Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > replace drive in clamshell iBook?

replace drive in clamshell iBook?
iPaulo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2002, 12:41 PM

Hi,

i was wondering if it's possible to replace the drive from my ibook grafite for a faster new one. Has anyone done this? Is this possible?

Thanks for the help

Paulo

ophion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2002, 01:36 PM

Yes, I have done this. Be warned that it is somewhat difficult. You must disassemble the iBook almost entirely.

Instructions

kdixey
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2002, 04:40 PM

I did it (although I paid to have someone else do the install). It made the ibook much nicer to work on. I put a 40gb Toshiba drive.

Kevin
--
"We are more curious about the meaning of dreams than things we see when awake"

....Diogenes

Gametes
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2002, 01:11 AM

I bought an IBM 20GB, and did the install myself. It was stressful, but not in truth very difficult; it's all in your mind. Anyway, the experience was wonderful, though I (as many others) ended up with one left over screw.

I say go for it.
you are not your signature

slider
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2002, 11:49 AM

I would like to do this upgrade, but my purpose would be for speed improvements not increased capacity. I just dropped a 512 chip in it from 320MB to 576MB and I think it is smoother, of course this is subjective. I don't know what the current speed of my iBook harddrive is so that would be a good place to start. The amount of noise would be the next concern, speed then noise with speed being the primary issue. Thanks for the link to the upgrade site.

Specs. iBook 466, 576MB, stock HD

Macrat
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2002, 07:00 PM

I upgraded my 466 as well, and it is not difficult if you are are methodical and take the extra time to organize all the parts and screws. The only hard part was prying the top cover (with the trackpad) off. I really thought I was going to break it trying to get it off!

kdixey
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2002, 07:26 PM

I did the same thing. I put 576mb RAM and upgraded the drive to 40mb. I chose a 5400rpm drive for better performance. I find the ibook to be very useable after the upgrade (although the 800x600 screen does bug me sometimes). The drive does not appear sound any noisier than the old one was and it feels quite a bit snappier (although I think the RAM has probably contributed more to the systems overall improvement.

I ended up spending about $400 on the hardware upgrade (including installation of the drive). It is about half the price of the low end ibook and since I was not in a position to buy a new machine it made sense for me.
--
"We are more curious about the meaning of dreams than things we see when awake"

....Diogenes

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2002, 11:46 PM

Yeah, it is possible and make sure you are focused and keep track of your screws. You have to take apart the iBook completely, and while it's not an easy task if you are technically fluent it's not that hard.

iPaulo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2002, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the insigth... but i guess i'll keep the default drive and save money for a new iBook.
Probably i'll add memory (replacing the drives takes way too mauch screws )

Paulo

Forum Links
Forum Rules