Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Which format do I use to compress a 13GB video file?

Which format do I use to compress a 13GB video file?
bahia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2005, 09:03 AM

Hi,
I have a video file of 13 GB (.mov) that I would like to compress to put it on a 700MB cd or watch it on my laptop.

Which format and setting you think I should use to compress that file?
What to use? Qucktime Pro? Compressor?

If I need to burn a DVD I have to export that same 13GB file in MPGEG-2 format, right?

Many Thanks!

Lukas

Sean Alter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2005, 11:38 AM

I'm not positive for something that big but I think you might be able to use dvd2one. I use it to compress files that are 8gb to 4.4gb to fit it onto a single dvd. From 13 gb to 700mb should work on the same program but the quality would obviously be poor.

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2005, 01:11 PM

DVD2one should only be used for compressing dual-layer DVD discs to fit on a single-layered one. Not to mention that it probably wouldn't take a .mov file as input.

Yes, QT Pro, or you can export (compress) directly from the application if it's an Apple one like FCP/FCE or iMovie.

My advice would be to use MPEG-4. It gives good compression while not being as processor-demanding as H.264. Try the 3ivx encoder, it gives better results than Apple's. Use the 2pass option and the online bitrate calculator. Depending on the resolution and length of the movie you can scale it down a bit. For example, if it's 2 hours, try 320x240, if it's just 1 hour you can try it with 576x432 (if the original resolution is 640x480). Keep the other [3ivx encoder] options as they are and it will encode as simple-profile MPEG-4 that any installation of QT 6 and above can play. For audio, use AAC at 128 kbps, or maybe even lower if it's mostly talk.

bmedina
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2005, 11:11 PM

I second the suggestion for 3ivx. The only option that forces advance-simple profile is MPEG Quantizer. Just keep that unchecked, and you'll be fine (it's not useful at low bitrates, anyway). AAC at 96kbps or higher is pretty good. Below that, it goes downhill quickly.

bahia  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2005, 06:52 PM

ok thanks.,
for some reason when i try to use mpeg-4 export the sound gets all messed up..

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2005, 06:59 PM

Is this when you export to .mp4 format or does it also happen when you export to .mov with AAC audio?

You can also encode the audio to MP3 by first exporting the audio track to AIFF, then converting that with iTunes and combining it with the compressed video in QT Pro.

bahia  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2005, 05:23 AM

ok i'll see what to do..
thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules