Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBreeze? Anybody have one?

iBreeze? Anybody have one?
gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2003, 08:41 AM

http://www.macmice.com/ibreeze.html

If so, how is it?

Thanks.

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2004, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:

If so, how is it?

Thanks.
Did you end up buying one of these? I'm debating purchasing one myself.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

new newton
Banned
Jan 23, 2004, 07:50 PM

Do a search. Someone recently posted that they were quite displeased with it. In short, no change in temps, and the fans make noise.

andrew davidoff
Jan 23, 2004, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:

If so, how is it?

Thanks.
imo, complete waste of money.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=198662

andrew davidoff

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2004, 01:07 PM

Cooling devices and heatsinks do, of course, work. That said, there's better products out there, perhaps the Antec version. Haven't personally seen the iBreeze but one person said there wasn't a bottom surface to protect the fans from being stopped by fabric etc (such as putting it on your lap or in bed.)

Passive heatsinks don't make any noise, fans will make some noise even when driven by USB power. What constitutes "noisy" for some people doesn't bother other people. For example, if your laptop is one of those whose fans go into the "hairdryer" mode, then the quiet noise of a USB cooling device would be quite welcome if it kills or shortens the time of the high-speed cooling fan.

You know how marble is always cool? I found a used Mexican marble chessboard that's .75" thick. Works wonderfully well to cool my Ti on hot days with no a/c. I've got the Cyber3 handle that raises the rear edge for air circulation and cooling, but on really hot days the hairdryer speed would kick in. Setting it down on the marble would stop the fan in a short period of time. After awhile the marble gets warm, naturally, and the fan kicks back in. So, raising the Ti to allow the marble to cool, Ti heats up, lower it back down onto the marble, etc. Some people have used 2 marble floor tiles that they switch out, but some hot laptops like the rev A 12" firebook need something more powerful like the USB cooling devices.

The original version of Panther, 10.3, was said to be very helpful on the heat front, because of agressive cycling of the CPU (depending on the load, the CPU would ramp up or down, meaning less heat.) Later versions of Panther implement disagreeable "improvements" for laptops, stuff like making the fans turn on at lower temperatures.

gorickey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2004, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by RealMac:
Did you end up buying one of these? I'm debating purchasing one myself.
No, I never did...sounds like I am glad I didn't either from that other review...

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2004, 05:27 PM

I'm glad I didn't buy one. I think I'm just going to stick with the Podium Pad. I've had one and It worked pretty well at propping up the Powerbook They are also adjustable heights. Not sure if temps would be lowered but It definitely does allow for better airflow to the bottom of the 'Book. So that might help a little. I'll have to do some tests to see if temps are reduced. The other thing I like about it is that the Podium Pad spins so if you are using it during a presentation you can spin it to show people what you need on your 'Book
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

mithridain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2004, 09:03 PM

I have an iBreeze. I rather like it. Yes, the fans can get noisy, but I don't pay attention to the fans. The fans aren't as noisy as my Windows PC, but they are louder than the fan in the PB.

I play quite a bit of Neverwinter Nights. When playing, the PB gets really hot. Hot enough so that I cannot touch it for very long. When using the iBreeze, it gets a bit warm.

I also have a Traveler CoolPad. It works pretty well, but definitely not as well as the iBreeze (or it's brother, the CoolPad). It at least keeps it above the table top so there is airflow. I use it for travel and rarely push the PB too hard when using it. I used to have a CoolPad, but I liked the idea of having fans under the PB more than just lifting it up (and my friend wanted to get another CoolPad so...). The iBreeze does not spin/rotate, like the CoolPad, but I do not do presentations or such so I don't really need that.

Just for reference, I have a 15" PB Titanium (1GHz). This version cannot check CPU temperature.

P.S.: I'm thinking of getting an iLap when they come out. I rather like surfing wirelessly while "watching" TV.

tmjf_sifu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2004, 11:33 PM

i have the iCurve which has no fans or anything fancy, but it does elevate my ibook and allow more exposure to ambient air. it keeps my machine noticably cooler, elevates the screen to eye level and looks totally sweet.

holden mcgroin
iBook G4 933mhz
AE
BT
Max RAM
iCurve
Pro Speakers, Apple BT KB and Mouse

Charles Bouldin
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2004, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by tmjf_sifu:
i have the iCurve which has no fans or anything fancy, but it does elevate my ibook and allow more exposure to ambient air. it keeps my machine noticably cooler, elevates the screen to eye level and looks totally sweet.

holden mcgroin
They've discontinued it, but macmice.com still has a few left of the "iperch plus". It's stand that elevates the PB, like the icurve, but it is sturdier (I've owned both) -and- the IPP has an 80 mm fan that cools the bottom of the PB. The fan is -----silent----. The trick is that the fan is run well under its rated voltage.

This coooling scheme doesn't keep the fan(s) in my tibook from coming on, but they come on something like 80% less and they turn off much more quickly

BTW, I would like to dis-spell some of the "Jack Campbell is a sleaze" myths. I've found him responsive and helpful. When they identified a defect with the IPP, they sent everyone a new one! The defect (glue coming loose on the pads that hold the PB onto the IPP) was pretty minor. I just reglued them, so I now have two of the IPP.

The iperch plus is the best cooling solution I've found for hot powerbooks.

If you want a portable solution, see

http://www.climator.com/passivecooling.html

This also works, but at a desk the iperch plus is unbeatable.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2005, 08:18 PM

Bump. Anybody use this? I'm thinking of buying it.

Ω
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2005, 08:30 PM

( Last edited by Ω; Oct 10, 2007 at 07:19 AM. )
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2005, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the input.

Do you play games on your Powerbooks? What happens if you have the Ibreeze going, does it prevent your fans from turning on?

Ω
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2005, 09:22 PM

( Last edited by Ω; Oct 10, 2007 at 07:18 AM. )

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2005, 10:34 PM

I would really appreciate it if you try something for me.

Do a really intense task like encoding a quicktime movie. Do it so that it lasts like 10 minutes or so.

Without the iBreeze, obviously the fan will come on pretty quickly.

With the iBreeze on, does it prevent the PB fan from coming on even during a really intensive task?

Ω
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2005, 11:09 PM

( Last edited by Ω; Oct 10, 2007 at 07:18 AM. )

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2005, 03:13 PM

IiCurve Rocks - plenty of room to keep the notebook cool, and well, it's quiet

USBP_1969
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2007, 08:20 AM

Howdy.
I have been using the iBreeze 4 - 6 hours per day for over three years. My 12” PowerBook used to get quite hot, especially in the lower left corner. I tried both the Podium Pad and the KoolSink with little success, so when a fellow MacAttack team member suggested the iBreeze by MacMice I decided to order one. At first I was dubious because the price was so low compared to the others I had tried, but all I can say is Wow! My 12” PB now runs cool even when running DVD’s. Frankly, I can’t imagine being without one and I’m about to order another for my grand daughter’s new MacBook.

Rspy,
Kent

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 4, 2007, 12:07 PM

June '03 > Jan '04 > Jul '05 > May '07 . The thread that wouldn't die!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

kuchiki
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2007, 02:49 AM

Hi, I strongly recommend NOT purchasing the iBreeze...the fans that are built in are noisy and just not worth the money.
Instead I'd buy the koolsink instead. I have reviewed it on my blog and I was truly pleased with the product. A shame I had to return it after the testing period.

kuchiki
My newly created blog about the Macbook and home of iMountIt
News, Reviews, Tutorials, Giveaways and more.
Visit: Days of our Macbooks

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2007, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Charles Bouldin View Post
They've discontinued it
no actually just renamed it and made it with aluminum parts now Griffin Technology: Elevator - Desktop Stand for Personal Computers
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2007, 02:20 PM

i also use the ibreeze, and no problems here;seems quiet enough (i only hear the fans if i lean in and listen for them);
i like having the usb port repeated (so i don't lose one with the unit).

*another post in the thread-that-will-not-die...*
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2007, 10:53 PM

Targus X-Stand.

Targus�|�AWE09US�–�Targus Ergonomic X-Stand for Notebooks

Only $30. Passive. Fits any size Mac. Collapses for easy travel. Looks good under and MBP.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2007, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
Targus X-Stand.

Targus�|�AWE09US�–�Targus Ergonomic X-Stand for Notebooks

Only $30. Passive. Fits any size Mac. Collapses for easy travel. Looks good under and MBP.

i travel with the 'x-stand' (which targus ripped off,but hey...)
at my desk,the ibreeze is nice because it draws heat away from my powerbook.
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Forum Links
Forum Rules