Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What is a "content whore"?

What is a "content whore"?
finboy
Apr 11, 2008, 02:11 PM

I had someone use this term this morning, and I don't think they've got a handle on what it means.

I don't want to bias anyone by giving out too much context.

Any ideas?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2008, 02:17 PM

A post whore that posts long posts instead of short ones ?

-t

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 11, 2008, 02:24 PM

A whore that is content?

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2008, 02:29 PM

In a publishing context, it would be someone who writes an article like "Natalie Portman's breasts raise controversy", or something else clearly designed to pique interest and get the clicky-clicky. This is increasingly prevalent in the online media environment, where suddenly editors know exactly how many people read which article, and for how many pages.

On Slashdot/reddit/digg, I guess it might just be someone who reposts the original content in a comment, as a form of karma whoring.

One thing I think it's not is what I might call a "content John", i.e. someone who has to consume as much media as possible, scanning blogs, newspapers, TV, etc for entertainment and distraction.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2008, 02:55 PM

I thought it just meant someone who consumes as much content as they possibly can, often going so far as to sacrifice other things in their lives just to be able to consume more content. Think people who Twitter, MySpace, Facebook and RSS at every moment of the day and night until they vomit.

I'm relating this to the term "attention whore". Someone who can't get enough attention. Therefore, "content whore" would mean someone who can't get enough content.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2008, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I thought it just meant someone who consumes as much content as they possibly can, often going so far as to sacrifice other things in their lives just to be able to consume more content. Think people who Twitter, MySpace, Facebook and RSS at every moment of the day and night until they vomit.

I'm relating this to the term "attention whore". Someone who can't get enough attention. Therefore, "content whore" would mean someone who can't get enough content.

Good view and explanation.

-t

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2008, 03:00 PM

Hmm, good point. Perhaps both uses -- as producer and as consumer -- are out there.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2008, 03:25 PM

in regards to music. it can be said that a soloist who uses all the space with as many notes possible is a content whore.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2008, 05:34 PM

What is a content whore?

Depends on how much you pay her surely.

iM@k
Senior User
Apr 11, 2008, 05:37 PM

I would take it has a woman who rents out her body for sexual purposes and is mutually gratified by her work (ie she's content).
What, me worry?

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2008, 08:56 PM

^^

Friggin' brilliant.

mclovin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2008, 12:53 PM

Not sure what that is.

finboy  (op)
Apr 12, 2008, 02:42 PM

Thanks for all of the input folks.

Let me give you some context. The IT folks at our university (which is pretty close-knit) are complaining that faculty who change their course content often (specificially, with weekly quizzes) are taking too much of their time -- the faculty should do all of that updating themselves rather than having the IT folks do it. I was told by the chief of IT yesterday that his Web developers are there to design a "world-class" online experience and are tired of being "content whores" with an emphasis on "content."

My question was "what's next?" If they can't support the primary mission of the university without canceling this function, what else will they tell us to cut out?
( Last edited by finboy; Apr 14, 2008 at 12:50 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules