Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Giving out PowerBook serial number to prospective buyer?

Giving out PowerBook serial number to prospective buyer?
btober
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2006, 02:12 PM

I'm selling my PowerBook G4 on eBay (look for my post in the Marketplace) and a prospective buyer/bidder wants my machine's serial number to run through Apple - Support in order to verify that I have AppleCare remaining through next August. Should I do this? Is there anything that an unscrupulous individual could do with a serial number? If it's suggested that I don't give out this information, what should I do to "prove" the existence of the warranty?

Thanks!
«l'innovation, c'est une situation qu'on choisit parce qu'on a une passion brûlante pour quelque chose.» - steve jobs

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2006, 02:20 PM

I don't see any harm in providing the serial number.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

KidRed
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2006, 02:53 PM

Not that he would report it stolen and offer the police the serial number as proof or anything
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

btober  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2006, 02:59 PM

Well that's what I was thinking, but the machine is registered to me with Apple and I do have the receipt from when I purchased it, so I don't think it'll be a problem.

Thanks!
«l'innovation, c'est une situation qu'on choisit parce qu'on a une passion brûlante pour quelque chose.» - steve jobs

volcano
Senior User
Oct 31, 2006, 05:35 PM

Just take a screenshot of the Apple Support page after you input your serial number. Blur a few of the letters out and send it to him/her. If he/she still wants it, say they're being a bit too paranoid -- especially if you have 95% to 100% positive feedback. If you're a trusted seller they shouldn't worry or bug you about it.

rjt1000
Senior User
Oct 31, 2006, 06:39 PM

Hi,

Put yourself in the buyers position. He will be forking over significant $$$ to someone he never met on a computer he has never seen in person. So it is not unreasonable for him to want to check you and your computer out a bit. Giving him the serial number so he can verify applecare coverage seems reasonable. You have more than adequate proof that the computer is yours.

Likewise, you will be shipping off your valuable computer to someone you never met. It is entirely reasonable for you to check out the successful buyer. Be sure he has entirely positive feedback and that you feel comfortable doing business with him.

Personally, for selling big ticket items, I would NOT allow credit card payment via Paypal. After receiving the computer, unscrupulous buyers can call their credit card issuer and say the computer was not as advertised and (believe it or not) THEY WILL UNILATERALLY REVERSE THE CHARGE AND LITERALLY TAKE THE $$$ OUT OF YOUR BANK ACCOUNT. Your only recourse then would be to go to court (in the buyers jurisdiction) to prove your case.

Safest for the seller is to only accept U.S. Post office money orders for big ticket items. Then when you cash the money order (across the counter at the Post Office) and the money is irreversibly in your pocket, you can safely ship it off. Of course, the more you limit the payment options, the fewer potential customers will bid and the less $$$ you may get. Thats the price for the extra safety.

Most people are honest, but there are a significant few who are not. And the hype of Apple products tends to attract the crooks.

rjt1000
( Last edited by rjt1000; Oct 31, 2006 at 07:50 PM. )

Atheist
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by rjt1000 View Post
Safest for the seller is to only accept U.S. Post office money orders for big ticket items. Then when you cash the money order (across the counter at the Post Office) and the money is irreversibly in your pocket, you can safely ship it off. Of course, the more you limit the payment options, the fewer potential customers will bid and the less $$$ you may get. Thats the price for the extra safety.
Safest for the seller, but idiotic for the buyer.

rjt1000
Senior User
Oct 31, 2006, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Safest for the seller, but idiotic for the buyer.
There are risks both ways. But if you buy from a reputable seller (meaning someone who sells regularly and therefore cares about his feedback rating) the buyer has much more protection than the seller does. eBay literally coddles buyers and vigorously investigates fraudulent sellers. eBay (and Paypal) do nothing to protect sellers from unscrupulous buyers who chargeback against their credit cards without cause.

For selling big ticket items, if you do accept Paypal, it is best to only accept payment from the buyers checking account and not from a credit card. Personal checks and other types of money orders are reasonably safe (if you wait for them to clear)--because there has to be due process to try to reverse a payment that has been made. But credit card issuers only care about their customers--the buyer--and they can (and do) charge back simply on the word of the buyer.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by rjt1000 View Post
There are risks both ways. But if you buy from a reputable seller (meaning someone who sells regularly and therefore cares about his feedback rating) the buyer has much more protection than the seller does. eBay literally coddles buyers and vigorously investigates fraudulent sellers. eBay (and Paypal) do nothing to protect sellers from unscrupulous buyers who chargeback against their credit cards without cause.

For selling big ticket items, if you do accept Paypal, it is best to only accept payment from the buyers checking account and not from a credit card. Personal checks and other types of money orders are reasonably safe (if you wait for them to clear)--because there has to be due process to try to reverse a payment that has been made. But credit card issuers only care about their customers--the buyer--and they can (and do) charge back simply on the word of the buyer.
Aren't there trusted middlemen companies that take shipment of the item and collect the money as well. They confirm the item is legit and then forward the cash to the seller and the item to the buyer?

romeosc
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 09:21 PM

I'd give it out, It allows them to check with Apple to see if its stolen!

vinster
Senior User
Oct 31, 2006, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by volcano View Post
Just take a screenshot of the Apple Support page after you input your serial number. Blur a few of the letters out and send it to him/her. If he/she still wants it, say they're being a bit too paranoid -- especially if you have 95% to 100% positive feedback. If you're a trusted seller they shouldn't worry or bug you about it.
I'd do this - no reason for you to give him the whole serial number. He'll have it should he decide to buy the computer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules