Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Express arrived!

Airport Express arrived!
awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 11:16 AM

Guess what I just found sitting on my front doorstep! Such a small box. I'm going to hook it up now, and I'll get back to you.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2004, 11:29 AM

Wow.. Can I touch it?
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

awaspaas  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 11:47 AM

Yes, you may.

Apparently you need to use a computer that has an Airport card installed to set it up - I tried running the assistant on my Cube (which is connected to a router via Ethernet) and it complained, so I'm installing the assistant on my iBook now. (That may be a problem for some)

awaspaas  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 12:22 PM

Works exactly as advertised (once I remembered to add its MAC address to my D-link router's access control list). I can stream from my iBook or from my Cube. A few notes:

When streaming, my computer is transmitting 75-115 KB/s (thanks MenuMeters)

I can connect to my Cube's shared library from the iBook, and stream from there to Airport Extreme, which is impressive as the data goes like this: Cube --> Router --> iBook --> Router --> Airport Extreme.

iTunes doesn't use a noticeably greater amount of CPU while streaming to Airport Extreme than just playing to the speakers (which is a little confusing to me, since isn't it supposedly encoding to Apple Lossless on-the-fly?)

Any other questions?

galarneau
Senior User
Jul 14, 2004, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by awaspaas:
I can connect to my Cube's shared library from the iBook, and stream from there to Airport Extreme, which is impressive as the data goes like this: Cube --> Router --> iBook --> Router --> Airport Extreme.
Cool. I was really hoping you could do that. My iBook has a tiny 30GB hard drive, and it's silly to have 1/2 of it filled with music.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 12:51 PM

Will the AXP act as a wireless bridge/repeater for your D-Link?
Does the e'net port act as a LAN port on the network? In other words, can you connect devices to it and have them join the LAN as if they were wired to a switch?

Have fun.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 01:00 PM

When streaming, my computer is transmitting 75-115 KB/s (thanks MenuMeters)
Do you know if that measurement is in kilobytes or kilobits per second? If it's kilobits, 75-115 seems a bit low (less than a 128kbps-encoded song), and I have a feeling a lot of people hooking this up to high-quality stereos would be upset, but if it were bytes, (equivalent to 600 - 920 kbits) that seems quite reasonable and should sound great.

awaspaas  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
Will the AXP act as a wireless bridge/repeater for your D-Link?
Does the e'net port act as a LAN port on the network? In other words, can you connect devices to it and have them join the LAN as if they were wired to a switch?

Have fun.
"Extend the range of your Airport Extreme network" does not work for me. You must need an Apple Airport Extreme base station or another Airport Express for that to work.

As for the LAN port, lemmie find an ethernet cable...

awaspaas  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
Do you know if that measurement is in kilobytes or kilobits per second? If it's kilobits, 75-115 seems a bit low (less than a 128kbps-encoded song), and I have a feeling a lot of people hooking this up to high-quality stereos would be upset, but if it were bytes, (equivalent to 600 - 920 kbits) that seems quite reasonable and should sound great.
capital KB = kilobytes

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2004, 05:10 PM

"Extend the range of your Airport Extreme network" does not work for me. You must need an Apple Airport Extreme base station or another Airport Express for that to work.

As for the LAN port, lemmie find an ethernet cable...
Any word on the LAN port? If this thing could act as a wireless bridge as well I'd be in hog heaven.

-matt

awaspaas  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by ratlater:
Any word on the LAN port? If this thing could act as a wireless bridge as well I'd be in hog heaven.

-matt
I can't get it to work in my current setup (client mode connecting to a D-link wireless router) but the FAQ seems to imply that it will if you're in WDS mode (extending the range of an Airport Extreme base station)

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 08:54 PM

Ya, I wouldn't expect it to work, if WDS doesn't work. Seems reasonable, though. Apple said it would only work with 2 AXPs or an AXP and a AXT.

brentsg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2004, 10:02 PM

Argggh.

I placed an order for 2 of them the day they were announced. For some reason, Apple called me at work and offered me a 10% discount on anything in the Apple store. Well, I cancelled my order for the 2 Airport Express units and had her place a new order. Got a nice 10% discount but now I apparently have to wait until Friday for mine to arrive!

B

soul searching
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 05:56 PM

I can't get it to work in my current setup (client mode connecting to a D-link wireless router) but the FAQ seems to imply that it will if you're in WDS mode (extending the range of an Airport Extreme base station)
Does this mean you cannot go from the Cube > Router > Airport Extreme?

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

awaspaas  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by soul searching:
Does this mean you cannot go from the Cube > Router > Airport Extreme?
That was referring to LAN port bridging in client mode. You need an Airport Extreme or other WDS-compatible router for that.

Parky
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 01:38 PM

My Airport Express arrived today in the UK!!

Working great for internet and iTunes.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Forum Links
Forum Rules