Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Blue LED Mac-ish Speakers

Blue LED Mac-ish Speakers
Captain Egotist
Banned
Feb 16, 2005, 03:47 AM

http://www.xoxide.com/logisys-blue-a...-speakers.html

Stumbled onto that last night, and they look VERY VERY much like an iSub with some apple pro speakers.... except they light up. Kinda neat I guess.

- Rob

WoD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2005, 08:28 AM

Looks like the sub from the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks II, and a couple of regular apple pro speakers with LEDs attached.

I think I prefer the solid-white Creature II speakers to match my mini, if I am moving away from my PC, I want to move away from things that glow blue.

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Feb 19, 2005, 01:30 PM

this has _nothing_ to do with mac modding.

moved.
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

Captain Egotist  (op)
Banned
Feb 20, 2005, 12:29 PM

Yes actually it does. Case mods usually involve blue LEDs and making your computer look as crazy as it is fast. These speakers definitely look crazy, hence why I posted the in the mod section.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 20, 2005, 03:06 PM

I concur that it has NOTHING to do with modding. Modding means modifying. Unless you're modifying a piece of computer hardware, it doesn't belong in the modding forum.

tooki

Captain Egotist  (op)
Banned
Feb 21, 2005, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
I concur that it has NOTHING to do with modding. Modding means modifying. Unless you're modifying a piece of computer hardware, it doesn't belong in the modding forum.

tooki
Considering they're being sold at a ****ing website that deals specifically with case modding, I think you guys are both wrong.

They're speakers that light up, to match your modded computer. HELLO MCFLY.

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2005, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by Captain Egotist:
Considering they're being sold at a ****ing website that deals specifically with case modding, I think you guys are both wrong.

Or to match your modded 4cyl honda civic that has CHROME TRIM and UNDERGLOW!!!
Aloha

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 21, 2005, 05:48 PM

Are you modifying a Mac (or even a Mac peripheral)? No? Then you had it in the wrong forum.

tooki

echosphere
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2005, 05:51 PM

Yeah baby, I love suped up RiceMobiles!

Btw, I think they look kinda cool. I would consider that a Mod.
I'm from the government and I'm here to help

Captain Egotist  (op)
Banned
Feb 21, 2005, 06:29 PM

Are you modifying a Mac (or even a Mac peripheral)? No? Then you had it in the wrong forum.

tooki
YOU ARE WRONG, and here's why.

Lets say I open up my powermac, remove the plain boring fans, and install some blue LED case fans.

Is that a mod?

YES.

Now let's say I unplug my apple pro speakers, and install these blue LED speakers.

Is that a mod?

YES.

I'm reposting it back in the mods forum. You guys are wrong, PERIOD. The blue LED speakers= mod, and they're sold on a website that's only business is case modding.

Suck it up.

- Rob

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2005, 08:09 PM

Dude, what is wrong with you?
If you repost it, you're probably just going to get your ass banned.

And I fully agree with the moderators, this is quite obviously not a mod. (It is, of course, quite obviously a peripheral)

Hey, if I get a new mouse for my eMac, is that modding it?
Of course it's not. I haven't modified anything. I've attached a mouse to my computer, which was it's intended function. And the same goes for the speakers.

And I'm sorry, an item being sold at a site that mainly sells computer mod items does not make it a computer mod. I can buy a Scrabble kit at Barnes & Noble, but that doesn't make it a book.

And finally, what the hell does it matter? The peripherals forum gets more readership than the mods forum, and if people want to look for speakers, they come to the peripheral forum.

In a word:
chill.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 21, 2005, 08:53 PM

Rob, you are the last person on earth to have the right to tell others to "learn from their mistakes".

Your thread is gone, and one more peep out of you regarding this, and you're gone, too.

You posted in the wrong forum because of your convoluted logic, and when we corrected it, you said we were wrong. You can complain, but eventually you have to drop it. And around here, we're the ones with the Delete and Ban buttons, not you, so do it our way or no way at all.

tooki

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 21, 2005, 08:56 PM

Now let's say I unplug my apple pro speakers, and install these blue LED speakers.

Is that a mod?

YES.

I'm reposting it back in the mods forum. You guys are wrong, PERIOD. The blue LED speakers= mod, and they're sold on a website that's only business is case modding.
No! Swapping an internal component like fan is decidedly a mod. Swapping out speakers (which doesn't even require opening the case!) in no way MODifies the Mac!

If you took Pro Speakers and put blue LEDs in them yourself, that'd be a mod, but this is ridiculous!

tooki

Captain Egotist  (op)
Banned
Feb 21, 2005, 10:45 PM

Rob, you are the last person on earth to have the right to tell others to "learn from their mistakes".

Your thread is gone, and one more peep out of you regarding this, and you're gone, too.

You posted in the wrong forum because of your convoluted logic, and when we corrected it, you said we were wrong. You can complain, but eventually you have to drop it. And around here, we're the ones with the Delete and Ban buttons, not you, so do it our way or no way at all.

tooki

You are threatening me....... to ban my account.....

Does anyone else see the irony?

- Ca$h

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2005, 11:40 PM

Pre-modded peripherals don't count. Posting a picture of apple pro speakers that you put blue LEDs = Mod. Posting a picture of speakers that have LEDS != mod, posting a picture of a USB cable you wired an LED into = mod, posting a picture of a USB cable that has a blue LED in the boot != mod.

You get the idea, now if you stuck pre modded stuff in your powermac, that'd be a mod.
Aloha

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2005, 12:00 AM

You are threatening me....... to ban my account.....

Does anyone else see the irony?

- Ca$h

....No.

Captain Egotist  (op)
Banned
Feb 22, 2005, 02:31 AM

Originally posted by anamexis:
....No.
I've been banned well over 100 times on these forums. It really isn't much of a threat.

Anyway, I'll keep that in mind next time I see a blue LED casefan... it isn't a mod.

>rolls eyes, god some people are ****ing stupid<

WoD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2005, 08:36 AM

Wow, some people really have nothing better to do. Like me:

First dictionary.com definition of mod:
"An unconventionally modern style of fashionable dress originating in England in the 1960s."

I win.

Apple.com have the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks II speakers featured in a photo of an AppleStore, not much of a "mod" now, is it?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 22, 2005, 11:21 AM

I've been banned well over 100 times on these forums.
Yup, some people have trouble taking hints...

:sigh:

tooki

Captain Egotist  (op)
Banned
Feb 22, 2005, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by WoD:
Apple.com have the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks II speakers featured in a photo of an AppleStore, not much of a "mod" now, is it?
No, because they are stock.

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2005, 06:55 PM

No, because they are stock.
Yes, so are those blue LED speakers.

Captain Egotist  (op)
Banned
Feb 22, 2005, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by anamexis:
Yes, so are those blue LED speakers.
So they came directly from apple? Or are these speakers REPLACEMENTS and thus DEVIATING from a stock apple product?

You lose.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 22, 2005, 10:13 PM

Those speakers came from the factory with blue LEDs, so they're not modded.

Replacing an external peripheral does not in any way constitute a mod.

tooki

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2005, 11:31 PM

Precisely. You cannot possibly say that anything "deviating from a stock apple product" is a mod. If that were the case, there would be no peripherals forum, only mods, and furthermore, plugging in a new mouse (which is, after all, a replacement product deviating from Apple stock) would be considered a mod, which I'm sure anyone would agree it is obviously not.

echosphere
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2005, 12:30 AM

Tooki, you are getting out of control.
I'm from the government and I'm here to help

Captain Egotist  (op)
Banned
Feb 23, 2005, 03:09 AM

If I had a gaming PC or a gaming mac, with blue LED fans and blue LED tubes, and I had a blue LED mouse... I'd list it as a mod. Why?

Do people actually modify the ****ing blue led fans?

NO

They buy them, open their computer (no screws), and use a ****ing screwdriver to unscrew FOUR god damn screws. Just four. They are not MODIFYING anything according to your viewpoint, they are merely replacing a factory unit with diffferent one. No soldering, no thinking, just unscrew and reinstall.

Yet, you consider that a mod, right?

God... I really cannot ****ing fathom how stupid some people are.

If I open up my computer and spend 5 minutes to put in a new fan.. THAT IS A MOD!!!!!! if I open up my cube and put some wallpaper between the case, THATS A MOD!!!!! If I spend 5 minutes to give my computer some bitchin speakers that light up... nope. nope. No mod.

You guys are total ****ing morons and I hope you all have your genitals maimed so you cannot reproduce.

- Ca$h

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2005, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by me:
and same to you buddy.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2005, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Link:
Or to match your modded 4cyl honda civic that has CHROME TRIM and UNDERGLOW!!!
Funny that's what it reminded me of too. Speakers for the white trash set. Fitting.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Captain Egotist  (op)
Banned
Feb 23, 2005, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
Funny that's what it reminded me of too. Speakers for the white trash set. Fitting.
Ah he has blessed us with his presence! The might one hath spoketh! We must heed his words, for he is truly god's gift to the world!

That said, I never said I was going to buy them. I just saw them and they looked apple related so I posted them here. But of course if I did post them here, Captain Obvious would have obviously seen some much cooler and better sounding speakers, and probably cheaper too! I mean, what can't this guy do!

Captain Obvious for President!

Huzzaahhhh!!!!!!!

PS: My car has zero chrome or neon glow. It's 100% stock appearing.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 23, 2005, 04:09 PM

If I had a gaming PC or a gaming mac, with blue LED fans and blue LED tubes, and I had a blue LED mouse... I'd list it as a mod. Why?

NO

They buy them, open their computer (no screws), and use a ****ing screwdriver to unscrew FOUR god damn screws. Just four. They are not MODIFYING anything according to your viewpoint, they are merely replacing a factory unit with diffferent one. No soldering, no thinking, just unscrew and reinstall.

Yet, you consider that a mod, right?

God... I really cannot ****ing fathom how stupid some people are.
You guys are total ****ing morons and I hope you all have your genitals maimed so you cannot reproduce.

- Ca$h
A fan is a replacement PART, not a whole device. Jeez...

Replacing whole device (like a mouse, speaker set, etc): not mod.
Replacing a part of a device: mod.

Man, are you dense!

tooki

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2005, 06:03 PM

NO

OK, I'm going to say this slowly.

What do you do when you add a blue LED fan or a blue tube?

You OPEN the computer, and switch out components. You take the fan out of the slot designed solely for the apple stock fan, and replace it with a third-party fan.

What do you do when you add blue LED speakers to a computer?

You PLUG IN the speakers. To the speaker port. Which is designed to attach to third party speakers.

Captain Egotist  (op)
Banned
Feb 23, 2005, 06:13 PM

A fan is a replacement PART, not a whole device. Jeez...

Replacing whole device (like a mouse, speaker set, etc): not mod.
Replacing a part of a device: mod.

Man, are you dense!

tooki
My quicksilver has a built in speaker. If I replaced my current apple pro speakers with some different ones I'm only replacing part of the audio system. So it's a mod if you look at it that way, right?

- Ca$h

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 23, 2005, 07:25 PM

No, unless you remove the internal speaker and install a new speaker internally in its place, it's not a mod. Connecting an external peripheral to an external jack designed precisely for that purpose certainly isn't a mod. (Note that the internal speaker is disabled by software only, when the audio out jack is used.)

tooki

Captain Egotist  (op)
Banned
Feb 24, 2005, 12:55 AM

Connecting an external peripheral to an external jack designed precisely for that purpose certainly isn't a mod. (Note that the internal speaker is disabled by software only, when the audio out jack is used.)

tooki
Yet connecting a fan to a jack designed precisely for that purpose IS a mod?

This doesn't make any sense.

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2005, 12:55 AM

My quicksilver has a built in speaker. If I replaced my current apple pro speakers with some different ones I'm only replacing part of the audio system. So it's a mod if you look at it that way, right?

- Ca$h
You say your quicksilver has a built in speaker, but completely ignore that and talk about your Apple Pro Speakers.

Do you consider unplugging my Apple Pro Mouse and plugging in a Logitech mouse a mod?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 24, 2005, 02:29 AM

Yet connecting a fan to a jack designed precisely for that purpose IS a mod?

This doesn't make any sense.
A fan is a PART, not a peripheral. You have to unscrew, unplug things you weren't supposed to, and in some cases cut extra holes. Speakers using an external jack decidedly aren't a mod.

Anyway, this nonsense thread's gone on much too long.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules