Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > X11 Giving Me Problems (crap)

X11 Giving Me Problems (crap)
arcticmac
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2007, 12:00 PM

So, I'm running X11 rooted and using ctwm as my window system. And it's good and I like it, mostly. But I like to leave it running for long periods of time, and after a while the Xwindow server stops accepting connections. When new programs (ex. another xterm) try to open, I get this error:
Code:
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server Xlib: No protocol specified xterm Xt error: Can't open display: :0.0
Any ideas what is causing this? it gets really annoying to have to close everything I have going in my X session and then relaunch X11 just to open a new xterm or gimp or firefox window.

And I should note that it works just fine right after I start it up, but then stops working later. On occasion it'll start working again after that, but it tends to be unpredictable.

Cold Warrior
May 21, 2007, 01:54 PM

horrible thread title

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2007, 01:56 PM

Why are you running ff under x11?

arcticmac  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2007, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
horrible thread title
sorry you don't like it. But as you well know, I can't change it, and I thought it wasn't too bad, since X11 is giving me crap... so lay off.
Originally Posted by peeb
Why are you running ff under x11?
Generally I'm not, but that's entirely beside the point. The point is that NOTHING can create new connections to the window server, and I don't want to have to close down all 15 different xterms and 3 gv's etc. that I have running that each has a command history I'd like to be able to use and a working directory (and possibly directory stack) that I'd like to keep using.

ghporter
Administrator
May 21, 2007, 02:48 PM

Let's not be so testy. We do have a rule about thread titles being meaningful and descriptive, so the comment was valid.

On the main subject, how many connections are you running when you get this message? Is there possibly a newer version of the X11 you're using (I'm not sure whose you're using) or one with a patch that addresses "can open more windows" problems?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

arcticmac  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2007, 03:04 PM

getting testy comes from two consecutive responses that were not at all constructive (with respect to solving the issue at hand). and thank you for changing it to something better (that is, the thread title).

Thanks for the legitimate response though. The number of connections seems to vary depending on the time. at times I have just one or two, while at others I've got well over two dozen. It doesn't really seem to have a lot of effect how many are open, since if I relaunch X11, I can open about 70 or 80, which is way more than I normally ever try to. As far as version, I'm running 1.1.3 of Apple's X11, which is the latest, right?

ghporter
Administrator
May 21, 2007, 06:11 PM

That sounds like the latest, but I'd have to do some looking. This is a Very Odd issue-X11 is supposedly very robust and reliable. Hopefully someone will chime in and offer some practical advice, since all I have is theoretical advice at the moment.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules