Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Tagging Movies & TV Shows Properly in iTunes

Tagging Movies & TV Shows Properly in iTunes
iDriveX
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2007, 05:07 PM

Are there any programs out there that will let me tag my own movies and TV shows in iTunes like they come pretagged when you buy from the iTunes Music Store?

I bought Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and noticed that it has a "PG" Icon and then tells you the Actors, Director, and Producer when you are viewing it on the Apple TV. But there's no way (As far as I can tell) in iTunes to edit those fields, or for the movies that I own that I have backed up to my Mac Mini & iTunes, there doesn't seem to be a way to enter that information.

I've seen a command line program called Atomic Parsley but was hoping there would be something a little more....user friendly.

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

torifile
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2007, 05:45 PM

Try a google search for "Lostify". It's a GUI frontend for atomic parsley.

iDriveX  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2007, 06:23 PM

Yeah I've used Lostify for my television shows. But it doesn't have the same fields as downloaded movies from iTunes. On my Apple TV it looks like this:

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Genre: Star Trek
Released : 2001
Length: 1:53:00

The three fields I have bolded are the three fields I can't find on how to edit. No matter what you put into Lostify, you can't seem to put it in the Actors, Director, or Producer field. Anyone else have any ideas?

krove
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2007, 06:47 PM

KHAN!!!!

(sorry, couldn't resist! )

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2007, 07:29 PM

iDriveX - Parsley is Atomically Delicious will do it for you.

Version 1.5 has the following features/fixes:
Added an Actors field for Movies. This is placed in the Artist tag like movies from the iTunes Store.
Added a DVD field for Movies. This is placed in the Album tag like movies from the iTunes Store.
Added a Director field for Movies. This is placed in the Album artist field like movies from the iTunes Store.
If I read that correctly, you place the Actors in the Artist tag, Director in the Album. Producer I'm not sure.

I haven't tried this yet, so keep us updated whether it works please.

iDriveX  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2007, 10:03 PM

It does not work. After using Atomic Parsley is Delicious, I tagged it with a description, a picture, a director & actors. It looks like it is missing a Producer tag and the MPAA Rating tag modification. After the tagging was completed, I added it to iTunes, fired up the Apple TV and the only thing that stuck was the description, Genre, and Picture. No Actors or Director.

iDriveX  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2007, 10:25 PM

Also just tried Metadata Hootenanny. That allows you to edit the tags, but when you save the movie nothing carries over into iTunes or the Apple TV, even more useless than Atomic Parsley is Delicious.

Forum Links
Forum Rules