Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > otto matic freeze up

otto matic freeze up
suprz's ghost
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2003, 01:52 PM

mods, if this is in the wrong forum please move it)
anyways, i just got my ibook 700mhz 128mb ram osx10.2 and i wanted to try out the otto matic game that came with it. when i clicked the icon it went through the regular screens up to the point where you choose what you want to do (quit, play game, settings etc..)and the music was playing and there was movement on the screen, but i could not control anything. it was like my keyboard wasnt connected! i couldnt even quit or force quit the game.i tried to hold the on/off switch and got nothing, i literally had to unplug the ibook and take the battery out. once i put the battery in and plugged the ibook back in it booted fine but i havent tried it since.
what do you guys think happened?
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"...Albert Einstein

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Mar 27, 2003, 07:13 PM

That's actually a problems that affects a number of games. Some think it has to do with OS X not recognizing that a game is in progress, and trying to put the system to sleep.

Here's what to do...

1. In Energy Saver Preferences, make sure your computer is set to never go to sleep.

2. Make sure that it is not set to put the display to sleep.

3. Make sure it is set not to put the hard disk to sleep when possible.

I use to have the same kind of problems when playing Starcraft. As soon as I made those changes, it never happens anymore. Once you're done playing, just reset them the way you want them.

Also, if it happens again, just close the lid on the iBook. Wait a few seconds and then open it. After its open, it will take a few more seconds for it to go to sleep, then open the lid to wake it up. A lot better and easier than pulling the battery.

Forum Links
Forum Rules