Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac order from Jan 11

iMac order from Jan 11
lb4runner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2002, 12:52 PM

I orderd the new iMac (G4/800) on Jan 11 through Apple Store - Today is Feb 27 and the status is still "Being Assembled". Has anyone who ordered around Jan 11 received it yet? The last call to Apple indicated the unit will ship the week of Feb 18 but it never materialized. The wait continues...

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2002, 12:59 PM

dude, i'd call up and complain big time. thats not cool.
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

Jim Reese
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2002, 01:32 PM

I placed my order on Jan. 13th for the iMac G4 800Mhz with BTO option of 512MB RAM (1 DIMM). At the 5 week point, I called to inquire about the order, having received no emails about the expected ship date, or shipment delays. I was told they had no idea when my iMac would ship. I called back at the 6 week point, and was told the unit "might" ship mid-March, but there was no guarante, and it might be April before I received it. Can you believe it? Order in January, take delivery in April.

Apparently, the BTO options are low priority for Apple. Perhaps the fact that I ordered through the Developer Hardware Discount Program resulted in more of a delay. In any case, I called yesterday to ask for an update, and was given the same story... no idea when it will ship. I immediately cancelled the order with Apple and went to Outpost.com and placed my order, since they had about 40 units in stock. I will receive it tomorrow.

I won't be able to get to 1GB of RAM without finding an authorized technician to install the 512MB DIMM (to avoid voiding warranty) but I'm convinced I could easily do the upgrade myself, since I obtained a draft copy of Apple's service manual for the new iMac before it was yanked from the web. I also paid hundreds more without my developer discount, but having the machine now is higher priority than waiting another month or more.

I understand Apple being overwhelmed with orders for this new machine, and I've been patiently waiting for them to catch up. But, reading posts from people who ordered in February and have already received their iMacs, tends to make one less forgiving. I find it hard to believe that a company that makes such great hardware and software can be so inept with their online store, in that they are unable to provide any useful information on when I could reasonably expect delivery. I'm also puzzled as to why other buyers seem to be getting frequent updates via email, but I have received nothing. I was surprised when they asked me why I was cancelling my order, after reading posts from other buyers who cancelled and were never asked why they cancelled.

Anyway, hope other buyers have had better success with their iMac orders than I have. I remain a loyal Apple customer, but will think twice about ordering from the Apple Store, especially for a product that isn't immediately available for shipment.

stefls
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2002, 01:35 PM

Dear people, it's ridiculous but hey... you know Apple... (and that's no excuse whatsoever ).

lb4runner  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2002, 07:26 PM

The financial analysts indicate today that iMac manufacturing has problems and hence the delay. However, it is puzzling why Amzon (or other retailers) have units in stock unless it was ordered before Jan 11.

I agree Apple does very poor job of delivering units in the 3 to 5 week time they indicate and additionally does not acknowledge the reasons for the delay. Hey, be up front and indicate there is an additional 2 to 4 week delay. But what do I know. The bean counters worry this will slow down from new orders coming in if they let the reasons out. And the stock markets will kill them.

I will explore ordering catalog stores (especially with free shipment and no sales tax) and cancel the Apple store order.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2002, 07:36 PM

According to cnet, due to some radiation issues, they only shipped 5,000 units and will only ship 5000-10,000 units this month. That puts them 200,000 units short. It's also why their stock plunged today.

lb4runner  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2002, 07:44 PM

It works out one iMac every 13 seconds to meet the 200,000 units if the production runs 24 hours a day in the month of March.
No wonder the stock went down. Is the 200,000 number total for all 3 models or just the top end? At this rate increasing the 5% marketshare is a long process.

macthelastredman
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2002, 09:45 PM

i feel really bad for anyone who ordered an imac in january and still hasnt gotten there imac. i love apple but thats just bs...i ordered mine from outpost tuesday and am getting it tomorrow...i almost feel guilty about getting it.
iMac G4 800mhz 768 ram OS X (10.1.5) & iPod 5gb

beb
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2002, 01:13 AM

and waits...

and waits...

and waits...

and grumbles...

deathandtaxes
Feb 28, 2002, 03:02 PM

Some good news. I ordered mine on Jan. 10 and it arrived on Monday. It's gorgeous. The screen is brilliant. Be patient. You'll forget about the wait as soon as it arrives.

lb4runner  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2002, 11:04 AM

The online store says today, March 1st, the unit shipped.
Looks like "counting down" to the delivery date now. 7 weeks from order to shipment, another week for delivery. 8 Weeks total.

Springer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2002, 05:54 PM

I ordered my iMac 700 combo drive Jan 14 from Apple store UK and today received an e-mail from them stating it will not ship until the first week in April. They have also offered a 50 Euro(not sure what that equates to in Pounds or Dollars) coupon to spend in the Apple store for the inconvenience.
Ah well another month on my daughters iMacSE wont kill me, but she might.

BrooklynSon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2002, 01:01 AM

i ordered my G4 800 superdrive w/ 512mb on the 28 of Jan. and i called these cats today and they told me within the next week it should come from overseas. i didn't riff at them but if my status doesn't change to being prepped for shipment soon i'm gonna boost one out the store from compusa or downtown at jandr cause the apple store is buggin lettin me wait while other peoples done already got theirs you know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules