Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New Apple TV - 1080p TV

New Apple TV - 1080p TV
fesdds
Feb 22, 2008, 04:54 PM

I just received my Apple TV today and I think it will serve its purpose well. I have tried to figure out the best setting by reading the forum, but am still not 100% sure. I have a Samsung 1080p TV. Should I set the Apple TV to 720p or 1080i?

Thanks in advance.
Michael

swiz
GUI Punk
Feb 22, 2008, 05:42 PM

720p tends to be the resolution of choice from my research. I agree with that too, it just looks a tish crisper at 720p.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

fesdds  (op)
Feb 23, 2008, 09:56 AM

That's what it seemed from most of my research as well.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2008, 05:19 PM

I think the native resolution of the signal coming out of the ATV is 720p. Obviously, the ATV will upconvert to 1080p if you want it to. Your TV will also do this. So - it depends on which device is better at the upconversion.

I also have a 1080p TV, and it's really not much different, but I get a slightly better result setting the ATV to 720p and letting the TV do the work. But different TVs have different conversion circuitry, so try them both and see what looks best for you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules