Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Quality Prob: PowerBook 12" Video to monitor

Quality Prob: PowerBook 12" Video to monitor
brentsg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2005, 01:47 PM

I am using the Apple dongle to output VGA from my Rev. C 12" PowerBook to a Mits 22" CRT.

If I use 1024x768 and keep the refresh down around 75 or so it looks fine, but I need at least 1280x1024 for that large of a CRT. If I run 1280x1024@85Hz I get wavy interference lines scrolling on the monitor.

The very same VGA cable will work with my PC at 1600x1200 with no problems so I don't suspect the cable. Is this coming from the little Apple adapter that the VGA cable terminates on, or is this a limitation of my PowerBook?

Anyone else do this successfully? Thanks!

B

ibook_steve
Jan 13, 2005, 03:32 PM

Have you tried the PC with the monitor at that resolution and refresh rate? You mention a higher resolution, but just because the higher resolution has no problems doesn't mean that the display can function correctly at the resolution where you see the lines. Match the resolution and refresh rate between the two machines to see if you have the same affect. Chances are this is a monitor limitation rather than the Powerbook.

Steve

brentsg  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2005, 01:11 AM

Yep, I run the PC at 1280x1024 @ 85Hz and it is absolutely stunning. Ditto for 1600x1200 but I prefer the other.

But the PowerBook can't do it without the problems. Same cable, except the adapter cable.

It's one of the best CRTs you can buy.

B

Forum Links
Forum Rules