Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > My Mini showed up today, story inside

My Mini showed up today, story inside
MDWeezer
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2005, 12:22 PM

First off, i'm not angry at ALL that my Mini showed up, it said it was showing up tomorrow so a day early is awesome, my "On or before date" for shipping was 3/4/05 so they were way ahead of the ball.

However last week I ordered Apple bluetooth keyboard from the online store with my student discount so I would have the keyboard before my BTO Mini showed up, that way I could plug in and be on my way!

Well Fedex refused to leave the Keyboard on my porch without signature!!! So they wouldn't leave a $50 keyboard BUT they left a $800 computer on my porch , both I used the same free shipping option.

I'm at school at the moment so I just gave my neighbor a call and they're going to go pick it up and bring it inside for me, i'll be home tomorrow to pick it up.

They made 3 delivery attempts with the keyboard and I think its being returned to Apple but they havn't contacted me yet. So who knows what'll happen with the keyboard, right now i'd rather just get refunded and drive the hour to the local apple store and pick up the computer first hand.

When I get the Mini i'm going to be snapping pictures like crazy for the photo thread.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 12:40 PM

its your job to contact them. Not vice versa. They're never going to call you. They're going to drop that keyboard off back at apple and you can deal with it from there. Good luck with that!

MDWeezer  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2005, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Ben:
its your job to contact them. Not vice versa. They're never going to call you. They're going to drop that keyboard off back at apple and you can deal with it from there. Good luck with that!
I'm not really concerned, I spoke with Apple the other night and they said they would simply refund if i wanted.

I'm just trying to understand the logic of leaving a computer on a porch versus a keyboard.

Oh wellllll

icibaqu
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2005, 01:14 PM

OFTEN TIMES FEDEX WILL KEEP THE ITEM IN THEIR OFFICE FOR A LITTLE BIT PENDING YOUR CALLING THEM. THEN YOU HAVE TO GO TO FEDEX AND PICK IT UP YOUSRLD.

OH..SORRY TO YELL...OOPS

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2005, 02:42 PM

Or how about just signing that little sticky note that Fedex leaves at the door, which tells them to leave the delivery at the door step ?

-t

IamBob
Senior User
Feb 24, 2005, 03:12 PM

Out here if nobody's home they open the door, set it on the table and sign for me. Seriously.

Get to know your delivery people. Make sure they know that they're more than welcome to make your place a pit-stop. Treat them to an open fridge - snacks are good. Chances are you could give 'em a key (if you lock) and never miss a package.

Maybe it's just me being a country boy...I dunno.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 03:32 PM

Did they leave a door tag? You can sign the release on that or call FedEx and tell them you want to be on the release list. Probably left the Mini because it's so small you would never figure it's a computer.
You should also be able to go to FedEx and pick it up if necessary.
1-800-Go-FedEx

MDWeezer  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2005, 08:08 PM

I had signed the little thing and they wouldn't leave it, they would just circle the "need signature"

So I called FedEx, they asked for the last 4 digits of the tracking number and they said "Ohhh a product from Apple I see, yeah we have a agreement with them and we can't leave a item without signature".

On the slip they kept leaving said they would only make 3 attempts then return it to Apple.

So I gave Apple a call and Apple said that was indeed the case but they changed it so the package would stay for 2 days for pickup. So I was just able to call and talk to someone and arrange for them to make a 4th attempt at delivering the bluetooth keyboard at a time when I would be home and they were gonna give it a shot.

So it looks like tomorrow i'll get my bluetooth keyboard after all! Just had to jump through a few hoops.

This also leads me to believe that my Mini was shipped via a different shipping option despite just taking the free shipping as I did with the keyboard, but the Mini's tracking # didn't end with those 4 numbers so who knows.

Ok, end of story, enough of this thread, i'll post many pictures tomorrow

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2005, 10:43 PM

You can sign a release with FedEx, and they will then leave packages at your door. The person at FedEx who told you that they have an agreement with Apple which precludes them from leaving packages, didn't know what they were talking about. I worked for Apple for two years, and got FedEx packages almost weekly, from Apple, left at my door. The first month or so I worked for them, I got tired of going to FedEx after I got home to pick up packages, so one day, when I was off, the driver gave me a form to sign, authorizing package drop offs, and I never had a problem after that. Some of my friends, who still work for Apple, get packages regularly left at their door, from Apple.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

MDWeezer  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2005, 03:19 AM

Originally posted by KarlG:
You can sign a release with FedEx, and they will then leave packages at your door. The person at FedEx who told you that they have an agreement with Apple which precludes them from leaving packages, didn't know what they were talking about. I worked for Apple for two years, and got FedEx packages almost weekly, from Apple, left at my door. The first month or so I worked for them, I got tired of going to FedEx after I got home to pick up packages, so one day, when I was off, the driver gave me a form to sign, authorizing package drop offs, and I never had a problem after that. Some of my friends, who still work for Apple, get packages regularly left at their door, from Apple.
I've done this many times as well but apparently any tracking number ending with 1647 may not be left without someone at the residence signing. This was both confirmed by FedEX when I talked to them at which I thought was total BS but then was told the exact same thing by a Apple rep when I immediately called them afterwards.

I had signed the slip and everything but the next day it was simply crossed out and the FedEX guy circled "Must have signature".

Apple told me 3 attempts would be made at which then the item would sit at the FedEX place for a couple days (they left a slip with a number to call to ask about it) and if nothing is done it would be returned and Apple would refund or ship to another address.

I arranged for FedEX to deliver it tomorrow after 11am at which I will be home.

Just relaying what I spent 45 minutes on the phone dealing with a couple nights ago But that is apparently the deal.

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2005, 05:17 AM

Originally posted by MDWeezer:
I've done this many times as well but apparently any tracking number ending with 1647 may not be left without someone at the residence signing. This was both confirmed by FedEX when I talked to them at which I thought was total BS but then was told the exact same thing by a Apple rep when I immediately called them afterwards.

My fedex person will leave most things at my door if i am not home bec he has a release on file and for most things it is at the driver's discretion. However, anything coming from dell, apple, cingular, even newegg is never left at the door. no exceptions.

WoD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2005, 05:20 AM

Sounds not unlike my own experiences with delivery services- I freaking hate them!

All I can say is that I am glad I do not have to worry about my mini, it is being delivered elsewhere - hopefully today. If it were delivered to my house the ensuing nightmare would have lead to several TNT head offices mysteriously collapsing in the dead of night.

I think the mini is shipped with a different carrier- on my tracking page the keyboard and mouse are with TNT, and the mini with somethingsomething otherer logistics and something. Or something to that effect, anyway. Suffice to say I have never heard of them.

skubish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2005, 07:59 AM

FedEx won't leave Apple products without signature as a matter of policy or agreement with Apple. Doesn't matter if you sign the release or not. Some drivers may leave it but that is not FedEx policy. Apple pissed me off one time because they shipped my Shuffle by FedEx Ground. FedEx Ground has a different office than regularly FedEx and closes before I get home from work.

WoD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2005, 02:25 PM

I speak too f**king soon, it seems!

TNT sent what must have been a TEN TONNE lorry to deliver my friends, brothers IPod dock. It arrived safely.

Later, a small TNT van got HOPELESSLY LOST with my Mac mini, wireless keyboard and wireless mouse... which were ultimately returned to the depot... IN F*****G STANSTEAD 140 MILES AWAY!

Now I am going to have to wait until monday for my mini, my saturday evening will be dull to say the least- oh well, monday is when my birthday actually is, so I guess it makes sense in some twisted way.

DEATH TO DELIVERY SERVICES!

iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Feb 26, 2005, 03:38 PM

This is why I prefer the good ole boys in brown. Same delivery guy, same company, unlike Fed EX. Apple gave free shipping, but then I told them I wanted UPS to deliver and they charged like 5 bucks but the package came within 4 days of my order ship date.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2005, 02:42 AM

I've had a similar experience to what others have mentioned with FedEx. Especially FedEx ground who delivers whenever they are good and ready. (Seriously, my PowerMac was in my city for 5 days before they finally got around to bringing it to my house.)

UPS is worse ... they actually do deliver things, but they are usually broken when they get there. I think they deliver them by way of an army missile testing ground. <GRIN>

I've had the best luck with the cheapest vendor; the US Postal Service. Go figure. Fast delivery (especially from California) and usually the least damage.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 03:41 AM

I just got inspired to check out the box my iPod I bought off eBay came in.. I bought it from a guy in eastern PA.. I live in eastern PA.

I looked at the box, it has a label printed out by the seller with all my info on it, INCLUDING instructions on how to get to my house from his. (!?) The guy lives 8 miles away! EIGHT MILES! And you know how long it took for Fedex to ship it? Almost a week. I could have driven over to his house? And picked it up! EIGHT MILES! Okay, 8.3 miles. Still, same difference! Fedex drove it all the way to Lewisberry, PA, then all the way back. 120 miles to deliver something practically next door. Don't ya just love shipping companies? Guess I should be happy it didn't have to go to a hub in Tennessee.

IamBob
Senior User
Feb 27, 2005, 01:41 PM

If I was the seller I would've stuck the shipping charge in my gas tank and brought it to you myself. Hell, I'd drive that for a good beer.

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2005, 10:38 PM

Fedex: Alright, not necessarily the best.. ground service sucks

Airborne: undoubtfully the fastest, plus I usually hear the van before I see it (the dude who drops off listens to loud rock)

UPS: Sometimes their worst aspect is their best -- no matter what they take 5 days for ground shipping.

USPS: Same mail person for years and years.. she's really nice, but her substitute is a nasty dude who's been known to throw our packages in the grass or throw mail away that we had him pick up (aka lose).

IMHO sometimes the worst is the store/place that ships, not necessarily the courier -- for example Apple is reliably the single worst place to order from.. they almost NEVER ship things on time.

Amazon is the second worst..
Aloha

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by Link:
Fedex: Alright, not necessarily the best.. ground service sucks

Airborne: undoubtfully the fastest, plus I usually hear the van before I see it (the dude who drops off listens to loud rock)

UPS: Sometimes their worst aspect is their best -- no matter what they take 5 days for ground shipping.

USPS: Same mail person for years and years.. she's really nice, but her substitute is a nasty dude who's been known to throw our packages in the grass or throw mail away that we had him pick up (aka lose).

IMHO sometimes the worst is the store/place that ships, not necessarily the courier -- for example Apple is reliably the single worst place to order from.. they almost NEVER ship things on time.

Amazon is the second worst..
uhh 3 of my orders with apple have come within 2-3 business days with the free shipping.

amazon has been less reliable, but it does meet its estimation.
iamwhor3hay

artsea
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2005, 04:05 AM

It's not FedEx, it's Apple's shipping instructions...and WOW, I can't figure it out.
I watched them leave my iMacG5 on the porch while having coffee with my neighbor, but yet it took 4 months, 3 telephone calls and 2 emails to get the $19 credit for the iPod cable I couldn't sign for. Speaking of credits, I was suppose to get a $30 credit by the 1st week of February, for the reduction in price of the mini bluetooth...NOT, guess it hasn't been 4 months yet

WoD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2005, 05:17 AM

Well, all I can say is - at least you do not have to deal with DHL.

Forget slow deliveries - they just steal your post. The only thing ever sent to me by DHL went "missing" and a friend of mine had parcels opened and stolen from.

Mac mini is due for re-delivery today and my good friend is bringing it round in the evening either before, or after the football (living near the football stadium has its mutual benefits) - Perhaps this evening I will follow up this post with one from the mini, completing another happy tale....or dare I say "Another mini adventure"

I see the odd UPS van around here, do those things fly over the ocean or something?

IamBob
Senior User
Feb 28, 2005, 11:45 AM

I see the odd UPS van around here, do those things fly over the ocean or something?
Only if UPS really does stand for United Pot Smokers and they're getting their stuff from Mr. Nice Guy in the movie Half Baked.

kikkoman
Senior User
Feb 28, 2005, 01:02 PM

Hmm, FedEx had no problem leaving my new iPod mini and dock at my door this morning.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 09:48 PM

I've never had a problem with stuff being shipped or delivered around here. Only once when I had a Sega Nomad sent to me via USPS, they made me pick it up at the post office because no one was home. Small inconvenience, but of course, I really wanted it but had to wait until the next morning.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2005, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by iranfromthezoo:
This is why I prefer the good ole boys in brown. Same delivery guy, same company, unlike Fed EX. Apple gave free shipping, but then I told them I wanted UPS to deliver and they charged like 5 bucks but the package came within 4 days of my order ship date.
I'll second that one. I prefer UPS as well. The thing that annoys me about Fedx is WHY Does a ground pickup happen the day after you call them? UPS picks up everything same driver same day.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2005, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
I'll second that one. I prefer UPS as well. The thing that annoys me about Fedx is WHY Does a ground pickup happen the day after you call them? UPS picks up everything same driver same day.
UPS has better information systems. Each vehicle is equiped with a cellular link to those electronic clipboards that they carry. (They are called DIAD - Deliver Information Aquisition Device).

I'm proud to say that (years ago) I worked on the first version of software for those things. --FLEX--
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2005, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by typoon:
Because FedEx Ground has nothing to do with FedEx Express except in name only. FedEx Ground is independent contractors who purchase their own vehicles and have their own routes.

Originally posted by driven:

UPS has better information systems. Each vehicle is equiped with a cellular link to those electronic clipboards that they carry. (They are called DIAD - Deliver Information Aquisition Device).

I'm proud to say that (years ago) I worked on the first version of software for those things. --FLEX--
FedEx has the same exact things, except they have portable trackers that they carry around with them. Only difference is they aren't built into the clip boards.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2005, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
Because FedEx Ground has nothing to do with FedEx Express except in name only. FedEx Ground is independent contractors who purchase their own vehicles and have their own routes.

FedEx has the same exact things, except they have portable trackers that they carry around with them. Only difference is they aren't built into the clip boards.
FedEx Ground used to be called "RPS". (Roadway Package Systems).

As for wireless tracking, FedEx was a little behind UPS on the wireless technology for package tracking. I wouldn't be surprised if they are even or even if they pulled ahead by now. (FedEx invented the tracking, UPS raised the bar ... now it's a commodity.) I like DHLs current tracking system with it's proactive notification ...
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

WoD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2005, 11:14 AM

Well, my mini is now sitting beside me and my insane hatrid for TNT has been pushed out of my mind so I can, at least, make an effort to contain my excitement.

The words that come to mind are: Holy saintly mother of flying thundering christmas f**k this thing is tiny!

Westfoto
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2005, 06:16 PM

This is why I always have my deliveries to my office as there is someone here most of the time and I know that it will be signed for. My advise is to find someone you know is home or get it to a shipping place so that it is signed for.

it is worth it...

West
Mac Pro - 12 GB RAM - 30" & 23" Displays - 10.7.1
MacBook Pro - 2 GB RAM - 10.6.8
Airport Extreme • Canon iPF5000 • PIXMA Pro9000 • Xerox N2125

sarin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2005, 01:57 PM

these posts are interesting. i'm currently waiting on my mac mini, they already sent my mouse and keyboard. fedex left them on my front porch. not a big deal with the mouse and keyboard, but i don't want the computer to get snatched (obviously). i contacted apple and, as other posters have pointed out, they insist that they have a standing agreement with fedex that all packages require signatures. apple told me that I may have some sort of signature waiver on file with the local fedex dispatch. I didn't recall ever doing that. I called FedEx and they said the waiver may have been set up by the previous owner of my house and that I had to fax a letter to the local fedex dispatch indicating that all packages delivered to my residence require a signature. I asked them for a fax confirmation, it remains to be seen if I'll get one (I sent the fax about an hour ago). I'm not too nervous about it. The "signature" on the fedex website is clearly from the delivery man randomly scribbling into the meter, and I was at work when the package was delivered. I just want to avoid another debacle if they do leave the mini on my porch and it gets stolen.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2005, 02:16 PM

I've directed FedEx to place delivers into my BBQ behind my house.

It works out well. Also keeps packages out of the rain. (I'm not sure yet what they'll do with stuff that won't fit.)

The only drawback is that it once took me 3 days to realize something was delivered. (I found out when I went to cook dinner)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2005, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by driven:
I've directed FedEx to place delivers into my BBQ behind my house.

It works out well. Also keeps packages out of the rain. (I'm not sure yet what they'll do with stuff that won't fit.)

The only drawback is that it once took me 3 days to realize something was delivered. (I found out when I went to cook dinner)
I hope you found out before you lit the pit.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2005, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by Jasoco:
I hope you found out before you lit the pit.
heh heh Yeah .... I usually open the lid to vent before I ignite. It just seems safer.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Forum Links
Forum Rules