Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Can anyone mail me a floppy with System 6 installed?

Can anyone mail me a floppy with System 6 installed?
mindwaves
Mar 12, 2006, 08:14 PM

I just got a SE/30 and I'm anxious to get it working. It has a blinking question mark on top of a floppy and I figured I need System 6 to run it. Still determining if it has a HD inside. But I don't have a floppy drive anymore. Can anyone put System 6 on an 800k floppy for me? Thanks. I will pay any mailing fees via paypal if needed.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 07:41 AM

Mactracker says that the SE/30 came with a 1.44MB floppy drive and would handle up to System 7.5.5.

http://store.yahoo.com/hardcoremac/macos7onfl.html

There is OS 7.5.3 on 1.44MB floppies, in case you were willing to blow 42 bucks to get that thing running.

ChrisF
Senior User
Mar 13, 2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tuoder
There is OS 7.5.3 on 1.44MB floppies, in case you were willing to blow 42 bucks to get that thing running.
You can download floppy images for 7.5.3 free from Apple but not having a floppy drive makes using them a challenge.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisF
You can download floppy images for 7.5.3 free from Apple but not having a floppy drive makes using them a challenge.
I searched for that, but could not find the link. I have a PBG3 and a Superdisk drive for it. If I had the link, and a cuppla bucks for disks, I could do it.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 02:08 PM

you can get to the images from here i think...

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple...tware_Updates/

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 03:13 PM

that looks like just the updates

ChrisF
Senior User
Mar 13, 2006, 07:28 PM

that looks like just the updates
7.5.3 is here.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisF
7.5.3 is here.
Bookmarked. I dont have any floppies around, at least not that many.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2006, 06:22 PM

I searched for that, but could not find the link. I have a PBG3 and a Superdisk drive for it. If I had the link, and a cuppla bucks for disks, I could do it.
Can Superdisk drives write to 800KB floppies or am I thinking it's USB floppy drives that can't?

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2006, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by bradoesch
Can Superdisk drives write to 800KB floppies or am I thinking it's USB floppy drives that can't?
I really don't know. I haven't tried to use an 800k disk with mine. When USB flash came out, I stopped using floppies. I didn't use them much when CD burners came out.

Bandit240
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2006, 12:09 PM

i just got a SE with a bunch of 800k floppies. I can make some copys of the system disks and send them to ya. PM me with your info.

R0CK3TM4NN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2006, 12:00 AM

If you still have any 800 k floppies, would you mind sending some system 6.0.8 my way?
If you still have some, I will PM you my info.

I just got an SE (not an SE 30) at a garage sale for $5, but it gets a system error upon boot. I does have an after market hd in it also, and I think it might even be a 40 mb.

Bandit240
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2006, 11:29 AM

Ok ive been a little behind on things since moving. Im going to send the floppies out to mindwaves here pretty soon. How about i send the disks to mindwaves, he gets his install done and sends the floppies out to someone else? I dont have a bunch of 800k's that i can spare as they are getting hard to find.

R0CK3TM4NN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2006, 04:03 PM

Sounds cool to me.

mindwaves  (op)
Apr 17, 2006, 10:59 AM

Thanks. I will do that.

Bandit240
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2006, 04:26 PM

Good. Ill take the stuff to the boat with me tonight and make some copies. My PB 145B should be able to make the copies just fine.

R0CK3TM4NN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2006, 11:51 PM

Mindwaves, just post here or PM me when you are finished with the disks, and I will PM you my address and stuff.

Thanks a lot, Bandit240!
and also mindwaves!

mindwaves  (op)
Apr 24, 2006, 12:49 PM

Hmm...I still have not received anything. Should I be worried?

R0CK3TM4NN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2006, 10:04 PM

He may not have had time to send the disks/make them yet.
I say we be patient, he is being very kind to send us the disks. (well, you to me)

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 26, 2006, 10:37 PM

I don't know if 6.0.8 is an appropriate system for an SE/30 - it might run but it's a bit below spec (an SE is a 16mhz 68030) - see if you can find System 7.1 perhaps? It's probably on an abandonware site somewhere

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

R0CK3TM4NN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2006, 11:33 PM

mindwaves, any news?

Bandit240
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2006, 09:17 AM

Sorry guys, ive been very busy latley. Im going to be at the house all day today so ill pull out the SE and make the disks. The floppies have been riding around in my truck waiting on me to make copies.

Bandit240
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2006, 11:44 AM

Ok guys, making the copies right now. Got to test the disks afterwards. Im sending 5 disks, Macintosh SE Tour, Macintosh System Tools, Macintosh Printing Tools and Macintosh Utilities Disks 1 and 2. Im still amazed how quick this old computer can be. It boots up in under 20 seconds. 6.0.1 should fly on a SE/30.

Bandit240
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2006, 12:07 PM

Ok, disks are copied. For some reason i couldnt make a copy of the SE Tour, so im sending an Apple disk, since ive got 3 copies of it. Disks with bootable writen on them can be booted from as they have a system folder on them. Disks marked Not Bootable have no system folder, therefor cant be booted from. The installer is on one of the bootable disk. They are going to be mailed out today. Sorry for the delay, just got busy with the boat and all.

R0CK3TM4NN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2006, 08:32 PM

Cool, thanks Bandit240!
I am so excited.

Again, I can't thank you enough.

mindwaves  (op)
May 3, 2006, 04:08 PM

Thanks. I await their arrival.

R0CK3TM4NN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2006, 10:21 PM

Cool, when you are finished with them, just post here, or PM me, and I will PM you my shipping info.
When I am done with them, where should I send them? Back to Bandit240, or do they need to take another stop?

Bandit240
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2006, 10:34 PM

I dont know if they have any more stops after you vader. I guess if no one needs them send them back my way, ill stash them for the next person. Maybe we should post a ad in the marketplace to see if anyone else needs them.

R0CK3TM4NN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2006, 11:51 PM

Sounds like a plan, I will let you make the post since they are your disks, and I am new here.
Or I could do it since I would be the one sending, either way.

Oh, and by the way, how much are those disks to ship?

ibookuser2
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2006, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bandit240
I dont have a bunch of 800k's that i can spare as they are getting hard to find.
Just FYI - you can actually use high-density 1.44 MB floppies as 800k disks. There are two holes in an HD disk - one is the write-protect hole, and the other identifies it as high-density. If you cover the HD hole with a piece of tape, an older Mac should be able to format it as 800k.

If you format the disk with a machine old enough not to have a high-density drive, you don't even need to cover the hole. (Though, if you're trying to use a high-density disk in a Mac with a 400k drive, you have to cover the hole for another reason: the mechanical switch that detects a disk in the drive is in the same place as the hole and won't detect the disk unless it's covered.)

mindwaves  (op)
May 6, 2006, 12:06 PM

Just as a FYI, I won't be checking my mail until Monday. Thanks again!

R0CK3TM4NN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2006, 11:50 PM

Just checking in to see how its going.

mindwaves  (op)
May 13, 2006, 02:05 AM

Everything is fine. I'll probably fiddle around with them this week and send them to Vader. PM me with your contact info.

Thanks Bandit240!!

R0CK3TM4NN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2006, 11:15 AM

Cool, you got them!
Before you ship, can you tell me how much it will cost?

I say this because I fond out that my school has some old macs, an I might be able to use one of those.

But if the shipping is relatively cheap, then that will be the easiest way.

mindwaves  (op)
May 14, 2006, 03:48 AM

It will be for free. The same cost as Bandit240 charged me. Let me know.

R0CK3TM4NN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2006, 11:01 PM

I know that, but I just wanted to know how much shipping would be approximately.
If it is less than $5 for shipping it is worth it to me, but if it is more, then it is not worth it.
I don't want you to waste time and money shipping them to me, since I *might* be able to create the disks in a week or two.

R0CK3TM4NN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2006, 08:55 PM

Well, I guess just ship them. PMing you the info now...

Vader
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2006, 12:24 PM

Hey, so my account got deleted, and I hadn't visited this site in about three weeks because I was busy trying to get an iPod nano which i now have. Anyway, if anyone sent me any PMs in the past month, I did not get them.
I had to re-register my account and posting was not working last night, so I hope this post will work.

ssma2005
Oct 15, 2006, 07:51 AM

Hey I was scouring the internet for info on my Macintosh Plus (1987 model) which I picked up at a garage sale for $5 and found this forum. I was hoping you guys may help me get this old beast running. I have cleaned it up and it's ready to run complete with power cable and keyboard but, no mouse. I'm hoping you can use the keyboard only like with Windows?
Anyway to the more important part! The machine boots up when power is on and displays an icon which is obviously asking where is the floppy disk? So I gather there is no internal hard drive or no OS installed? Anyhow I have been reading some info about the floppy drive which apparently can only read 800kb disks? I have found a bunch of 720kb DD disks on Ebay and was hoping they would be suitable?? 800kb disks seem impossible to find...
I have downloaded System 6.08 (Mac OS) and a format utility which formats disks using the hfs file system through Windows, which I hope is the correct file system for my Mac? So basically I am wondering if it is possible to format the floppies in Windows using the hfs file system (I am using MacDisk) and copy the OS files onto the floppy? Any help is appreciated, I am clueless as to what I have to do..Thanks in advance

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2006, 09:44 AM

why don't you just ask for a harddrive with system 6 on it = killing two birds with one stone. Many people have hard-drives that are old and too small for use now. 20/40/60/80/120/240 MB hard drives they will just give to you. To get these cases (Mac Plus/SE) open you need a 18" torx or hex screwdriver (look by handle for the two holes) = hard to find. But having the hard-drive is the way to go.

I have all the system 6 and 7 disks also. For an older Mac like a MacPlus you may want to stay away from system 7. My crap is under a stack of crap, but if motivated I will dig and dig until I get that booger out.

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2006, 09:45 AM

subscribed

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2006, 12:47 PM

My grandfather's office had a pair of SE/30s that ran System 5.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules