Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Lost my Office 2004 for Mac CD

Lost my Office 2004 for Mac CD
loveanh
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2007, 11:04 AM

I only got a chance to install the disc once on my iMac and I've lost the disc, is there anything Apple can do for me?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2007, 11:30 AM

Where did you buy it? You might be able to persuade them to send you a replacement, but I doubt it.

loveanh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2007, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Where did you buy it? You might be able to persuade them to send you a replacement, but I doubt it.
I bought it from the apple store, doesn't apple have a record of how many times I've installed this and since I registered it, don't they have a record of this?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2007, 12:11 PM

I don't know - call them up and ask...

ChrisF
Senior User
Mar 21, 2007, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by loveanh View Post
I bought it from the apple store, doesn't apple have a record of how many times I've installed this and since I registered it, don't they have a record of this?
Apple will have no record of anything aside from the fact you purchased the software. You may be able to download the demo and enter your serial #, if you have it. If the software was registered with Microsoft, you can contact them; otherwise, you're out of luck.

loveanh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2007, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
Apple will have no record of anything aside from the fact you purchased the software. You may be able to download the demo and enter your serial #, if you have it. If the software was registered with Microsoft, you can contact them; otherwise, you're out of luck.
I remember when I purchased the item it said i was only able to download it three times, how can Apple keep track then?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2007, 01:22 PM

Honestly, call Apple about this. They might be able to help you!

ChrisF
Senior User
Mar 21, 2007, 01:28 PM

I remember when I purchased the item it said i was only able to download it three times, how can Apple keep track then?
You're talking about Microsoft software, not an Apple product. The license may have been for 3 installations but Apple is not tracking it, nor is Microsoft, currently.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2007, 01:40 PM

You bought the MS Office 2004 Home edition, it gives you three licenses to install on your home network. The installation is from the CD, you aren't "downloading" it from anywhere. It wouldn't matter where you bought it from, CDW, MacMall, eBay, where ever. I have seen the Apple store honor a damaged CD, but if it is lost, it is lost. However, given its price, it is worth a call!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2007, 09:35 PM

The Apple store owes you nothing. You purchased a Microsoft product. Microsoft customer support may be able to send you another CD if you provide them with your serial number.

loveanh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2007, 10:45 PM

I'll call Microsoft and Apple tomorrow to see if either of them can help me.

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2007, 07:05 PM

I'll call Microsoft and Apple tomorrow to see if either of them can help me.
Good luck, but again, Apple won't do jack for you as it's not their software. They may have record of purchase but they have no possible way to see where you installed it and how many times.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2007, 07:50 PM

"Apple won't do jack..."
Technically, not true: the contract between the buyer and the seller is just that: whoever sells you something is responsible to "make good" on the sale (for example, if you bought Office at an Apple store, and the CD was bad, the Apple store would replace it, not MS).

That said, in this case, things are a little more tricky. Say I bought a pair of jeans from retail store X, made by Y, and I lose them: no-one is under any obligation to replace them. If you do have your serial number, you might be able to get some help, but neglect is not the responsibility of either seller or manufacturer.

No-one would ever suggest you simply download a BitTorrent of the CD and use that with your serial number, that would not be legal.

torifile
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2007, 05:49 PM

Why is this even a question? You lost something. The retailer doesn't replace it. That's that.

Now, if you've got your serial number, you can probably get something from MS or you may be able to download it from MS and put your serial number in. Or, if that doesn't work, use bittorrent to find a dmg of the install disc and put your serial number in there. There's nothing, IMHO, that violates the spirit of the law if you do that. But that's a worst case scenario.

dzp111
Senior User
Mar 26, 2007, 09:41 AM

I also lost my CD, 3 Macs ago. All I did was drag Office folder with Apps inside onto the other computer. Works fine.

DewD
Mar 29, 2007, 12:25 AM

If you feel like trying the Captain Jack Sparrow route and have your original legal serial number handy, then use the peer to peer app LimeWire to fetch an entire MSO 2004 install .dmg I noticed that MSO 2004 Install was available from a heap of hosts should you choose to sail those waters. If your serial number is truely good, it may suffice. Dunno. I use Neo.

loveanh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2007, 10:01 AM

Sounds good, thanks folks.

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2007, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by dimmer View Post
"Apple won't do jack..."

No-one would ever suggest you simply download a BitTorrent of the CD and use that with your serial number, that would not be legal.
Normally I wouldn't offer anyone to do that but under the circumstances since he owns a license legally (by Microsoft laws) there's really nothing wrong with getting a copy from a peer 2 peer sight. It's the same as buying a copy of Windows XP/Vista, you are actually buying the license and not the software so if you lose your XP install disc and use someone elses it's fine as long as you use your own purchased license key.
I say go for it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules