Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > G3 v. G4 500 and OS X?

G3 v. G4 500 and OS X?
Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2002, 08:16 AM

I have an old 8600 with a G3 500 upgrade card in it. Will it run OS X decently? Would a G4 500 run it significantly more decently to justify buying one? Is it more trouble than it is worth given that I will be buying rev. b of the next gen desktop?

Thanks

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2002, 08:43 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Podolsky:
<strong>I have an old 8600 with a G3 500 upgrade card in it. Will it run OS X decently
Would a G4 500 run it significantly more decently to justify buying one? </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I'm not sure if the upgraded 8600 is compatible with osx. Perhaps the apple website will have compatability list. If it does run my guess is it will be real slow. I had a 450mhz cube and OSX ran decently on it and so my to answer your second queston yes it would run faster to justify a newer computer but then I sold my cube for a dual gig - I'm one of those geeks that likes to be on the bleeding edge.

Mike
~Mike

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2002, 11:37 AM

Don't know about your 8600, but a G4 466 was way faster than the snow iMac 500 I had when I compared the two(back in october).

OreoCookie
Jun 19, 2002, 12:43 PM

I think it's time for a new Mac. The point is that OS X is not properly compatible with your system. There is no guarantee that it will work with the hacks out there.

I'd wait till July to see what happens to the PowerMac ...

If you can afford a new one :-)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2002, 03:54 PM

FOOLS!

OS X will run on ANY system with PCI. Go download XPostFacto at versiontracker.com. I sucessfully installed Mac OS 10.1 on my PowerMac 7300 (with the stock 604e too).
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Podolsky  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2002, 12:40 AM

I appreciate the posts. Yes, looks I could do it but I am not willing to go commando. I run X on my PB but buy the new desktops or a refurbed dual 800 or 1ghz if I don't like the new ones.

What are the rumours on the new desktops?

OreoCookie
Jun 20, 2002, 03:30 AM

Even though you can install it on such an old computer, it won't be the same experience. The older your computer is, the more (relative) processing power it needs to run Aqua.

It will run sluggish on an old computer.

Even though my iBook is about three months old, it sometimes feels sluggish (no G4 ).

If you want the OS X experience and you are looking for a desktop, get a new one.

BTW, of course you can run OS X on the PCI Macs, but many drivers for older PCI cards are missing. You might be forced to take them out.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

pmcd
Senior User
Jun 20, 2002, 03:56 AM

I run it on an 8600/300 with 256megs of memory . It ran ok with the original mach-5 cpu (604ev) and it runs fine with a G3/400 upgrade. I think you will be very happy with a G3/500 in it. It is very easy to install and very stable. I also have 2 Cubes (450MHz), a b4/450 upgraded to a G4/500 and a couple of iMac's. I don't mind using the 8600 at all with OSX. SCSI works great and so on...

Some people can't stand not running the latest and greatest. If you have the money that's fine but it's better to wait and get what you want. In the meantime the 8600 is a fine system (I enjoy it better than the iMac -not the flat-screen one obviously).

philip

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Podolsky:
<strong>I have an old 8600 with a G3 500 upgrade card in it. Will it run OS X decently? Would a G4 500 run it significantly more decently to justify buying one? Is it more trouble than it is worth given that I will be buying rev. b of the next gen desktop?

Thanks</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">

motti
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2002, 07:18 AM

i downloaded XPostFacto right of versiontracker and it seems to be a corrupt file, i can't unstuff it. tried to find UnsupportedX but had no chance, seems to be an older application and all the links to it are broken. could anyone send me working one, please? [email protected]

thank you a lot!
AppleWatch - System Requirements: Female or male wrist | Left or right hand version | Ability to have a good time

Forum Links
Forum Rules