Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Super v. Combo 40 v. 60

Super v. Combo 40 v. 60
Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2002, 10:46 AM

It isn't a $$ thing but I don't see myself burning a lot of DVDs now or even in the future. I have an external FireWire drive. Would love to hear pros and cons of the 2 drive options. I will be ordering my 1ghz powerbook (from Apple due to the Ram upgrade option and free printer), once I get the config worked out. While your commenting, any advantage to the 40gig vs. the 60gig? is the 40 or 60 faster/better?

Commodus
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2002, 11:10 AM

The Combo drive is faster than the Superdrive, so save yourself a bit of money if you aren't likely to ever burn DVDs.

As for the 40 and 60 GB drives, I've heard that supposedly they use the same number of platters, and so the 60 GB drive is higher-density and thus more efficient. However, you almost certainly won't get a 50% increase in speed, so I wouldn't consider the 60 GB drive essential unless this Powerbook would act as a desktop replacement.

Podolsky  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2002, 12:01 PM

Thanks. I am going to opt for the combo and the 60. I don't like what I am hearing about the Superdrives. They are slower and only DVD-R at a rather low speed. I don't need DVD-R really at all and so I can save bit of $$ and get a better device for my purposes. The machine will be a desktop replacement so I am going to go witht he 60. Apple is taking $250 off my order so I will pay abut $2600 for 1ghz, 1mg, 60gig, plus I get a free printer....I am pleased.

caseygittings
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2002, 12:54 PM

Crazy! Get the super drive down the road you will be glad you did. Copied my first dvd last night of minority report. This is great.
Casey Gittings

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2002, 01:55 PM

I went for the ComboDrive and 60GB HD combination and couldn't be more pleased. The 60GB Fujitsu HD is absolutely silent, gives me the space I need, and runs faster than the 40GB drives in the 867MHz/1GHz. (Also faster than the5400 rpm 60GB IBM that's in my 500MHz Rev. A TiBook.)

Lots of folks will recommend the SuperDrive, and it is a fine piece of hardware for those who want or need it; but the ComboDrive suits my purposes and I'm completely satisfied. Do note that the ComboDrive is only faster than the SuperDrive when it comes to reading DVD-ROM discs, (8x vs. 6x) and when writing to CD-RW (8x vs. 4X). Of course, faster DVD read times should mean faster software (OS) installations, etc.

You might consider the SuperDrive if you want to burn backups to DVD-R media, or if you plan to do a lot of video work.

Podolsky  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2002, 01:59 PM

Thanks Issa. I don't even burn many CD right now so I am going to wait until my needs expand and the solution matures a bit more. I am going with the 60 so, it looks like I will be getting the same setup you have. My wife will get my 667 and everyone should be set. Any other advice before I place my order??

Commodus
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2002, 02:02 PM

It's not all that crazy at the moment. The Superdrive in the Powerbook is a first-run model, so while it has the appeal of new technology it will also seem antiquated (however much that term can apply to a slot-loading DVD-R drive) in awhile. Those who know they won't burn DVDs often won't lose all that much.

That's not a knock against people who are getting Superdrive models, of course. If you do intend to use the DVD-R function or expect to use it in the near future, then there's every reason to opt for it. It's just not as much of a must-have item in a new laptop as it might be a year from now.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2002, 02:06 PM

You're welcome for whatever help I was able to provide. One thing you'll want to do is to make sure you have a laptop bag or sleeve (such as the large Incase sleeve or the Mitre by Tom Bihn) ready to go for when your Powerbook arrives. It might be a desktop replacement, but when you take it with you it's important to keep it nice and snug!

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2002, 02:21 PM

My wife will get my 667 and everyone should be set.
We're in a similar boat here as well. My wife is now happily using my 500MHz Rev. A.

Any other advice before I place my order??
Nothing specific other than to recommend you place your order soon. Best Christmas present you could buy yourself! Oh, you might want to go for 1GB of RAM if Apple's offering the double-your-memory discount where you are located. The 1GHz/1GB/60GB/Combo is going to blow your mind while doing great things for productivity. For the first time ever I feel a little like that dude in the easy chair with his hair blowing backwards in the old Maxell ad!

Podolsky  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2002, 02:23 PM

I already have the 2 Bihn bags and a great setup for moving the PowerBook around. I am taking my 667 to Madrid Saturday! Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules