Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook 5300cs dead?

PowerBook 5300cs dead?
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2006, 06:14 PM

So I was taking apart my PowerBook 5300cs today. I do this every once in a while to keep up my mad skills. I've never had a problem before. But today, I went to boot it up, and it doesn't even budge. The HD doesn't spin, LCD doesn't light up, it's as dead as a ghost town in Texas. I took every single piece apart, but I know the power supply is recieving power since it heats up after a while like normal. I remembered to discharge electricity and all that too. Thanks in advance.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2006, 08:33 PM

R.i.p.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2006, 09:13 PM

Dang it, really? Are you sure? This was my first Mac ever

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2006, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
when i was a child i used to take watches apart. they never worked if i was able to get them back together. you should see some of the cars i've managed to take apart. and you ask me if i'm sure?
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2006, 11:49 PM

Wow, a 5300cs? I'm frankly amazed that it lasted this long. Those things were extremely flaky.

Anyway, if you really do care about such an ancient machine, try reseating the logic board. If it's not completely connected, it could cause what you're seeing.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

macdevil
Oct 2, 2006, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
It was my first laptop as well. If you need parts to try and raise it from the dead, I have mine in a dresser drawer. The rest of drawers are filled with old Duos...
Tibook 800dvi 40gig, 1 gig RAM
iMac 24" 2.16 C2d, 250G, 1gig RAM

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2006, 12:27 AM

The 5300cs was my first powerbook as well. I have kept it unused in a closet for a few years now. As far as I know it is still in perfect working order. I also have its VST swappable Zip drive and its 2-gb swappable harddrive on the same shelf. One of these days I'll rev it up for old times sake, just to see if it still runs.

vinster
Senior User
Oct 2, 2006, 12:43 AM

Joining the others to say that my first PowerBook was a 5300.

I acutally purchased the 5300 B&W version and upgraded it over a couple of years to a 5300c w/ 48MB of RAM (had to replace the logic board, screen and bezel). I also have a VST 230MB magneto optical drive, a 33.6kbp/s modem and 10 base-T Ethernet cards, an external portable Sony CD-ROM drive, and a StyleWriter 2200 (re-badged Canon BJC-50) printer.

Used it faithfully from January '97 to mid 2000. Still works last time I checked.

Forum Links
Forum Rules