Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 Memory upgrade question

G5 Memory upgrade question
holderlin
Jan 7, 2004, 12:07 PM

I tried installing PNY 1G kit (two 512MB) memory cards into my dual 1.8G G5. The package declares that it is specifically designed for G5 and PNY's configurator indicates that this is the kit to use. However, the G5 doesn't recognize the memory cards. I first added them to the two pre-installed memory cards. Apple Profiler showed me with 512MB of RAM and 6 memory slots empty. Then I took out the two pre-installed memory cards and replaced them with the PNYs. Again, no recognition of the cards (Panther OS would not even boot up).

I called PNY customer service (an oxymoron) and waited on hold for 2 hours before I had to start making dinner and left a message. After two days I still haven't heard from them. I left an e-mail, and again two days and still haven't heard from them.

Anybody have ideas what's wrong? Is it incompatible with 10.3.2? Is there something that I should be doing to get the computer to recognize the memory? I've upgraded memory any number of times and have never had to do more than plug and play.

Thanks,
Bob

saru boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2004, 01:59 PM

1. Did you install them in pairs - one in the top bank of slots and one in the bottom bank? They have to be installed this way.

2. Did you make sure that they were fully clipped in? Sometimes you really have to jam them into the slots - make sure the tabs on the sides click into the notches on the DIMMS.

3. Do the DIMMS have any indications as to what speed they are? The Dual 1.8ghz G5 takes PC3200 DDR400 non-ECC DIMMS. Slower DIMMS will not work. Faster DIMMS should work, but there may be problems as some faster DIMMS do not work well at slower speeds.

I think any claims of being "specifically designed for the G5" are pure bunk. First of all, the 1.6ghz G5 takes different memory than the dual 1.8 or 2.0 models. Second of all, memory is memory. It's not like Hynix or Samsung or whoever has a separate plant that produces memory chips that are specifically for use in Macs.

If the memory is PC3200 non-ECC and you installed them correectly and they still don't work, send them back. That's what warranties are for.

saru boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2004, 02:02 PM

sodamnregistered2
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2004, 04:09 PM

They have to be installed in pairs in matching slots. A1 B1, A2 B2 or whatever the name scheme is.

Ram could also be bad. Newer Apples are known to be finicky with RAM. I'd really only buy known quality ram like Kingston or Crucial for the Mac. Plus quality RAM manufacturers answer the phone and issues RMAs for bad ram.

I've had good experiences with Crucial.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16GHz 2GB 120GB OSX 10.4.9, Boot Camp 1.2, Vista Home Premium
mac mini 1.42, 60GB 7200rpm, 1GB (sold), dual 2GHz/G5 (sold), Powerbook 15" 1GHz (sold)
dual G4 800MHz (sold), dual G4 450MHz (sold), G4 450MHz (sold), Powerbook Pismo G3 500MHz (sold)
PowerMac 9500 132MHz 601, dual 180MHz 604e, Newer G3 400MHz (in closet)
Powermac 7100 80MHz (sold), Powermac 7100 66MHz (sold)

holderlin  (op)
Jan 7, 2004, 10:38 PM

After talking to a tech support person he said that either one of the cards was defective or the brand of ic was incompatible with the G5. I exchanged the memory for another PNY kit with the same brand of ic and the g5 promptly recognized them.

Thanks for your help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules