Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > minor shareware debacle

minor shareware debacle
wil
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2003, 08:35 PM

Let's say I purchase a small shareware program that is relatively unknown but the demo suggests a grade B product. The price is $18 which seems a little steep, but I bite the bullet. Less than a week later that same shareware title is on temporary, week-long sale for $15.

Is it just my misfortune for not waiting a week and therefore I don't deserve some consideration for a $3 refund?

Would the answer be different if we added a couple of zeros on the ends of those figures?

I know in the realty business, a house is worth a much as it sells for. By that logic, if I was willing to shell out $18, I should be happy. I shouldn't try to contest the matter. Right?

Is this a question of ethics?

I know what my gut tells me, but I'd like to canvas this particularly bright group of individuals for your thoughts.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2003, 08:39 PM

Sue that bastard.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

wil  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2003, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
Sue that bastard.
heh. i figured that would be a common response. I'm not actually going to pursue the matter with the developer, but I am interested in the basic principles underlying what happened.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2003, 09:13 PM

Let's say you buy a TV at your local electronics store. The next week, the same TV goes on sale. Has the store done anything wrong? No.

Would it be nice for the store to provide you with a small refund in order to build customer loyalty? Yes. Do they have to? No.

You bought the software at the wrong time. You can ask the developer to provide a small refund and he might agree, but he doesn't have to.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2003, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
Sue that bastard.
For what, cutting his prices?!

I agree with dtriska. Send him an e-mail. Perhaps he will be accomodating, and help you.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by dtriska:
Let's say you buy a TV at your local electronics store. The next week, the same TV goes on sale. Has the store done anything wrong? No.

Would it be nice for the store to provide you with a small refund in order to build customer loyalty? Yes. Do they have to? No.

You bought the software at the wrong time. You can ask the developer to provide a small refund and he might agree, but he doesn't have to.
Another thing to mention is that for small developers, most of the profits on a sale are gone when you have to issue a refund. On a $10 product, I pay $2 in credit processing fees. If I have to issue a credit, that's another $2, plus the $3 credit. So now my $10 program resulted in $3 profit. Hardly worth the effort.

If it's a small developer, just forget it. If it was worth what you paid for it, then it still is. If not, you should not have bought it.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

jasong
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 12:35 AM

Let's look at it the other way, say this developer raises his prices. Can he contact you to pay the difference?

It never hurts to ask, but no matter how many zeros there are at the end of the number, you are owed nothing.

-- Jason

PS for anyone who find discussions of this nature interesting, take a look at the Talmud (Jewish discussion on biblical law). There is a whole section on transactional purchases, discussing who is the buyer and who the seller, when is the sale complete, what are the buyer and sellers obligations to each other, and way more.

wil  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2003, 01:35 AM

I did not know that talmud had in-depth discussion on transactions. that's very interesting. I agree that nothing is owed. The reason I was even questioning it is that I'm pretty sure companies like apple (i think) do some kinda, if you purchased within the last month or something and we've dropped our price you can get the difference. That got me to thinking: huh...is that a typical business response, an ethical obligation, or is it just being nice.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2003, 04:33 AM

I agree with the former; when it's done, it's for customer loyalty and trying to build a better consumer base, but they really have no obligation to refund.

If some zeros were added to the end of the numbers, would it change anything? Sure, but it wouldn't mean the company you bought from owes you anything, it just means that you're probably going to be a little more pissed-off. Really, though, in this case, $3 is nothing.

-Q-
Dec 22, 2003, 12:56 PM

It's always been an unwritten rule in retail that if you purchase something and it goes on sale within 7 days, you can come in and get a refund for the difference. Never tried this with a software vendor tho'. So while the precedent exists in other markets, it really does come down to the individuals involved in the situation.

But go ahead and ask. All the developer can do is say 'no'.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2003, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
For what, cutting his prices?!
Yes, what for? I was being sarcastic. This is probably a small software developer and people complain because they missed a $3 discount.

There is no law that requires to backdate a price reduction. And even if there were, the people who bought a week before you would complain. Or those who bought a month before...
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2003, 06:29 PM

Jeezus, $3. Apple is guilty of far, far worse.

Forum Links
Forum Rules