Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > PNG browser woes

PNG browser woes
arcticmac
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2005, 08:39 PM

OK... so, I'm working on a website, and I decide to put png images on it... so, I export from photoshop, and save it, and open the site... wait a minute... the png color doesn't match where it's supposed to... at least, not in Camino.

(Yes, if you're wondering, I've had this problem before... I've just never gotten it fixed)

anyhow... to continue. Last time this happened I learned that it can be corrected in mozilla based browsers by using the GIMP (I couldn't find this in photoshop) to remove the gamma value from the png... here's the results in different browsers (before and after removing gamma):

Mozilla-based:
before: too light
after: perfect

Safari:
before: right on
after: too dark

Explorer:
before: too dark
after: right on

Opera: same as mozilla

iCab: (css sucks)
before: fine
after: fine (I think... it was hard to tell though because the images didn't line up since the css sucks so much, but...)

SO.........

the question is, how do I do it so it works?

Which browser(s) do I throw out?

If you all want to see a test, here's the before:
http://arcticmac.home.comcast.net/mbs/index.html
and here's the after:
http://arcticmac.home.comcast.net/mbs/index2.html

(yes, this is the third forum I posted this in. other two are apple discussions and resex)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2005, 08:51 PM

Both Safari and Firefox give me the same result: before is good as gold, after is too dark. Maybe you have some funky ColorSync settings or something?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2005, 09:54 PM

I've noticed differences in PNG brightness as well.

After recently finishing my website using (almost) all PNG's, I noticed that in Firefox, they were all just a very slight shade lighter. In Safari they looked how they were supposed to, and IE:Mac looked the same as Safari. On Opera and IE for Windows they looked the same, and I didn't try the Windows version of Firefox, or any other Mozilla browser. BTW, I'm using the "Off" color settings in Photoshop CS when creating my graphics, and typically use Save For Web.

For your two test pages, I got the same results as Chuckit. I definitely think there's something weird about PNG's in Firefox/Mozilla, though.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

arcticmac  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2005, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by Chuckit:
Both Safari and Firefox give me the same result: before is good as gold, after is too dark. Maybe you have some funky ColorSync settings or something?
Sorry... I forgot to clarify...

you're supposed to be comparing the top left corner image (which you noticed) to the 1px border, not to the other image...

Yes, of course the image in the top-left is darker than the other one after, but that's cause the gamma removal SHOULD make it darker, and I was too lazy to do both. If you pull out the digital color meter and compare colors between browsers, you'll see what I mean. (I think)

Forum Links
Forum Rules