Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Please help -- MAJOR iBook problem!!

Please help -- MAJOR iBook problem!!
mmflame
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2003, 10:49 PM

Hello,

I have an iBook G3 800MHz (which is about 6 months old). I was surfing the net, minding my own business when the display started to crap out. First I saw these thin lines appear on the screen, then the mouse cursor stopped responding, and finally more lines appeared all over the screen.

I forced a shut down, waiting a few minutes and rebooted, only to have the same problem again. Seems like overheating graphics chip, but I can't be sure.

The only thing I recently did was update iTunes to 4.1, update QuickTime and update to the latest OS X patches.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2003, 11:56 PM

the display problem is unrelated to the new software you installed. call apple or a service center about a repair. if you machine is under warranty, it shouldn't cost you anything.

-r.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2003, 11:58 PM

Sounds like what happened to me, and it's a logic board problem. You'll have to send it in for service, but it'll be covered...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

pat++
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2003, 08:57 PM

I would say jokell82 is right... sounds like the famous logic board problem...

mmflame  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2003, 03:20 PM

took my iBook to the local Mac dealer and it'll be sent out for repairs. looks like it is indeed the problem you guys mentioned. so glad that there's a month and a half left in my basic warranty. the local dealer is having a special on the extended AppleCare warranty ($50 off), do you guys think I should go for it?

btw, thanks for the help, guys!

Scooterboy
Senior User
Oct 18, 2003, 04:05 PM

Yes, absolutely! Repairs can be expensive and and an extended warranty, AppleCare or otherwise, can save you a lot of grief and money.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

Forum Links
Forum Rules