Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > AppleWorks 6.2.9 is Available....

AppleWorks 6.2.9 is Available....
gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2004, 08:08 AM

http://www.apple.com/appleworks/update/

FYI...

AppleWorks 6.2.9 for Mac OS X
This update to AppleWorks 6.0 and later supports mice with scroll wheels and improves the performance and reliability of AppleWorks� presentation and spreadsheet environments. AppleWorks 6.2.9 also offers improved printing and resolves issues using web based templates and clip-art on networks using proxy servers.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2004, 08:20 AM

nice, thanks.

question: how did you come acros this? you just happen to be running around the appleworks page?

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2004, 08:23 AM

I just saw it at macupdte.
I finally have scrolling!!!!!

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

proton
Senior User
Jan 15, 2004, 08:37 AM

Unfortunately, as with the last few AppleWorks updates, there's no update for the International English version of AppleWorks. I wouldn't mind if I could just install the US-English version, it'd be better than putting up with the old International English edition.

- proton

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 09:01 AM

I've hardly used it in the last year (still had 6.2.4). Don't know whether an earlier update would have, but this 6.2.9 got some spreadsheet printing working with proper margins for me (compared to 6.2.4).
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

gorickey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2004, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by mdc:
nice, thanks.

question: how did you come acros this? you just happen to be running around the appleworks page?
I re-fresh every Apple.com page every 30 seconds, everyday...all year...

dole
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2004, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
I re-fresh every Apple.com page every 30 seconds, everyday...all year...
And I though I was the only one who did that!

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 11:00 AM

Scroll wheel works!

-Q-
Jan 15, 2004, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by proton:
Unfortunately, as with the last few AppleWorks updates, there's no update for the International English version of AppleWorks. I wouldn't mind if I could just install the US-English version, it'd be better than putting up with the old International English edition.

- proton
The international English update can be found on this page.. It's the second download option.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2004, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by -Q-:
The international English update can be found on this page.. It's the second download option.
But none of the other languages.
We still have to work with this craptacular old version of AppleWorks.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jan 15, 2004, 12:05 PM

Am I the only one who's underwhelmed by this? I can't understand why anyone would even bother with AppleWorks. I mean, it's 2004 and it just now supports a scroll wheel? And people are excited about it? Come on!

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 12:14 PM

By AW 6.6.9 we might have live scrolling too!

The (window) toolbar now uses true aqua pop up menus, but on a platinum background it looks sucky still

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2004, 12:23 PM

Post some screenshots please.

Does the starting point window still have Jaguar stripes in the tile bar on Panther? Does it have live window resizing (no outline resizing)? Does it have live scrolling and proportional scroll thumbs? Are the alignment buttons still OS 9 gray or Aqua? Do the preferences window and the document format window still have these ugly black group box lines? Does it have the save dialog as sheet and long file names? Does it have Quartz text smoothing?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by parsec_kadets:
Am I the only one who's underwhelmed by this? I can't understand why anyone would even bother with AppleWorks. I mean, it's 2004 and it just now supports a scroll wheel? And people are excited about it? Come on!

I'm sure Word has tons of features I might find useful, and actually I have Office X too. I'm so familiar with AW, though, having used it since it was MacWrite II, that it's comfortable to stay with it. It's still my main choice for word processing, though I've migrated to Excel for my spreadsheet needs.

So yes, since everything else uses a scroll wheel these days, it is quite nice to have that feature activiated in this update.

trash80
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2004, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by parsec_kadets:
well i bother with it because its spreadsheet module is easily adequate for what i need.

i'm underwhelmed though because i'm one of the poor suckers who uses international english AW and thus have been ignored by an update yet again.

davecom
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 02:16 PM

Atleast they're still updating it.

-Q-
Jan 15, 2004, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by trash80:
i'm underwhelmed though because i'm one of the poor suckers who uses international english AW and thus have been ignored by an update yet again.
How are you ignored? What's the difference btw the version you're using and the one I linked to?

lookmark
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 02:43 PM

No screenshots necessary, I'm afraid.

Originally posted by Developer:
Does the starting point window still have Jaguar stripes in the tile bar on Panther? Does it have live window resizing (no outline resizing)? Does it have live scrolling and proportional scroll thumbs? Are the alignment buttons still OS 9 gray or Aqua? Do the preferences window and the document format window still have these ugly black group box lines? Does it have the save dialog as sheet and long file names? Does it have Quartz text smoothing?
Yes, no, no, OS 9 gray, yes, no, no.

This is just another minor AppleWorks coma support update.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2004, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by davecom:
Yes I thought it was done as well. I had to look twice when I saw it on Version Tracker this morning.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2004, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by davecom:
Man your signature is way too big...

undotwa
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2004, 01:11 AM

Originally posted by proton:

- proton
I did this with an old copy of AppleWorks, not sure if it still applies.

Boot into Mac OS 9 with a copy of resedit and open AppleWorks. Open the vers resource and change the language in all resources listed under vers.
In vino veritas.

trash80
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2004, 06:52 AM

How are you ignored? What's the difference btw the version you're using and the one I linked to?
the updater only updates north american AW doesn't it? mine is international english

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2004, 07:57 AM

For those of you who have missed it earlier - the international update can be downloaded from the above link provided by -Q-

trash80
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2004, 09:26 AM

hey cool!

i didn't think it would be available, when i read http://www.apple.com/appleworks/update/ earlier it said north american english AW was required.

proton
Senior User
Jan 16, 2004, 09:30 AM

Thanks -Q-, that update worked fine.

Just as a note, the download links are also available from the UK and Australian Apple sites.
http://www.apple.com/uk/appleworks/update/
http://www.apple.com.au/appleworks/update/

This is a nice departure from the previous updates where the International English version either didn't exist, or wasn't released for a month or so after the US English one.

- proton

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2004, 07:15 AM

It's available in German now.

There's a funny bug: Open the preferences dialog above a document and click into it. The scrollwheel will then scroll the preferences dialog.

Forum Links
Forum Rules