sorted either on when the update arrived OR the time as stated, minus any timezone notification - that depends on the exact web app used.

If you ignore all sorting, figure out the correct timezones for all the locations and convert the timestamps to the same timezone, they actually line up rather nicely.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2009, 12:25 PM

Delivered.

So, now I have to somehow get through the rest of the day before I can take this massive box home to actually test it out.

BTW, I'm glad it's double-boxed. The external box had a hole in it. Also, the internal box is better designed. There is reinforcement where the iMac's stand gets close to box, to act as extra padding so the stand doesn't get damaged. In addition, the handle is much stronger with plastic reinforcements where it attaches to the box. These two packaging features were not present with my 2006 24" Core 2 Duo, and for that reason I was much more afraid of carrying the 24" around by the box handle. On the 27" the box handle seems super strong.

Didn't get the other package with the Apple Care stuff though.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2009, 07:25 PM

Looks like Eug is MIA.... do not forget you have to eat something!.. the iMac needs rest too... cheers!

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2009, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by polendo View Post
Looks like Eug is MIA.... do not forget you have to eat something!.. the iMac needs rest too... cheers!
You can find him here if you are looking for him.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2009, 09:57 PM

Yeah, ghporter suggested keeping the iMac discussion posts out of here, and the shipping discussion out of the iMac thread.

I've posted some benches here.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 19, 2009, 10:12 PM

Yeah, ghporter suggested keeping the iMac discussion posts out of here, and the shipping discussion out of the iMac thread.

I've posted some benches here.
I appreciate your restraint. Too many threads on technical matters morph into something quite useless to someone who gets there from a search engine, and this thread has a specific purpose: shipping discussions. There's lots of good "how do they run" stuff in the other i7 thread.

On the other hand, including links to one's posts, a lá "I got it, and I've posted my review in the i7 discussion thread" would be perfectly fine.

mc751n
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2009, 09:33 AM

Anyone order an i7 around 11/30 from Apple and have any updates on shipping?

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2009, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by mc751n View Post
Anyone order an i7 around 11/30 from Apple and have any updates on shipping?
I ordered 11/27 (day after Thanksgiving - $101 off) and my shipping is set for 12/11 with delivery on 12/16.

CT Aero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2009, 12:46 PM

I ordered a i7 on November 17th. Originally to have been shipped on Dec 2 now shipping delayed until Dec 11th.

Forum Links
Forum Rules