Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > movie trailer service is not responding

movie trailer service is not responding
darkhelmit54
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 03:17 AM

I just joined the mac cult today after getting a new intel imac. I'm really impressed and excited about it, anyways everything seems to work properly except i get that error message whenever i attempt to access movie trailers from front row, any advice?

badnewsblair
Senior User
Feb 22, 2006, 10:40 AM

I get that on my Intel iMac as well. Usually I wait a few seconds and it connects just fine. It just means there is an issue connecting to the trailer site. I tried it out on the iMacs in my local Apple Store and it did it there as well.

Like I said, be patient and it will work. It has a lot of bandwidth to suck through. Eventually it will come up if you have the connection. If it never does work, then I would more suspect your Internet connection than the software.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

darkhelmit54  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 06:52 PM

that doesn't seem to be the case as i can wait a long time and it just goes back to the movie menu in frontrow.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2006, 04:17 PM

Try this:

1) Go to System Preferences : Quicktime and look at the 'Streaming' tab.

2) Set the streaming speed to something really bad, like a 28.8 modem.

3) Then try Front Row again.

If it works, up the streaming speed. This worked for me. It seems Front Row has trouble guesstimating the data flow.

J

darkhelmit54  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2006, 04:26 PM

i really don't get it, tried that too but no different results. The internet works great, we're on cable, and i've tried all kinds of times when things shouldn't be busy.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 23, 2006, 06:06 PM

This sounds network related (or maybe I should say, this should have started in the Networking forum), so I'm moving it to the Networking forum.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

amontague
Feb 25, 2006, 10:30 AM

Front Row movie trailers don't work for me through my Airport network - but they do work if I connect via ethernet to my router. This is frustrating as I'd rather connect wirelessly to the internet - but I'm having to stick to ethernet.

Andrew

amontague
Feb 25, 2006, 07:33 PM

I found an answer to my particular problem over at Apple's boards: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....0521&tstart=15

> Try the following:
> 1 - Go to "Sharing" on the System Preferences and
> turn ON the Firewall
> 2 - on the right on the Firewall pane select "New"
> and choose "Quicktime"
>
> Voila, it works. (Even if you turn OFF the firewal)l
> it still works.
>
> Let me know if this solution works for more people.

It doesn't fix the problem for everyone - but it worked for me. I hope it helps others.

zenatek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2006, 11:21 PM

My movie trailors also stopped working when I switched to an Airport Express. This solution did not seem to fix the problem though.

darkhelmit54  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2006, 08:31 PM

still no luck, i'm connected through ethernet, the connection has been very fast and stable with this being the only issue at all with the computer. I tried the suggestion and still no dice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules