Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Menu Calendar: Just got better...

Menu Calendar: Just got better...
gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2004, 04:22 PM

One of my favorite little freeware utilities has been updated today and sports an array of new features/look...if you currently use or are in the need for a calendar up in your menu bar (among other features), this is the place to look and start:

Menu Calendar 2.0b1

threestain
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2004, 09:58 AM

But the calendar window doesn't shrink back into the menubar - just stays there nice and ugly!

Anyone got a solution, or does it need a bit of work in the beta?

gorickey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2004, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by threestain:
But the calendar window doesn't shrink back into the menubar - just stays there nice and ugly!

Anyone got a solution, or does it need a bit of work in the beta?
Weird...I don't see that here, it's working flawlessly; however, being a beta, it doesn't surprise me I guess if a few glitches are here and there...

threestain
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 02:39 PM

Now that Menu Calendar is no longer free (version 2), and is still pretty ugly, I've been looking around for a replacement - and I have found calendarclock - looks more OS X, and does all that menu calendar does for $15, but as donationware! Plus it integrates with butler (though I use launchbar - much better in my opinion! )

Have a look its well good

threestain
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 02:49 PM

Well I say its better, and it does look better, but it also puts a spacky clock there, or you can't make the calendar hide. Its not bad for a first release though!

Calendar Clock v1

badtz
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 05:08 PM

Well I say its better, and it does look better, but it also puts a spacky clock there, or you can't make the calendar hide. Its not bad for a first release though!

Calendar Clock v1

Can it import your address book birthday's to your iCal Calendar? [like Menucalendar]

Is it suppose to replace your system's clock?

drainyoo
Senior User
Jul 28, 2004, 09:43 PM

Now that Menu Calendar is no longer free (version 2), and is still pretty ugly, I've been looking around for a replacement - and I have found calendarclock - looks more OS X, and does all that menu calendar does for $15, but as donationware! Plus it integrates with butler (though I use launchbar - much better in my opinion! )

Have a look its well good
Ugly? What are you talking about? It looks fine.

Also there is a close button to hide the window.
i hate project managers.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 28, 2004, 10:40 PM

Why is the calendar always in the upper right hand corner, instead of under the menu item?

gorickey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2004, 11:08 PM

I'm sticking with Menu Calendar....

threestain
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 08:05 AM

I meant the CalendarClock program does not have a hide button.

MenuCalendar is a good little program, but I don't think its quite as pretty as CalendarClock.

The clock is meant to replace the system clock, though you can get it to display whatever you want (date time location etc. Am going to fiddle later to see if it can be made to show nothing).

Crucially though its free, and also it should encourage development on both sides, so that both programs get better.

unsure of the birthdays as of yet, but all other functions of menucalendar seem to be there

The calendar position has an option to keep it in the top right corner - go to preferences and unclick it is you like

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2004, 08:30 AM

i thought it was freeware?

seems good though, might have to edit the icon. i feel it is a big big.

gorickey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2004, 08:44 AM

I remember that MenuCalendar was free at first (and still is unless you want a " full feature-complete" version) and so I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see CalendarClock go towards a fee for certain requested features as well in the future...

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
I remember that MenuCalendar was free at first (and still is unless you want a " full feature-complete" version) and so I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see CalendarClock go towards a fee for certain requested features as well in the future...
I'm not so sure. CalendarClock is by the same fella as Butler, a program with so many features it replaces about six other programs - and Butler has continued to be free. Also Butler, and I expect CalendarClock, is updated very regularly, so any features it is missing will probably appear soon.

threestain
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 03:00 AM

CalendarClock has most of the 'full version' features of menu calendar. Also menu calender only become shareware when it passed from guido neitzer to objective park.

also you can make the clock display nothing but still be clickable, which is quite handy. Overall at the moment it looks rather interesting.

threestain
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2004, 05:27 PM

Both calendarclock and menu calendar have been updated now - menu calendar is at 2.5b1 and calendar clock is up to 1.0b2

gorickey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2004, 10:59 PM

Both calendarclock and menu calendar have been updated now - menu calendar is at 2.5b1 and calendar clock is up to 1.0b2
Yikes, Menu Calendar changed the UI with this release...not sure if I like it as much as before. I guess Calendarclock is looking better and better...

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 4, 2004, 03:21 AM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
Why is the calendar always in the upper right hand corner, instead of under the menu item?
This got fixed. Excellent.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2004, 04:10 AM

I'm really liking calendarclock. Very easy to format and lots of options.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

badtz
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2004, 06:54 PM

I emailed the developer about adding birthday importing from the address book, and birthday notifications ..... [to match MenuCalendar]

otherwise, I'd say CalendarClock is the better app.

gorickey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2004, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by badtz:
I emailed the developer about adding birthday importing from the address book, and birthday notifications ..... [to match MenuCalendar]
Knowing that developer, he'll have it added by this evening and a release tomorrow...

badtz
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2004, 07:21 PM

Knowing that developer, he'll have it added by this evening and a release tomorrow...

i haven't received an email back, but I'm really hoping this feature is added [soon? ]!

[there's another suggestion, but that's very minor you want to know what it is you say? lol .... the ability to have underlines for highlighting iCal events on the CalendarClock calendar, instead of highlighting the whole box (as that looks kind of ugly)]

threestain
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 05:09 PM

"MenuCalendarClock will be distributed by Objectpark Software (press release). Users who have donated for Calendarclock before the announcement of MenuCalendarClock (August 9, 2004) will be entitled to a free registration code for MenuCalendarClock. Calendarclock will not be available as a download after August 13, 2004."

Damn ObjectivePark!

Well download it now to prevent it losing the freeness!

gorickey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2004, 05:19 PM

I have seen the future!

Told ya so...

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 07:48 PM

So what happened here? Did they buy him out or something because they saw this freeware was better than their app?

As long as Butler doesn't go the same route I'll be happy. I don't mind much about the calendar, it does all I want it to now (since I don't really use iCal reminders or any of that fancy stuff, just want a calendar in my menu bar, hey that rhymes - they should call it calenbar )

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 12:41 AM

Unfortunately, I came to the game a month too late and now I'm wanting for a free menu calendar app. Stupid Objectpark. Do they even do any of their own developing? Or are they like a venture capitalist that buys stuff to profit from other's work? Oh, well. Does anyone have any different freeware suggestions? MacUpdate and VersionTracker don't have much.

On a related note, is there any reason why a plugin for QuickSilver couldn't be written so we could search calendars, too?
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2004, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by TimmyDee51:
Does anyone have any different freeware suggestions? MacUpdate and VersionTracker don't have much.
You can check wClock
It's donationware.

threestain
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 03:05 PM

its ok, but nowhere near as pretty as the last free version of calendar clock unfortunately...

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 02:05 AM

I'm going to have to put in a plug for MiCal, you can find it on VersionTracker. It does everything I need it to do. No Bloat and easy easy easy!

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by iDriveX:
I'm going to have to put in a plug for MiCal, you can find it on VersionTracker. It does everything I need it to do. No Bloat and easy easy easy!
Yeah, but it's not free. . .
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Forum Links
Forum Rules