Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Obligatory .tcsh tutorial

Obligatory .tcsh tutorial
andrewlogan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2004, 11:50 PM

I lent my Unix book to a friend (Why the hell would I do a stupid thing like that!?!). I'm looking for the obligatory .tcsh tutorial(setting aliases at launch and such...), I'm sure it exists, but there are so many topics in the forum that I can't seem to find it! Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Rainy Day
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2004, 01:31 PM

If you're looking for a tutorial, that means you really don't know tcsh all that well. Since your mind is still open and impressionable (insofar as shells are concerned), i'd suggest you use bash. Don't waste your time learning yesterday's news. bash shipped with Jaguar, and is now the default shell on Panther. Since it is also the shell of choice on Linux, there are lot's of on-line tutorials for bash. IMO (strictly an opinion; no religious wars please), it is the better of the two shells, but YMMV. You can find links for shells here, including comparisons between shells.

OreoCookie
Jul 12, 2004, 12:21 AM

I would concur to the statement above. But in most cases of everyday shell business (i. e. few or no shell scripts), it really makes no difference. Once you get into programming, there are much more tutorials for bash, so I would suggest you to use bash as well.

Most shell scripts you can find on the net use bash syntax.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules