Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Logic Board New Serial Number?

New Logic Board New Serial Number?
felbie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2007, 01:16 PM

If my logic board was replaced in my g4 aluminum 15" powerbook 1.67 (most recent before MBP) would I have a new or no serial number listed under system profiler? Also would this replace the actual ethernet ports and whatnot that I can visually see from the outside of the laptop? please let me know. thank you

ibook_steve
Jan 18, 2007, 02:52 PM

The serial number would change.

Why do you think your external ports would change?

Steve

hemant
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2007, 03:13 PM

I guess he is talking about the mac address on the ports.

felbie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2007, 03:37 PM

I was not sure if it would or would not, I wasnt sure if since the ethernet ports and all the other ports were integrated into the logic board. if that was replaced, I thought that the actual visual ports would be different.

So if my logic board was supposedly replaced. (i did not have a problem with the logic board, except the speakers didnt work) and my serial number did not change or is still there on the system profile. does that mean it was not really replaced?

I would like to know but i dont have the ability to open the machine and look, which I would not do anyways

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2007, 03:41 PM

At least in the recent past logic board swaps cause serial numbers not to be reported in software. If the serial number is still reported, and if the MAC ethernet address is the same, then your suspicion is very likely correct that the board has not been replaced.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

felbie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2007, 03:56 PM

How would I know the previous MAC Address? Anyway to find that out?

ibook_steve
Jan 18, 2007, 05:44 PM

Not unless you wrote it down or had it in your router.

Steve

Dr. DDS
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2007, 06:00 PM

when i had my ibook's logig board replaced I noticed that my serial number was not displayed under system profiler.
14" ibook g4 /1,42Ghz/60Gb/1,5Gb RAM!

iampivot
Jan 20, 2007, 05:39 AM

I've had two logic board replacements in my mbp rev A. The first time the serial number was no longer available through software, and I got explained that this was normal. This logicboard was another rev A logic board, and the repair was done by an authorized service center. The second time I got a rev B logic board and the repair was done at an Apple Store. This time I got the original serial number "reprogrammed" into the logic board, and the guy at the store said that this was normal procedure to do and that the previous repair guys hadn't done the swap properly. Apparently it's possible to program a logic board to set a specific serial.

vinster
Senior User
Jan 20, 2007, 06:18 AM

iampivot is correct. Apple has a way to flash your existing serial number onto the new logic board. I would think this utility is heavily guarded as if it made its way into the general public it could cause a major fiasco for Apple support. Perhaps that's why the third-party service provider coudn't re-program the original serial number onto the replacement logic board.

Any interface ports that are integrated onto the logic board, which are most if not all of them, would be replaced/new.

Forum Links
Forum Rules