Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > JBL on stage any good?

JBL on stage any good?
jonzilla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2005, 03:13 AM

Hi guys,

Tried to do a forum search on this set of speakers but to no avail (maybe I missed out - sorry if I did).

Just wondering, for those who have owned or (know someone that does) a JBL on stage speakers. Are they any good? I have read some reviews online but would like to hear from you guys (consumers) before I take the plunge.

Happy New Year!
PB G4 1.33Ghz/2GB Ram/60GB/Combo, ibook G4 800Mhz/640 Ram/30GB/Combo, iMac (purple) 333Mhz/160 Ram, 23" Apple Cinema Display (Alu), G3 20GB Ipod, 4GB Ipod mini (Pink & Silver), Airport Express, iSight & GriffinTech Powermate.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2005, 01:08 PM

We got them in the store two weeks ago, and I had a brief listen.

Vastly better than the JBL onTour (which I truly, truly despise), but it seems to employ the same variant of audio f*ckage to achieve its "dazzling" sound. It futzes with the high frequencies, shifting phases to disguise the fact that the speakers are just tiny, tinny little screechers. (Similar to what the "sound enhancer" in iTunes does.)

That said:
I can see why people like them (call it the audio equivalent of being distracted by shiny objects), so if you're one who's impressed by those Bose kitchen radio thingies, then by all means give them a listen.

You won't be disappointed.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2005, 02:54 PM

What's your goal?

They sound "okay" but not great -- they're pretty thin on the bass.

The $300 Bose sounds a lot better overall because it's a much fuller sound.

This stuff is all personal preference, though -- I wouldn't recommend you buy anything without giving it a listen first. I bought some of the older Altec InMotions and I listened once... trying to barter them with a friend for something

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2005, 05:52 PM

I just got this for christmas and I think it's awesome, but it depends on how you want to listen to your music. If your listening to just classic rock at normal volume, these speakers rock, but if you try to turn on some rap full blast you will be dissapointed. I think they're definetly worth the $150.

jonzilla  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2005, 10:01 AM

Sorry for the late reply, been on a holiday!

Anyways my goal is pretty simple, 1) decent sound and 2) looks good.

I listen primarily to Jazz and Classical music and furthermore I plan to buy this for use in my office. Dont want a powerful speakers as my neighbors will start complaining I will listen to it first hand before I commit.

Thank guys for your advice.

Best,
PB G4 1.33Ghz/2GB Ram/60GB/Combo, ibook G4 800Mhz/640 Ram/30GB/Combo, iMac (purple) 333Mhz/160 Ram, 23" Apple Cinema Display (Alu), G3 20GB Ipod, 4GB Ipod mini (Pink & Silver), Airport Express, iSight & GriffinTech Powermate.

mpercy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2005, 05:16 PM

Have you considered the Tivoli PAL, or the iPAL? It has a pretty decent non-fatiguing sound for its size � nicer for longer listening periods or background music. It also has an excellent tuner, and a rechargeable battery pack if you want to move it around. Overall, a competent little package if you are not after the boombox sound.
[/B][/QUOTE]iPAL link

Regards,

Matt

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jonzilla:
[B]Sorry for the late reply, been on a holiday!

Anyways my goal is pretty simple, 1) decent sound and 2) looks good.

I listen primarily to Jazz and Classical music and furthermore I plan to buy this for use in my office. Dont want a powerful speakers as my neighbors will start complaining I will listen to it first hand before I commit.

Thank guys for your advice.

Best,

Forum Links
Forum Rules