Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > mac mini 512mb vs 1gb Ram?

mac mini 512mb vs 1gb Ram?
mak_attack
Feb 17, 2005, 09:10 PM

hi,

how much would one notice in terms of performance when running the mac mini with 512mb ram and 1gb of ram.

thanks,

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2005, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by mak_attack:
hi,

how much would one notice in terms of performance when running the mac mini with 512mb ram and 1gb of ram.

thanks,
You can always replace RAM later. Right now a 512 stick is dirt cheap and plenty fast. A year from now if 1GB sticks are cheap, I'll probably upgrade.

At least, that was my thinking when I got my Mini.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

andrewgf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2005, 09:17 PM

Running 512Mb on a 1.25Ghz. I have a mix of background and foreground stuff running at once.

I've yet to really tax the machine but no spinning beachballs yet. Unlike running 256Mb.

hi,

thanks,

mak_attack  (op)
Feb 17, 2005, 09:21 PM

wow thanks for super quick replies.

yeah the 1gb is more expensive at the moment. i can afford the 512 upgrade now. Just wanted to know whether it was worth forking out for the extra ram now or later on.

what kind of programs are you guys running?

thanks,

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2005, 01:52 AM

If your looking to do any semi serious PS, Flash, or FC work, then opt for the 1gb chip. You'll thank yourself later. Your going to spend $75 for a 512 chip now and $100 1gig chip later which, if you sell your 512 chip for say $30-$40 then, will cost you $130 overall, when you could just buy a gig stick for $180 now and use your machine to the fullest from day one. It's another story if you can't afford it right now, but if you can...do so, you'll thank yourself later.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Burke
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2005, 02:48 AM

1 GB of RAM isn't all that expensive, seeing as how Apple wants $325 for it installed at the factory and you can snag a 1 GB module at Crucial.com for around $220 shipped. You could toss in a $150 7200 RPM drive and get a double speed boost for about $50 more than Apple wants for 1 GB, too.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2005, 04:02 AM

Actually you could get the RAM for $180 at OWC which is Mac certified as well.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

andrewgf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2005, 04:48 AM

I run Konfabulator and adium in background.

A mix of Firefox, Ilife, Photoshop Elements plus a terminal session.

Nothing taxing. However just with this mix on 256Mb I'd get the spinning beach ball.

Will be doing php & mysql development soon.

As per other peoples comments. It depends on what your running. But I'd imagine heavy photoshop sessions or a truck load of apps would be better off with a gig.

I can recommend Kingmax tiny bga memory. Its a super slim chip that fits easily into the small space available.

Cheers.

wow thanks for super quick replies.

yeah the 1gb is more expensive at the moment. i can afford the 512 upgrade now. Just wanted to know whether it was worth forking out for the extra ram now or later on.

what kind of programs are you guys running?

thanks,

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2005, 04:57 AM

You might save a few dollars now but if your performance lags, is it worth the cost?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

mak_attack  (op)
Feb 28, 2005, 08:07 PM

hi,

how much of a difference did people notice when jumping from the stock 256mb ram to 512 or 1 gig ?

less beachballs? less lag?

thanks,

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2005, 10:24 PM

Hell I got the 1Gb Ram Shipped for under 200. It think it was like 190 shipped. I went to ramseeker.com and found the best price. I ordered from 18004memory.com I've ordered from them before and have had no problems with the RAM they sell.

I decided to go with the 1GB since the Mini only has 1 RAM slot. Why have the extra RAM if I upgrade from 512. Just upgrade once and forget it. That was my thinking
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

b11051973
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2005, 11:48 PM

hi,

how much of a difference did people notice when jumping from the stock 256mb ram to 512 or 1 gig ?

less beachballs? less lag?

thanks,
I played around with my mini for about 10 minutes before shutting down and installing my 1 gig chip. I definitely noticed a speed increase. I would not recommend using a mini with only 256.

SmileyDude
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2005, 12:40 AM

obviously, you at least need 512 on the mini to make it fast enough, but I think a 7200RPM drive in conjunction with the 512MB would give you better spead than a 1GB stick.

Of course, the best option is to do both
dennis

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2005, 02:51 PM

1 GB RAM is not necessary for most users. Anyhow, it gives you the ease of mind not to worry about open applications, large files and heavy-duty multitasking.

I was up to that decission, too, when I ordered my mini. I chose the 1GB variant, and I have to say that it's absolutely worth the extra $ (� in my case).

How does the spinning beachball look like, after all?

Oh, wait. There's still the crappy Finder�

Forum Links
Forum Rules