Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 1:1 iBook Educational Deployment: Success story/movie...

1:1 iBook Educational Deployment: Success story/movie...
gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2004, 06:55 PM

I ran across this video in regards to one of the nation's largest 1:1 educational deployments of iBooks and thought it would be good to share since it's pretty awesome to say the least...

District 54: Schaumburg, IL

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2004, 09:49 PM

Yup I have hear wondrous stories from relatives around maine about the ibook deployments, the only complaint was that my cousin can't load any of his games on to it or install any software for that matter.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

gorickey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2004, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by G4ME:
....the only complaint was that my cousin can't load any of his games on to it or install any software for that matter.
That's a GOOD thing within education, especially since students don't own the computers, they are owned by the district and their property and the students are basically "renting" them...

vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2004, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
That's a GOOD thing within education, especially since students don't own the computers, they are owned by the district and their property and the students are basically "renting" them...

My partner did his observations (he's student teaching this semester, hopefully to be employed in Hanover County next year) in Henrico County, which was (if I remember correctly) the first school district in the country to try the iBooks, and had quite a few... vehement opinions about them. Say what you will about the educational merits of the program, but Henrico's definitely gotten the bugs ironed out of their system. Another friend of mine substitute teaches in Henrico (heads up, CrazedVW) and can't even get outside the filters & security systems on his personal iBook, it's locked up that tightly.

gorickey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2004, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by vcutag:
Another friend of mine substitute teaches in Henrico (heads up, CrazedVW) and can't even get outside the filters & security systems on his personal iBook, it's locked up that tightly.
Which is exactly the way it should be IMHO. The iBook should ONLY be used for educational purposes, and the only way to do that is to lock it down so you can't install things onto it, boot off CD's on it, and of course the internet filters have to be top-notch....sounds like Henrico is doing a very good job....

vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2004, 12:42 AM

Which is exactly the way it should be IMHO. The iBook should ONLY be used for educational purposes, and the only way to do that is to lock it down so you can't install things onto it, boot off CD's on it, and of course the internet filters have to be top-notch....sounds like Henrico is doing a very good job....
Oh, don't get me wrong, they've got that network locked up tigheter than a virgin in a convent. But there's been a huge debate about the iBook as a teaching tool in Henrico. Combine w/ the push to "justify" the expense with teachers having to utilize the Virginia Standards of Learning (SOLs, or "**** out of Luck" tests as we called them in my day), the teachers themselves aren't very big fans of them. There's also logistical problems, etc, especially since they've extended the program to middle school (essentially grades 6-12 now.)

I can't imagine a 6th grader with their own laptop. I graduated high school in 2000, but that's still long ago enough for me to have learned typing on a typewriter. When I was in 6th grade, we had 5 LCII Macs and a lab full of Apple IIGSs in our school, and that was it. What a difference 10 years makes, eh?

/un-necessary reminiscing

gorickey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2004, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by vcutag:
I can't imagine a 6th grader with their own laptop.
District 54 is each 4th, 5th, and 6th grader gets their own iBook...can you imagine that?

vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2004, 10:09 AM

District 54 is each 4th, 5th, and 6th grader gets their own iBook...can you imagine that?

Craziness.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2004, 12:37 PM

This is pretty amazing. It's definitely a nice story to hear about.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules