Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why are so few females interested in computers?

Why are so few females interested in computers? (Page 2)
itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2005, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by Oneota:
I just gave you a whole list of 'em a few posts ago! There've been quite a few. Not many who achieved the same level of fame as Beethoven or Mozart or Robert Schumann, true, but history is replete with talented female composers.
Sorry didn't see that. Just looked over them, and I don't know a single one there (do you know any of those??). It's easy to make a long list of exceptions, but what about percentages?
Source: http://www.moviesbywomen.com/stats2003.html

More than one out of five films released in 2002 employed no women directors, executive producers, producers, writers, cinematographers, or editors.

The percentage of women inhabiting the above stated roles dropped two percentage points in the last year, from 19% in 2001 to 17% in 2002. Men continued to direct more than 9 out of 10 films and women comprised only 1% of all cinematographers on the films considered.
I don't even need these numbers to prove my point. Open your eyes and look around. There are very few of them! Are telling me that if one was to count up all composers, women would hold at least 50%? Even 10%?

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2005, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by itistoday:
Why am I so angry? Because I don't like that I have plenty of male friends that I can have active conversations about my interests, but so few females.
Learn what a fetlock is. Learn about fashion (careful: if you're not gay you want to be approaching this from a very specific angle).
As the following image implies; men are digital, women are analogue. Get some analogue interests.

If it doesn't scare hippies, it's not worth listening to

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2005, 01:07 AM

I'm not denying that there are many talented and creative women. I'm just saying that they are few and wide between. It doesn't matter if you know Sally Sue who makes music on the Kazoo. The vast majority of women do not *create* things. There are many female singers, but how many female composers?
You're wrong and beginning to sound quite ignorant.

*edit* Perhaps that's harsh, but there have been tons of creative women throughout history and there are many in the world to this day. If you fail to realize this, you'll go through life with your head in the sand.

*double edit* Have you also considered some of the social reasons why there have been less famous creative women throughout history? And note that I said famous.
( Last edited by Jim Paradise; Feb 21, 2005 at 01:15 AM. )

itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2005, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by Jim Paradise:
You're wrong and beginning to sound quite ignorant.

*edit* Perhaps that's harsh, but there have been tons of creative women throughout history and there are many in the world to this day. If you fail to realize this, you'll go through life with your head in the sand.

*double edit* Have you also considered some of the social reasons why there have been less famous women throughout history? And note that I said famous.
What social reasons? You mean to say that men did not think highly of women back in the day? What does that have to do with anything? If some woman made a masterpiece orchestral composition, don't you think it would have been found today, in a time when men and women are thought of on equal grounds, and everyone would know it?

Maybe this is simply a cultural difference. We do, after all, live in separate countries. Don't say that I'm wrong, because these are observations that I'm making based on the area in which I live, the history I've read, the forums I've visited, and the people I've met online. Personally, I know of only 2 female software developers. One is a debugger and is a friend of my parents, and the other I don't even know her name, and is a lesbian. On the other hand, I know well over 20 male developers.

But perhaps this could be cultural differences based on where we live. For example, my cousin, who lived a large part of his life in Russia, tells me that there he knew many interesting women, and that he knows few here who are like the ones he knew in Russia. Perhaps it is a similar situation for you, after all, Canada is quite different from the United States culturally (especially Florida).

Edit: I remember reading a Slashdot story about a woman in Europe who wrote a virus just to show that women too could do that.

Edit 2: And according to this thread, only about 10% of the visitors to the lounge here are female.
( Last edited by itistoday; Feb 21, 2005 at 01:30 AM. )

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2005, 01:25 AM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Learn what a fetlock is. Learn about fashion (careful: if you're not gay you want to be approaching this from a very specific angle).
As the following image implies; men are digital, women are analogue. Get some analogue interests.

I thought this was a representation of male and female sex drive...

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2005, 01:40 AM

What social reasons? You mean to say that men did not think highly of women back in the day? What does that have to do with anything? If some woman made a masterpiece orchestral composition, don't you think it would have been found today, in a time when men and women are thought of on equal grounds, and everyone would know it?

Maybe this is simply a cultural difference. We do, after all, live in separate countries. Don't say that I'm wrong, because these are observations that I'm making based on the area in which I live, the history I've read, the forums I've visited, and the people I've met online. Personally, I know of only 2 female software developers. One is a debugger and is a friend of my parents, and the other I don't even know her name, and is a lesbian. On the other hand, I know well over 20 male developers.

But perhaps this could be cultural differences based on where we live. For example, my cousin, who lived a large part of his life in Russia, tells me that there he knew many interesting women, and that he knows few here who are like the ones he knew in Russia. Perhaps it is a similar situation for you, after all, Canada is quite different from the United States culturally (especially Florida).

Edit: I remember reading a Slashdot story about a woman in Europe who wrote a virus just to show that women too could do that.

Edit 2: And according to this thread, only about 10% of the visitors to the lounge here are female.
Perhaps that was unfair of me as you are going off your own personal experiences, but the more literature, film, music, and art that you are exposed to, the more creative females you'll encounter.

Your cousin's Russian example reminds me of someone in a political science class of mine that was asking our teacher about women in politics. I mentioned that if he was really interested that he should look at Catherine the Great of Russia, Marie Theresia of Austria, or even the likes of Margaret Thatcher or Condoleeza Rice as women who navigated and played politics on the same levels as any male ever has.

But my point was that he was trying to make a point based on some of his misconceptions that have been from his own experiences that history provides counter examples to. So far you've gone from women and computers to questions about women and creativity. All I can say is that the world offers a multitude of examples of creative women for you to choose from. Perhaps a change of location when you're older from Florida to elsehwhere might be good for ya.

*edit* An no, just because a woman could do something creatively amazing does not mean it was always recognized. But there are plenty of examples contrary to that, too.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2005, 01:52 AM

Originally posted by TailsToo:
I thought this was a representation of male and female sex drive...
Yep, but it's also a representation of their minds.

Think about it. Why do guys prefer artistic endeavours which are generally precise (i.e. Photoshop, music), while the gals favour jumping into their dungarees and getting covered in paint/glue/sparkle dust? Digital vs analogue.

Guys go for the result (digital), gals go for the fun of doing it (analogue).

itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2005, 01:59 AM

Perhaps that was unfair of me as you are going off your own personal experiences, but the more literature, film, music, and art that you are exposed to, the more creative females you'll encounter.

Your cousin's Russian example reminds me of someone in a political science class of mine that was asking our teacher about women in politics. I mentioned that if he was really interested that he should look at Catherine the Great of Russia, Marie Theresia of Austria, or even the likes of Margaret Thatcher or Condoleeza Rice as women who navigated and played politics on the same levels as any male ever has.

But my point was that he was trying to make a point based on some of his misconceptions that have been from his own experiences that history provides counter examples to. So far you've gone from women and computers to questions about women and creativity. All I can say is that the world offers a multitude of examples of creative women for you to choose from. Perhaps a change of location when you're older from Florida to elsehwhere might be good for ya.

*edit* An no, just because a woman could do something creatively amazing does not mean it was always recognized. But there are plenty of examples contrary to that, too.
Heh, yes, I really want to get outta here (especially after living in California for a while). And after the elections, I've been seriously considering Canada

But I still think my argument stands. Sure you can name Condoleeza Rice, Catherine the Great, etc. But count up all the male politicians and your female population starts to look small in comparison. However, politicians are a completely different "class" of people than the one I'm referring to (the creative class). You can't deny these statistics. You can't deny these graphs:

and

Source: http://www.dol.gov/wb/factsheets/hitech02.htm

Or this:

Source: http://www.sacbee.com/static/archive...en/wcmain.html

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2005, 02:06 AM

See? Computer science is digital (there's no bend - it's an exact science); Medical, dental and law are analogue (one bends according to the case).

itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2005, 02:07 AM

See? Computer science is digital (there's no bend - it's an exact science); Medical, dental and law are analogue (one bends according to the case).
Yes, the question is why...

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2005, 02:10 AM

Heh, yes, I really want to get outta here (especially after living in California for a while). And after the elections, I've been seriously considering Canada

But I still think my argument stands. Sure you can name Condoleeza Rice, Catherine the Great, etc. But count up all the male politicians and your female population starts to look small in comparison. However, politicians are a completely different "class" of people than the one I'm referring to (the creative class). You can't deny these statistics. You can't deny these graphs:

and

Source: http://www.dol.gov/wb/factsheets/hitech02.htm

Or this:

Source: http://www.sacbee.com/static/archive...en/wcmain.html
My point wasn't to say that politics isn't dominated by men.

But what's your point? That men are more creative, politically-minded, technologically-minded, etc.? Or are you still curious about why girls aren't as into computers. On that last point, all I can suggest is it is perhaps where you are or just shitty luck.

itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2005, 02:13 AM

My point wasn't to say that politics isn't dominated by men.

But what's your point? That men are more creative, politically-minded, technologically-minded, etc.? Or are you still curious about why girls aren't as into computers. On that last point, all I can suggest is it is perhaps where you are or just shitty luck.
On the point related to computers, I think it's clear with these statistics that what I'm experiencing is normal, and it's just you over there in Canada with the good luck. And yes, I'm also saying, that so far, according to all the data I've seen, it seems like men are generally more creatively-inclined for some reason.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2005, 02:17 AM

On the point related to computers, I think it's clear with these statistics that what I'm experiencing is normal, and it's just you over there in Canada with the good luck. And yes, I'm also saying, that so far, according to all the data I've seen, it seems like men are generally more creative for some reason.
Data means nothing when there are tons of creative people unacounted for in every corner of society. I'm sure I don't fall into any published data bout creative people, but that doesn't mean I'm not one.

Again, you've just got shitty luck in who you know.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2005, 02:17 AM

Yes, the question is why...
Ying / Yang.

itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2005, 02:18 AM

Data means nothing when there are tons of creative people unacounted for in every corner of society. I'm sure I don't fall into any published data bout creative people, but that doesn't mean I'm not one.

Again, you've just got shitty luck in who you know.
Have you not taken statistics? One does not need to take a sample the size of the entire population to make accurate statements about the population.

Edit: I'm off to bed, your argument�that i just have bad luck�is clearly wrong as shown by countless statistics.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2005, 02:25 AM

Have you not taken statistics? One does not need to take a sample the size of the entire population to make accurate statements about the population.
Statistics be damned. They don't show creative individuals painting, writing, dreaming somewhere in their house without an audience. I'll leave this at you've got poor luck to not know creative women in high school. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've lady friends with PhD's in science, women who are persuing degrees in engineering, those who constantly create in a variety of artistic ways, and who defy all your statistics and notions.

I'd suggest a few courses in women's studies if you get to university.

*edit* But I'm bowing out of this discussion since my life's examples run completely counter to yours in regards to creative women and women who enjoy computers, and thus I will not be able to give you an answer you're seeking as I don't have one that will suit your paradigm.
( Last edited by Jim Paradise; Feb 21, 2005 at 02:39 AM. )

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2005, 05:07 AM

Originally posted by Oneota:
Not many who achieved the same level of fame as Beethoven or Mozart or Robert Schumann, true, but history is replete with talented female composers. [/B]
Could musical fame have something to do with musical output?
I think so, but why?
Women with true composition ability were limited by socital constraints. A true devoation to compostion could not be achived or in some cases was and creative outout still fell short. Not sure which, could be both.

back to women amd computers:
Men seem to be interested with stuff that serves the greater good (advancement of something) while women prioritize emotion( theirs and other) over other things. This is extremely general.

if you want to get technical... It's all biological.
( Last edited by CollinG3G4; Feb 21, 2005 at 05:18 AM. )

OpenStep
Senior User
Feb 21, 2005, 11:18 AM

HACK TEH GIBSON

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2005, 11:52 AM

It is important to watch what you say. You could end up like Lawrence Summers, President of Harvard. Now spends most of his time apologizing for his remarks.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2005, 12:22 PM

Dude, shut up, don't give them ideas. Not until someone invents iWashUp or iCook or something.
terrible!
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

WoD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2005, 12:36 PM

My girlfriend is an IT Technician and is taking an Open University computer/design course - yet she can not sit in front of a computer like I do for hours on end fiddling with arbitrary things, trying alternate operating systems, programming, designing and doing all manner of computer related jiggery pokery. I am sure there must be some girls who DO all of this stuff, but I have yet to meet one.

Girls, and the less intelligent of the younger generation (IE: Most of them) seem to use computers to proliferate their special brand of stupidity on a global scale, swearing at each other, butchering the english language, making godawful geocities websites dedicated to their thongs and using criminally moronic services like Faceparty and Yahoo Chat. Perhaps blokes are driven by our competative instincts to become the best CS player, the best Haxor and the owner of the best PC - unfortunately our instincts do not know how little these things mean to womankind, whoops!

It just seems to be a biological fact that us blokes are into gadgets and technology, we CREATED gadgets and technology - not being in to them would be squeezing out a steamer onto the achievements of MANkind. We are, and always will be, gadget nuts - it is an evolutionary trait and a perversion of the intrinsic instincts of men - to reproduce, to impress, and to sit on our arses doing as little as possible.

Rampant Desire
Feb 21, 2005, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by demograph68:
LOL. Would be my ideal girl, except she kinda scares me.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2005, 04:12 PM

My iTunes collection also speaks for itself. The vast majority of the bands that I have, have music that was created by males (and I have a very wide range of musical tastes, from rap to rock to classical to jazz to techno to oldies).
Gee, I have sh*tloads of music written and performed by women. Stuff that ranges from Carole King to Joanna Newsom, not to mention Patti Smith, PJ Harvey, Lucinda Williams, L7, Cat Power, the Raincoats, Siouxsie Sioux, the Roches, Kate Bush, Marianne Faithful, etc, etc.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2005, 08:43 PM

"you gotta real pretty mouth."

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2005, 09:03 PM

zero cool is teh 1337.

i havent read a single post or reply in this thread, only noticed that pic.

letsee. right off the top of my head i know 5 chicks who are into macs. all of them are proficient in photoshop and can design a website in a text editor.

theyre out there.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2005, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
i havent read a single post or reply in this thread, only noticed that pic.
A man who has his priorities straight!
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Veronica
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2005, 11:32 PM

Dude, shut up, don't give them ideas. Not until someone invents iWashUp or iCook or something.
Oh okay, I have to admit that I got really provoked. Damn...

I love editing and making music. (And really enjoy browsing Macnn Forums as well )

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2005, 11:33 PM

I think Mr. Today might be observing that among the people he knows in school, there are very few girls who have a sense of initiative and want to extend effort towards a goal, be it technology, creative efforts, or anything that involves more brainpower than finding out who Brad Affleck is banging at the moment. I think that says more about his school than about the gender as a whole. (Or maybe not -- maybe his school is a microcosm of America. It's been too long since I was a teenager.)

Why are there less women in the technical fields in college? I think it has something to do with the fact that girls are not normally encouraged to go into technical fields when they are younger -- they are encouraged along different career paths, like teaching. Chances are that unless a girl with potential has a specific role model that she can learn from, she simply won't be exposed to those concepts or be encouraged to pursue them as much as a boy will be. (I'm still not buying the argument that girls don't get into creative things, so I'll ignore it for now. )

Now, the flip side of that phenomenon is that for the girls who do decide to go into technical fields, it's taken some amount of effort and initiative on their part just to make that decision. So, they tend to not slack off as much, and achieve more. And the ones who do end up over their heads are more likely to switch majors than their male counterparts. Although there were fewer girls majoring in Comp Sci and Engineering at my college, they tended to be a lot more serious about it. And in the working world, it's been my experience that the average woman in an engineering field is usually better than the average man, if for no other reason that a below-average male engineering student might stick it out and graduate with a D (and then proceed to make their co-workers lives a living hell), while a below-average female engineering student is more likely to end up graduating with a Sociology degree.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2005, 11:44 PM

I know plenty of girls who know computers and tech.

They are graphic designers.

It's just a matter of "why" they would want to use one.

I do want to add that in my experience, GIRLS CANNOT TROUBLESHOOT FOR SHYT. I realize this is not always the case but even a smart computer girl will not know how to diagnose her own problems.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2005, 12:35 AM

Got crack?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

voyageur
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2005, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by dreilly1:
I think Mr. Today might be observing that among the people he knows in school, there are very few girls who have a sense of initiative and want to extend effort towards a goal, be it technology, creative efforts, or anything that involves more brainpower than finding out who Brad Affleck is banging at the moment. I think that says more about his school than about the gender as a whole. (Or maybe not -- maybe his school is a microcosm of America. It's been too long since I was a teenager.)

Why are there less women in the technical fields in college? I think it has something to do with the fact that girls are not normally encouraged to go into technical fields when they are younger -- they are encouraged along different career paths, like teaching. Chances are that unless a girl with potential has a specific role model that she can learn from, she simply won't be exposed to those concepts or be encouraged to pursue them as much as a boy will be. (I'm still not buying the argument that girls don't get into creative things, so I'll ignore it for now. )
As a female who's "into computers", I agree with this assessment. Here's my experience to back this up. Back in the stone age when I went to high school, girls who were into technical fields were not the girls who got dates or who were cool. It took guts to be in science as a girl. The girls who did had parents who were progressive and supportive. I remember when my physics teacher noticed the unusual way I did my calculations on paper (this was before everyone had calculators). He thought it looked too time-consuming. To prove it, he held a calculating contest between me and one of the boys in the class. So my method won. I felt vindicated, but mortified; I hadn't asked to be singled out. I ended up going to a single-sex college where we didn't have to be embarrassed about being interested in science. In my present job, I work as a data analyst and computer support person (all Macs-yeah!)

Fast forward. My daughter is now a senior in high school. She is the only girl on the math team, and won an award for being the top science and math student in her class. She's not into computers, but loves math. She's been admitted to Harvard and is thinking of a math career (among others). She's in a fantastic high school where there are other girls like her, and so she has a support system among her friends and teachers, in addition to her parents. She's still somewhat embarrassed about her achievements, but not to the degree in my generation.

Progress.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2005, 10:14 AM

I love computers.

I worked at Microsoft for seven years. I started out with the team that developed Win95. I went to work there to pay for college and then stayed. In the end I worked for their marketing and public relations department. I took my stock and left very happy and used the $$$ to buy Macs.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2005, 12:36 PM

Do women enjoy (or are they even aware) that in the geek culture they are known collectively as "females"?

Maybe its just me, but the term females just seems a bit sterile or disconnected. Which I guess sort of describes the culture in a nutshell.

Why do female carbon-based life forms think I'm a nerd?

Mulattabianca
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2005, 05:58 PM

now thats funny. i'd estimate the people i work with ... very much in IT, are depending pn the department, 10 - 90 % female. so average maybe 40%, and even in hardcore engineering id say at least 10%.

i'm pretty amazed my bf is as interested in computers than i am.
::1 ::2 ::3 ::

sworthy
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2005, 06:28 PM

I think it's unfair to say, "look at history, women haven't done anything".

You're somewhat right, but it's mostly because of societal women's roles. Women were pretty much just pumping out and taking care of babies for the last few thousand years, and didn't exactly have much free time. Women have only been a full part of society for less than 100 years. History doesn't explain this at all.

It is fair to say that less girls seem to be interested in computers and technology in general... I can't say why though.

hart
Senior User
Feb 22, 2005, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by CollinG3G4:
back to women amd computers:
Men seem to be interested with stuff that serves the greater good (advancement of something) while women prioritize emotion( theirs and other) over other things. This is extremely general.

if you want to get technical... It's all biological.
OMG, I can't believe I'm even reading this stuff. Where have you all been the last forty years? Half of you weren't even born of course and the rest seem to have their heads up their butts.

I am sorry, this is CRAAPP!!

I don't usually bother to get drawn into this kind of thing plus I prefer to retain my feminine anonymity (for good reason evidently) but OMG!!

For those of you who don't remember/know about anything prior to about 1980, FYI up to the last century, women couldn't even BE artist/composers/doctors etc etc etc. It wasn't ALLOWED!! They had to do what their daddy/husband told them to do and having a career wasn't one of those things. Choosing to go sit around and write symphonies wasn't an option. This is not to mention vote or own property or any of the other things which we take for granted today.

As for today and computers A) who would want to spend their lives/professional careers with a bunch of idiots who judged one as you are judging women? Not me, and I ought to know. That's why it took me 20 years after high school to even GET a computer. and B) just cause they're not hanging out in your basement playing computer games with you doesn't mean they're not out there and C) if you think there's no continuing cultural bias making it harder for women to get on in the sciences just read this thread or a few articles about the recent upheaval with Harvard's president. Or disguise yourself as a woman and go shopping in a computer store or GameStop and see how they treat you. Last time I went there the guy came over to tell me that the game controller I was looking at wasn't really for the kind of game I would be playing. What, because I'm a woman I was automatically going to be playing Barbie's Shopping Mystery?! Give me a break!!

Women like to create with glitter and not do real creative stuff....I can't believe I'm reading this.

Women only care about emotions and not the greater good....!! I don't even know how to respond.

Excuse me, Patrick, your ignorance is showing.

I'm sorry to dissapoint everyone who's going to jump all over me (and correct my spelling and grammar no doubt) but I can't take this thread no more. I'm going to go do my Web Development homework and go play Halo with my 6 year old son so 10 years from now he knows better than you lot.

here's what my sister, the author and novelist, (no creativity there, surely) has to say

MacNewsNerd: ...duh, why don't women like to do computers with me...duh...

sister: because you're a clueless git, is why

thank you for your time

</rant>

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2005, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by hart:
Women like to create with glitter and not do real creative stuff....I can't believe I'm reading this.
As I believe this was directed at a comment I made, I'll answer.
You'll note in the comment I made I didn't say anything like "real creative stuff". I know plenty of females in the creative world, all with arts degrees (etc.). They create real art but they tend to do it via getting their hands dirty - like I said, jumping into their dungarees and going at it with the paint/glue/glitter.

Remember, this thread is about computers, not creativity. I was simply observing the fact that women tend to realise that works of art can be created without using PhotoShop. Women don't centralise their lives around the computer like guys do.

If you're read my original comments as "not real creative stuff" then you're reading something into my post which wasn't there - which is an indicator of problematic logic solving capabilities in your brain... ...which may be another reason why a lot of women aren't drawn to computers and prefer their creativity to be in "the real world".

itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2005, 08:01 PM

Hey, many of you had very insightful points to make. I should have realized how poorly women were treated up until recently, and how society had conditioned them. Sure I read it in history books, but my generation hasn't actually experienced this. Today women are truly given the same opportunities as men (at least in enlightened countries), but perhaps it will take some time for that part of society to get rid of old pressures. Veronica, voyageur, Cody Dawg, hart: you guys�rather gals�rock! We need more women like you! Hopefully things will change in the future, but I hope you can also understand why I started this thread: the disparity between men and women today in the creative and scientific fields is evident, it is not perfectly split down the middle as it should be.

kalcim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2005, 03:04 AM

I think it is at least partly because of social expectations.

I think this because I go to an all girls high school, so a lot of these expectations aren't there. You will never be the only girl in your IT class, and bright students aren't odd for beating the guys at maths. Probably the largest student group we have is the Tech Angels.

To contrast this with my co-ed primary school, there were sometimes literally no girls in the tech lego options, and no boys in creative writing. There were girls who wanted to do tech lego and boys who wanted to do creative writing, but you would have been the only one. These fun activities aren't so fun anymore when you have no one to sit next to and people whisper about you (yes I speak from experience).

If anyone thinks girls and young women today are totally able to pursue tech interests without judgment or peer ridicule, my experiences would disagree. It is one of the reasons I am so in favour of single sex schools (though there are a lot of others).

JustAnOl'Broad
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2005, 04:49 AM

Yes, I saved up my very first post for right now.

Have been "lurking" (learning) on here since before MWSF.
(Please don't start correcting my grammar and punctuation.)

Think this thread started as an observation; mainly why
there are so few females interested in computers.

My thought is that they don't know where to start to "get into"
computers. My female friends don't know where to begin to
buy a system -let alone hook it up or load software.

I have male co-workers who come to me for advice on how to
get their pc's back up and running.....my usual response is
"buy a Mac".

I don't work in any tech capacity nowadays, but did field service
work for Xerox and American Totalisator back in the 70's when
it made heads turn to have a female walk into their office to fix
something.
I have alot of female friends with computers, (ages 20 -70+)
mostly they play games and surf and check email.
Perhaps a dozen women I know use PS, or at least some form
of photo software. Several are adept at Word, etc.
None of them are into the Mac programs I'm playing with these
days; but neither are the males I know.

So, I resort to hanging out in Mac user forums, and gleening useful
tidbits from you folks.

PS: I'm kinda glad I found this site; all kinds of great stuff......
except that one about the fat kid lipsyncing to that Romanian song
you made me download that from iTunes.....now, it's really stuck in my
head. LOL.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2005, 09:05 AM

This is a rather amusing thread.

I am, ahem, a M$ retiree and the best job I've ever had was at Microsoft. In 1997 when Mac BU was formed I was offered a great job back at M$. I was in Florida by then and didn't want to go back to work up in the Northwest (though I do still have a home there). The point is that I I LOVE technology - ALL technology. It doesn't matter if it's software, cameras, printers, computers, even a refrigerator with a television built into the door turns me on.

That's one of the reasons that a LOT of people at M$ love - LOVE - Mac OS and Macs in general. Apple has never been static and is always innovating.

JustAnOl'Broad
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2005, 03:04 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
[B]This is a rather amusing thread.
best job I've ever had was at Microsoft.

My best was at Xerox. It was exciting to see all the new products come out.
I was in the first class they had on color copiers.
I'd have probably stayed with that Company along time - but my dad
started having health problems and I left to take over his business.

>The point is that I I LOVE technology - ALL technology. It doesn't matter if it's software, >cameras, printers, computers, even a refrigerator with a television built into the door >turns me on.
Totally agree!
I remember when the ZX-81 (?) kits came out; what a blast to build a little
gadget with all the parts. Think it was basically an adress book.
My biggest problem these days is that all the tech stuff I'd love to own is
a bit beyond my buying power.

My point was simply that most women I'm around don't know much about
computers; they'll never own more than an entry model of any type. (goes for
the men I know too)
The College and High school age kids are another story; present company
being the more knowledgeable of the lot.

P~

charon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2005, 10:35 PM

There is a very simple answer. I havent read all these posts so I might be repeating something. But back a hundred years ago, women weren't allowed to do anything. They were forced by their dominant male figures to bake pies and ****. They weren't given the right to VOTE until 1920!! NINETEEN TWENTY!!. They have been told what to do and it will take some time before woman can compete with men in creative fields.

edit: stupid curse word blocking. **** != fsck

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 10:54 PM

What about lesbians?

itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by charon:
There is a very simple answer. I havent read all these posts so I might be repeating something. But back a hundred years ago, women weren't allowed to do anything. They were forced by their dominant male figures to bake pies and ****. They weren't given the right to VOTE until 1920!! NINETEEN TWENTY!!. They have been told what to do and it will take some time before woman can compete with men in creative fields.

edit: stupid curse word blocking. **** != fsck
If that did say fuck it couldn't be too far from the truth

JustAnOl'Broad
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2005, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
What about lesbians?
They also gained the right to vote in 1920.

P~

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2005, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by charon:
They (women) have been told what to do and it will take some time before woman can compete with men in creative fields.
Again, the OP's question isn't about "creativity" - it's about computers.

charon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2005, 05:25 PM

Nooo... I believe he is asking about creative fields using the computer. Like creating movies, directing, programming etc. I can quote him if you want, but I'm too lazy

itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2005, 05:28 PM

Later on the discussion broadened to the creative and scientific fields in general.

macmad
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2005, 06:07 PM

Why are so few females interested in computers?

Because they have breasts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules