Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Bto? Not!

Bto? Not!
Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2003, 03:25 PM

While I am very impressed with the new PowerMac G5s - I am really disappointed in the shame the build-to-order has become. While it looks like you have the ability to BTO, I assure, that is not the case. And why not? Apple is supposed to have the most automated state-of-art assembly system.....

-Q-
Jun 25, 2003, 03:29 PM

Can you be more specific? I don't see any more/less options than have been offered before...

mac freak
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 03:45 PM

Well, when I ordered my DP450 three years ago, I could DOWNGRADE options such as RAM, HD size, etc.

These days, Apple only allows upgrades, save for superdrive --> combodrive.

"Processor" used to be a pull-down menu with all the CPU options as well, so you could start with the low-end machine and just pump up the CPU

Apple's BTO options today consist of:
- Buying more RAM for triple its value
- Buying more HD space at inflated prices
- Adding overpriced Apple monitors
- Upgrading your video card w/o taking into account what the price of the CURRENT card is (i.e. 9600 --> 9800 = $300, whereas their prices are NOT $300 apart!).
- Removing t3h m0d3m for teh 23 doollarz!
- Adding a SECOND overpriced Apple monitor
- The iPod is a BTO option? Huh?

Back in the day, I'd get the system as low as it'd go with only a high CPU, and upgrade the HD/RAM/etc. myself for less than half the price.

EDIT: Fixed bullet points... for some reason "opt-8" was spitting out question marks instead of dots
( Last edited by mac freak; Jun 26, 2003 at 01:13 AM. )
Be happy.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 09:44 PM

LoL, I hafta agree...Apple's BTO system is a tad weird, in essence it's simply constructed to encourage the customer to spend MORE without looking at their downgrading options. And yes, including an iPod as a BTO-option is ludacrious.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 11:44 PM

Well you will notice that on all the models you can slice $250.00 off if you don't need a 56k Modem or a superdrive.

MikeM

galarneau
Senior User
Jun 25, 2003, 11:53 PM

I agree, the BTO option really is pathetic.

In my case, I would like to buy a bare-bones machine, and then add everything myself:

No HD
No optical drive
No RAM
No video Card

Just give me the case, motherboard, PSU, and whatever processor I want (and an OS)

THAT would be built-to-order

Forum Links
Forum Rules