Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > OS X on Strawberry iMac

OS X on Strawberry iMac
finboy
Dec 13, 2011, 01:58 PM

Does anyone have any primary experience running OS X on one of the 333Mhz Strawberry iMacs?

Will XPostFacto allow Panther on one of these machines (no Firewire port)?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2011, 02:14 PM

It was OS X Tiger 10.4 which required built-in FireWire, not Panther. You should be able to install OS X 10.3 Panther on a 333 MHz iMac as long as it comes with 128 MB RAM.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2011, 06:20 PM

Crack open Mac, pull drive mount externally on other mac. Install 10.4 from dog etc. reinstall drive into iMac. As long as you have decent amounts of RAM it will run fine(ish) on any non FW mac.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2011, 08:15 PM

I had 10.4 running on a similar 333MHz G3 PowerBook with 512MB of RAM for ages. It was ok.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

finboy  (op)
Dec 15, 2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I had 10.4 running on a similar 333MHz G3 PowerBook with 512MB of RAM for ages. It was ok.
I wondered about THAT too - I've got to update Jaguar on my Pismo.

Thanks for the reply everyone. Pulling the drive and installing wasn't something I thought about.

I've added full RAM, so I might just think about putting Tiger on there. If I can find a retail copy someplace.

Salty
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2011, 11:35 PM

I ran Panther with 160 megs of RAM and it was passable.

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2011, 08:31 PM

I have Tiger running on my G4 Sawtooth and it's tolerable and now serves as my media server for exercise videos (have to downsample them a bit less than SD).

vsurfer
Senior User
Dec 26, 2011, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Crack open Mac, pull drive mount externally on other mac. Install 10.4 from dog etc. reinstall drive into iMac. As long as you have decent amounts of RAM it will run fine(ish) on any non FW mac.
Never thought of that — Glad I came across this thread - I was about to write off my Strawberry iMac as it was frozen in time stopped at 10.3.5, or something like that, and the browser support for modern sites was slow and lousy, and no longer supported browsers that work with Yahoo.

This might get some more life out of what has so far been the longest-lived mac in my entire stable. Other stronger unobtanium powerbooks and more modern iMacs have come in, fallen apart, or motherboardied-out in the interim (sad to say). Before I farged my SuSE installation up that little fruitbox was a triple-booting wild thang.

It, survived a power spike, was retired once before, and has run a Western Digital 7200 rpm drive for the last decade or more.

Hate to let such an iconic machine go the way of the dodo.

Forum Links
Forum Rules