Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > QuickTime 7 in Tiger is Ticking Me Off!

QuickTime 7 in Tiger is Ticking Me Off!
TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2005, 08:42 PM

I don't know if anyone else noticed this... but every time I make a new QuickTime 7 window in Tiger... it sticks to the menu bar and the left edge of the screen. This is soo annoying. While this may be so small that most people don't care... why does it do this... I need space between my movie and my menu bar. I'm a spacie kinda guy.

Does anyone know how to fix this... previous versions of QuickTime never did this... even opening up any movie file shoves it to the very corner of the screen.

Same thing goes for Finder preferences window. I need to know how to fix this... I have developer tools if that helps.

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2005, 10:07 PM

I HATE this too. Everything in Tiger seems to open right up there in the top corner. I expect applications to remember the position of the last opened window and “cascade” the next items relative to that one. I guess there's nothing we can do until Apple fix it...

Thinine
Mac Elite
May 31, 2005, 10:48 PM

From my brief look in the QT Player pref file, it appears that it doesn't have a preference to remember window position. It does have one for the info window position, but not one for the video window, that I can see.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2005, 03:22 AM

Here's the next one who HATES this!!
I usually watch my movies on my TV (second screen) and QT6 always remembered the position of the movie player when I moved it there - QT7 doesn't!!

Meritocracy
Jun 1, 2005, 03:33 AM

I've got this issue with Windows Media Player, Quicktime and Real Player in Tiger. None recall window settings. Also, as others have mentioned in other threads, Safari seems to recall my preference for a while, then seemingly forget.
What exactly is rotten in Denmark?

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2005, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by badidea
Here's the next one who HATES this!!
I usually watch my movies on my TV (second screen) and QT6 always remembered the position of the movie player when I moved it there - QT7 doesn't!!
Agreed.

dru
Senior User
Jun 2, 2005, 02:09 PM

Updated to 7.01 in Tiger and had two Help menus. I used Interface Builder to remove one. Both were identical and working. Bizarre. Anyone else see this?
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

bmedina
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2005, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by dru
Updated to 7.01 in Tiger and had two Help menus. I used Interface Builder to remove one. Both were identical and working. Bizarre. Anyone else see this?
Wasn't that a bug with the Divx plugin?

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2005, 09:39 PM

So I guess nobody can fix this? Damn... ever time Apple takes 2 steps forward... they also take 1 step back. I hate this about Apple.

Something that used to work really good gets changed... it's nice to have added on features and optimizations, but I still would like it to at least work the way it used to.

And I figured out how to get my Safari window to remember where it goes... just place the newly created window where you want it to always show up and resize it a little. Then it should keep popping up there... however sometimes it still forgets and this trick does not work with QuickTime 7.

Does anyone know if QuickTime 7 does this in Panther?

You know... sometimes I wish I could take Dashboard and Spotlight back to Panther... That would be sweet.

dru
Senior User
Jun 3, 2005, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by bmedina
Wasn't that a bug with the Divx plugin?
Could be. I do have it installed... I never noticed the double HELP menus until the 7.01 update though.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2005, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz
Does anyone know if QuickTime 7 does this in Panther?
I don't have Tiger -> Quicktime 7 does not remember window positions on Panther either!

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2005, 06:38 PM

It's probably so that if somehow a window gets dragged off screen the user doesn't have to figure out a way to get it back on.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2005, 07:15 PM

It's impossible to drag a window completely off the screen... and it's the users fault if they do. If you can drag it off the screen, you can drag it back on again... plain and simple. Now give us back our QuickTime that can remember window placements!

Forum Links
Forum Rules