Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro Core i7 Sudden Crashes

MacBook Pro Core i7 Sudden Crashes
reRESERVEDMD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2010, 02:24 AM

Hi,

As some of you already know, I recently got the i7 MBP 15" and put a 128GB CORSAIR SSD in it.

Yesterday while just watching a movie, the browser froze but I could hear the audio, then the system and finally the mouse which forced me to shut down the computer by holding the Power button for 4 seconds.

Today, same thing but the computer managed to return to normal and didn't need restart.

I checked permissions, ran apple hardware test and nothing was found... The only noticeable thing is the boot time increased from 8 seconds to about 15...

Do you think this could be caused by a faulty SSD or maybe something else?
MacBook Pro 15" Intel Core i7 2.66Ghz/4GB/GeForce 330GT M 512MB/Corsair 128GB SSD
Mac Pro coming soon
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2010, 02:45 AM

Have you checked the console logs to see what happened at that time?

My Core i7 is still going very strong with its Intel X25-M G2 SSD.

reRESERVEDMD  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2010, 01:19 PM

No, not yet but I will do that!

I could just bring it back to the store and get another one but it's a pain in the ass having to reinstall everything again!
MacBook Pro 15" Intel Core i7 2.66Ghz/4GB/GeForce 330GT M 512MB/Corsair 128GB SSD
Mac Pro coming soon
iPhone 4 32GB Black

reRESERVEDMD  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2010, 01:59 AM

Can someone else help? I honestly didn't find anything special in the console and would really like to know if maybe the SSD already managed to degrade so much just after putting the system on.

This is the console around time it happened:

Mac Pro coming soon
iPhone 4 32GB Black

reRESERVEDMD  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2010, 02:04 AM

120 views and no one knows what could've caused this?

Also the computer ran extremely hot during those times. One it hit I believe 85 Celsius just watching House on Hulu full screen.
Mac Pro coming soon
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2010, 04:53 AM

85C is hot, but for a modern mobile CPU it's by no means extraordinary. When I encode h264 on my Core i7 MBP for example I routinely see 90C+ temperatures. Your MBP would shut off before heat damages the CPU or other components.

If you suspect the SSD is giving you trouble I suggest you remove it and re-install the stock HDD. You can clone the SSD to the stock drive. See if trouble persists without the SSD. If it doesn't, get your SSD replaced.

reRESERVEDMD  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2010, 06:07 PM

Today the boot speed went back down to 8 seconds. I also haven't seen any problems since. I have 2 more weeks to have the drive replaced, so I will just see if the computer starts crapping out on me and if not, then I will just keep the drive.
Mac Pro coming soon
iPhone 4 32GB Black

strontiumAE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2010, 10:48 AM

If the machine is giving u troubles this early, just replace it. Reinstalling everything would be the least of your problems a year or two down the line IMO.
Totally obsessed with Apples, but not so much with Blackberries...

Forum Links
Forum Rules