Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Parallels Gurus

Parallels Gurus
silverflyer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2007, 05:05 PM

This message keeps coming up when starting parallels on an Intel iMac running both OSX 10.4.10 and WinXP with Parallels.

"The screen resolution in the guest OS cannot be set because it is low
on video memory.
The display may not be optimal. Please increase virtual machine video
memory.
To increase amount of video memory shutdown the virtual machine,
set new virtual machine video memory size
(Edit Configuration -> Memory -> Video Memory)."

How can this be fixed, Video memory has already been raised to the max 64mb setting.
( Last edited by silverflyer; Oct 11, 2007 at 05:17 PM. )
Mac Pro Dual Quad 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 4x 1 Terabyte hdd's, 8800GT, 30inch Samsung display running OSX Leopard Server
15 inch Macbook Pro Unibody and Apple 24 inch LED Display.

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2007, 04:00 PM

Have you installed the Parallels Tools?
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

silverflyer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2007, 04:49 PM

I will check, I am sure I did. I was able to log in and edit the video memory up to the max of 64mb.

If I did or didnt, what should I do once they are installed, or once I find out they are already installed?
Mac Pro Dual Quad 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 4x 1 Terabyte hdd's, 8800GT, 30inch Samsung display running OSX Leopard Server
15 inch Macbook Pro Unibody and Apple 24 inch LED Display.

aslam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2007, 06:33 PM

I have the same issue. Anyone have any ideas? I most certainly have installed the parallels tools.

I also get an error in XP that the Virtual Memory Page size is not large enough. I'm not sure if they are related.

I'm running on a MBP 2.4 with 4GB of RAM (2GB assigned to Parallels.) Video memory has been maxed out to 64 MB (it's kinda frustrating to have the 64MB limit when my video card has 256 on it.

Thanks,
Aslam

hymonb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2007, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by silverflyer View Post
This message keeps coming up when starting parallels on an Intel iMac running both OSX 10.4.10 and WinXP with Parallels.

"The screen resolution in the guest OS cannot be set because it is low
on video memory.
The display may not be optimal. Please increase virtual machine video
memory.
To increase amount of video memory shutdown the virtual machine,
set new virtual machine video memory size
(Edit Configuration -> Memory -> Video Memory)."

How can this be fixed, Video memory has already been raised to the max 64mb setting.
I get this error when Parallels sits unused for a while (often screen will blank). Dismissing the error message and letting the program stabilize for about a minute returns Parallels to its usual function. I have this problem on both a MacBook Pro, and iMac. I have not yet tried the beta version 5570 to see if this helps.

MacBooky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2007, 03:04 PM

I got this error too, and I thought that it was because I was using an external monitor with my MacBook Pro.

After reading the manual, it seems like it's better to set the video memory to 16MB (max. recommended size.)
Once I changed mine to 16MB, the error went away.
Parallels does have its quirkiness. I'm sure everyone sees the "Boot Camp image not found!" error once in a while.

Forum Links
Forum Rules