Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari 3.1 released

Safari 3.1 released
ctbritt
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2008, 11:15 AM

woot! first post. Now where's the updated Saft for leopard?
Christopher Allbritton
MacOS X 10.4.9, 2GB RAM, 15-in. 2.33 GHz MBP 2 CD
www.back-to-iraq.com

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2008, 12:04 PM

Someone mentioned that the build was 5523.13 which is the same one thats been on ADC since the 7th of March.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2008, 12:51 PM

4525.13 here.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2008, 12:53 PM

5523.15 is my current build and I'm running 3.0.4 still...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2008, 02:13 PM

3.1 is supposed to be super fast.

Does anyone have some good links to web benchmark sites that would demonstrate this speed boost?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2008, 02:34 PM

defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugUsePieProgressIndicator -bool true

This command no longer works. I much prefer the subtle pie chart style progress indicator than the default progress bar in the URL field. Other than that, everything is working quite nicely. 1Password, Inquisitor, and Safari AdBlock all work as well.

OAW

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2008, 04:46 PM

SIMBL doesn't work with Safari 3.1. What's the best way to revert back to Safari 3.0 until SIMBL is updated to work with it?

Running 10.5.2, btw.

Cold Warrior
Mar 18, 2008, 04:50 PM

Does SafariBlock still work?

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2008, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Does SafariBlock still work?
Yeah, SafariBlock still works, but I got a warning on first launch that SIMBL wasn't going to work and was being disabled.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2008, 05:09 PM

Actually, I guess the error is being generated by SIMBL, but the actual problem is that Keywurl doesn't work.

Cold Warrior
Mar 18, 2008, 08:25 PM

OK, I've installed the update and the OS X security update. All seems well. SafariBlock is still blocking. Safari may be a bit quicker on rendering.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 08:35 AM

My MacBook hung after installing Safari 3.1... update installed but got a never-ending spinning gear cog thing during shutdown. After about 10 minutes, I hit the power button to do a hard reboot. Seems to be no worse for wear, but hate when that kind of thing happens. No such problem after the subsequent security update.

My Mac Pro, which I didn't update until about 10:30 PM, got both updates at the same time (with no reboot issue like above).

selowitch
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2008, 10:34 AM

So the new version of Safari supports HTML 5, CSS Web fonts, and CSS animations. What are those exactly, and how do I start using them (experimentally)? Are there any articles about them other than the very dense W3C specs?

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by selowitch View Post
So the new version of Safari supports HTML 5, CSS Web fonts, and CSS animations. What are those exactly, and how do I start using them (experimentally)? Are there any articles about them other than the very dense W3C specs?
New HTML and CSS Features in Safari 3.1 - Mac Rumors

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2008, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by selowitch View Post
Surfin’ Safari

Some of it is dense, but the description for e.g. CSS Web fonts and animations are easy to understand.

In summary: web sites can use embedded fonts that are displayed by your computer which means that they don't have to rely on you having a particular font installed to be able to display their site in the way in which it was designed. That is, they can use fonts other than the "web safe" ones and know that the end user will not need to have them installed.

For the animations, it means that clicking buttons and other CSS objects can lead to an animation (e.g. spinning, sliding, etc).

(Edit: sorry rickey939 - I neglected to refresh the page before posting so didn't realise you had posted an alternative site with easy to understand explanations).

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2008, 11:53 AM

Sweet! You can now double-click in an empty area of the tab bar to open a new tab.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2008, 12:54 PM

I foresee a new generation of annoying banner ads with distatesteful animation and icky fonts.

“Building Better Worlds”

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2008, 04:14 PM

Sweet!
Before!

After!

zerostar
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2008, 10:38 PM

Anyone else cashing on the Acid 3 test? I get to around 60% all looks well and then Safari quits out... Any ideas what could be causing this?

Also, I can not get the Yahoo Games to work... WHAT am I supposed to do at work now?!? HAHAHA

Text Twist on Yahoo! Games

Can anyone load that or figure out why the Acid 3 quits out on me?

EDIT: Removing from library/Internet Plug-Ins an old Adobe SVG plugin fixed my Acid 3 quitting. Now if I could only fix Text Twist. Anyone have any luck?
( Last edited by zerostar; Mar 22, 2008 at 11:16 PM. )

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2008, 09:55 AM

Safari 3.1 keeps asking for Keychain access every time I run it. If I click "Change All", it sits for 3 minutes until it finally stops beachballing.

I've tried fixing the keychain (in Keychain access) and it found problems, fixed them, but safari still asks every time.

I deleted Safari's plist in the ~\Library\whatever... and that didn't help.

I reinstalled Safari 3.0.4 in the meantime. Thank goodness I do a backup before a major update.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2008, 10:10 AM

Have you applied any hacks that alter the Safari package? If so, that will invalidate the code signing certificate and this will prevent Safari from using Keychain without permission. Therefore, you will get prompted each time you use it.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2008, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Have you applied any hacks that alter the Safari package? If so, that will invalidate the code signing certificate and this will prevent Safari from using Keychain without permission. Therefore, you will get prompted each time you use it.
No hacks. Nothing. Every tip I have found on the net has not fixed it.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

FireWire
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2008, 06:45 PM

Safari 3.1 is really great so far, except for two annoying bugs:

I have the debug menu enabled (now called Develop), but now it lies betwee the Bookmarks and Window menus.. I was used to click at this location to use the Window menu, but now I find myself invoking the Develop menu all the time by mistake.

The other bug I found is only present on Facebook.. once in a while, I can't click on anything! Safari can "see" the link, as it displays the URL in the status bar, but clicking has no effect: I have to select "Open link in new window". Same thing for the Search feature on the left side of the page. The list from which to chose from appears, but I cannot click on the selection. The bug persists even after I reset Safari and restart it. Then after a few tries, it suddenly works again..

badidea
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2008, 06:03 AM

Is it just me or does the automatic picture resize not work anymore?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2008, 09:29 AM

Just you.

badidea
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2008, 09:52 AM

Damn.

Is there a setting hidden somewhere or am I lost now?

hwojtek
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2008, 09:59 AM

Cookie management still fails on ICBMs... I mean the error described here still persists. This sucks.
Wojtek

All Macs still running: iMac G3 Trayloader 333MHz, iMac G3 350 MHz, iMac G4, PM G4 DP 1.6 GHz, 2 x eMac 1 GHz, PBG4 12" 1.5 GHz, Mac SuperMini™ C2D 2.33GHz/802.11n/200GB, Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 GHz/4GB.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2008, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by hwojtek View Post
Cookie management still fails on ICBMs... I mean the error described here still persists. This sucks.
Billions of dollars spent and untold manhours still fail against ICBMs, I wouldn't expect Apple to make it

“Building Better Worlds”

Forum Links
Forum Rules