Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > selling recovered macbook

selling recovered macbook
leostar88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2008, 04:29 PM

Hey I am planning on selling a few MacBooks that were used in my uncle's business since he upgraded to Pros. The MacBooks and other a/v equipment were stolen from his business but recovered a few days later when the guys were caught after another robbery. They knew what they were doing though because the serials were already cut out of the back and even erased from inside the computer's memory. When you look up the serial its just all 0s. I don't even know how they did it, but I'm worried now that these notebooks are going to seem really sketchy or stolen when I sell them because everything I've looked at says how important the serial numbers are, and I haven't been able to get the original serials. Is it an issue if I just explain this to the seller or what should I do? Any response is helpful. Thanks.

Cold Warrior
Jul 9, 2008, 04:34 PM

Use the restore/system discs that came with the MacBooks. Once the system software is restored, someone will be able to read the serials using built-in software.

coreythemagnificent46
Steven Landon
Marketplace Fame
Jul 9, 2008, 07:52 PM

If you take it to an apple dealer they will be able to reserialize the board.. When I bought my MB from Best Buy they replaced the LB and didnt reserialze the board.. a quick trip to the apple store and they had my serial number all ready to go

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2008, 08:21 PM

How do you erase the serial off a Mac anyways ?

Is there software that does that, or do you need to alter the hardware ?

-t

leostar88  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2008, 11:38 AM

I did use the software and wiped the macbooks all clean using the 7-time erase feature, and then reinstalled the software. Everything installs perfectly fine and even lets you register with Apple even though its not the original serial number. The only real issue is that the original serial numbers aren't there, but it doesn't actually affect anything since there is no Applecare or anything. And also, to reserialize, wouldn't the Apple dealer need my original serials? I guess it was poor planning but I don't have the serials recorded or anything. I'm not sure what else to do.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 10, 2008, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by leostar88 View Post
I did use the software and wiped the macbooks all clean using the 7-time erase feature, and then reinstalled the software. Everything installs perfectly fine and even lets you register with Apple even though its not the original serial number. The only real issue is that the original serial numbers aren't there, but it doesn't actually affect anything since there is no Applecare or anything. And also, to reserialize, wouldn't the Apple dealer need my original serials? I guess it was poor planning but I don't have the serials recorded or anything. I'm not sure what else to do.
Do you have boxes, receipts, order numbers, emails, anything that will have a serial on it?

leostar88  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2008, 01:50 PM

I definitely don't and I don't think my uncle does either to be honest. They are a few years old and he just gave them to me to sell and get rid of because he's upgraded. I know everything works perfectly fine because I use one of them and it works great but I just don't know if it is an issue selling them with no serial numbers as far as Apple is concerned or just if the buyer would have an issue with it. Personally I don't care at all because there is no warranty left and there is nothing I would need the serial for but I'm sure there are others who don't feel the way I do.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2008, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
How do you erase the serial off a Mac anyways ?

Is there software that does that, or do you need to alter the hardware ?
It's a piece of software AASPs have. I actually doubt 'regular' thieves (as opposed to insiders) would have a copy. This stuff isn't exactly easy to come by.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
It's a piece of software AASPs have. I actually doubt 'regular' thieves (as opposed to insiders) would have a copy. This stuff isn't exactly easy to come by.
Actually, it's rather easy to get.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2008, 02:11 PM

Indeed.

leostar88  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2008, 11:26 AM

well then should I try to get that software and put in a new serial, because since I don't have the originals I think that would be just as bad as leavin it like it is anyways. Any other thoughts on my situation or should I just put them for sale and tell the people who want to purchase them that there are no serials or anything?

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2008, 12:43 PM

Since you don't know the original serials, I suggest you sell them as is.

leostar88  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2008, 10:25 AM

any other input or suggestions? or is it just agreed that I should sell them with no serials anyway

Deenoe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2008, 11:32 AM

Well your best luck would be to sell it on eBay. You might not get as much as a serialized one, because it looks sketchy; but you'll still get money out of it. Personally, I'd be ready to buy one.

Maybe a way to comfort your potential buyers; do you have a police report for the incident? Scan it, and put it in the gallery of the auction.

charlespsu
Jul 22, 2008, 09:33 PM

Sounds pretty fishy - especially from a new user.

kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2008, 08:58 AM

I do have to agree with charlespsu, this all does strange.

But to give the original poster the benefit of the doubt...

Why don't you call apple, and tell them your uncle's information. They should be able to track down the macbook info that way.
I Love This Forum!
Macbook Pro 2ghz 2gb/250gb/256 Video/wireless n
Mac Mini C2D 2ghz/4gb/SD

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2008, 10:41 AM

Every computer has a unique MAC address, email to Apple and they can give you serial number

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2008, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by charlespsu View Post
Sounds pretty fishy - especially from a new user.
Exactly.

Glad we have a 100 post minimum before people can post in the MP.

acorder
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2008, 02:15 PM

You guys really think that someone trying to scam sales on a bunch of macbooks would start a thread to ask how to find out the serial numbers so that he can sell them legitimately?

Forum Links
Forum Rules